collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: In truck bed storage storage systems, anyone have one?  (Read 4496 times)

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
In truck bed storage storage systems, anyone have one?
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »
Any of you have any experience with these in bed storage systems like this https://decked.com/ or any others for that matter.

I don't want to put a canopy on this pickup so I'm thinking about going with one of these in bed storage systems but I'd like to hear from anyone that has or had or even has a buddy with one and what their experience with it was.  Are they all about the same or are some a lot better than others?

Thoughts???

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
Re: In truck bed storage storage systems, anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »
I don't but hunt with folks who have them. All three have "Truckvault" out of Sedro-Wooley. One had his Tahoe broken into on a bird hunt in Alberta, all they got was some of his decoys. I would get one if I traveled more to shoot or hunt.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:50:54 AM »
Have an electrician friend who built one, I think with garage door tracks for drawer slides... something mondo beefy like that. About half height of the bed. Was really cool. Lockable, and heavily built with 3/4 plywood. (He was a former cabinet and trim guy for a Yacht company.)

Basically he had an organized, segmented storage drawer that could pull out a full 8 ft, then when shut, he still had the use of his truck bed (only 1/2 the depth.) Fantasized several times about building one myself.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
The Truckvault All Weather appears to be what I'm looking for.  They claim this particular model is all sealed up and weather, water, dust, proof but who really knows how true that is.  Being weather/water tight is definitely at the top of my priority list.  It'd be nice if there is one out there that doesn't cost five grand though.  :o

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 12:47:59 PM »
Any of you have any experience with these in bed storage systems like this https://decked.com/ or any others for that matter.

I don't want to put a canopy on this pickup so I'm thinking about going with one of these in bed storage systems but I'd like to hear from anyone that has or had or even has a buddy with one and what their experience with it was.  Are they all about the same or are some a lot better than others?

Thoughts???

I've had the decked one in my Silverado since 2014.  But I have a canopy on my truck too.  I'm not sure it would be real effective at keeping stuff dry.  I know I still ended up with some dust in the drawers after driving dusty roads in Wyoming. 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 01:03:32 PM »
I've had the decked one in my Silverado since 2014.  But I have a canopy on my truck too.  I'm not sure it would be real effective at keeping stuff dry.  I know I still ended up with some dust in the drawers after driving dusty roads in Wyoming.

I've thought about going with the Decked system then adding a retractable tonneau cover but I'm not sure how weather/water tight those are either. 

Anyone know how weather/water tight any of the retractable tonneau covers are?

If the Truckvault AllWeather model truly is as weather, water, dust tight as they claim, I'd try and convince myself to cry once buy once, but if they aren't, then I'd be pizzed I spent that much.

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 08:46:28 PM »
I had a truckvault in my last truck. I miss having it. Was super nice to keep it packed full of gear, i always had what i needed with me. I could have drove into the woods for a week with what was in it and been fine, amd that was only 1 drawer. They dont hold any resale value at all it seems, and they are awfully expensive new.

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 09:01:39 PM »

I've thought about going with the Decked system then adding a retractable tonneau cover but I'm not sure how weather/water tight those are either. 

If the Truckvault AllWeather model truly is as weather, water, dust tight as they claim, I'd try and convince myself to cry once buy once, but if they aren't, then I'd be pizzed I spent that much.
One of the guys on the forum works for truck vault. I'll send him a pm and see if he can answer any of your questions, seems like a good guy.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 10:31:21 PM »

One of the guys on the forum works for truck vault. I'll send him a pm and see if he can answer any of your questions, seems like a good guy.
That would be great, thanks.

Online Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 12:25:04 AM »
Tagging along, been thinking about one for my truck as well.
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline lil_mac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 07:44:14 AM »
Hey guys,

I saw this thread and just wanted to do a quick post about the TruckVault All weather.  The sales team can answer more questions, but I will give you just the basics.  I have had Both DECKED and a couple of TruckVaults.

Decked is good for storage, awful for dust, and does ok with rain.  There are large gaps at the front that water can get into.  Condensation is areal problem.  The lock cam is very weak, but with locking tailgates it is not really an issue.  I don't think I ever stored a gun in my Decked unit.  Decked also doubles as a Canoe.

Truckvault is expensive, yes I know.  They are completely sprayed with Line-X bedliner.  Yes they are 100% weatherproof.  They have a bulb seal all around the drawer face.  You can spray the thing with a fire hose and zero water will get in.  The drawers are carpet lined or can be sprayed with the Line-x.  I have 1 drawer of each.  I store my guns in mine all the time with no issues.  The storage capacity is more on the TruckVault than the Decked.  And you get great local service.  :)

One option is the outlet on the TruckVault website, for used or returned units.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 07:58:41 AM »
Which of the three heights do you recommend?  How do they mount to the bed and is it a pretty straight forward do it yourself job?

Offline lil_mac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 07:23:26 PM »
Which of the three heights do you recommend?  How do they mount to the bed and is it a pretty straight forward do it yourself job?

I like Utility height (8" interior height).  Install depend on the vehicle.  Most trucks get 4 Turnbuckles or 4 L-brackets bolted to the bed, depending on what the customer prefers.  Decked is 4 J-hooks to the factory Tie down locations.  They all are pretty easy to install. 

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 10:39:01 AM »
That looks like the ticket!!  Going to buy a new truck later this year, going to put one of these in for sure!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
Very cool system.  Just FYI, I have a birthday coming up soon so............. :hello:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal