collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bullet Question  (Read 5881 times)

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Bullet Question
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 04:31:26 PM »
Mostly want the set up for elk, so it sounds like the two boxes of power belts I have are for sale then!  What grain is best ?  WSU, I had 290 grn in my older muzzy and had trouble killing a bull one year, took a couple good shots and then lived for about 10 minutes. The guy at the muzzy shop said 290 was too small for elk??
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 05:47:37 PM »
Mostly want the set up for elk, so it sounds like the two boxes of power belts I have are for sale then!  What grain is best ?  WSU, I had 290 grn in my older muzzy and had trouble killing a bull one year, took a couple good shots and then lived for about 10 minutes. The guy at the muzzy shop said 290 was too small for elk??

I have been adamant about shooting a 300 grain bullet when hunting elk - but truth be known that really isn't all that necessary.  It all depends on the "Terminal Performance" and the energy the bullet carries to the target.

The 290 Barnes is quite capable of bringing an elk down.  Big bulls in the rut can be a challenge for any bullet but they can be had. There really are a lot of bullets that will work. 

I just prefer the way that the Lehigh CF bullets work.  I think I have an explanation written out but not on this computer.  I will add it later.  Briefly it sheds the 6 petals on the nose in the liquid atmosphere of the chest cavity and the rest of the bullet continues through the animal and 99% of the time the bullet exits.  Creating 'hydro-static' damage as it travels and providing a exit blood letting hole.

Well I can not find the description I was looking for... so I will try to share how the bullet works.

The 265 bullet is a very hard copper bullet it does not operate that a typical bullet or a Barnes does. The bullet enters the chest cavity and at contact the bullet remains as it it was shot. The projectile enters the hide passes through it or bone until it reaches the fluid atmosphere of the chest cavity.  At that point the nose of the bullet starts to expand.  When the 6 petals expand to about 40* they them break off and move out into the organs of the chest rupturing adjacent organs.  The rest of the bullet, the bulk of the weight of the bullet, continues on through the animal creating additional hydro-static shock and will exit the opposite side of the animal creating a bloodletting hole.  The bullet in most cases creates such a traumatic shock to the animal it often over rides the animal 'flight response".

I am sorry I can not find the official description of the bullet operation - it so much more complete than this one.

This is the computed ballistic sheet for the Lehigh 265 gr. CF-HP

Note the available velocity and energy at 200 yards - easily enough to make the bullet work.

I will post this now and then come back and add how the Lehigh CF works

mike

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 07:50:01 PM by Sabotloader »
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Online JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 12:04:00 AM »
295 grain powerbelt is deadly on elk

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 01:56:35 AM »
   Hey folks,
 I just ordered and received a box of these to try in my ML.
Question I have is, have any of you tried/hunted with these
pure brass bullets from Lehigh Defense?
 I've searched off and on for a while for a bullet that would
"consistently" penetrate most anything that I might put in front of it.
But with that said, there needs to be sufficient terminal damage to go
with it and I'm wondering if some of you might know.

I can tell you Lehigh makes some of the most lethal performing bullets on the market. The XP bullet design is not really new but as has been suggested make sure that you can harvest animals with a non-expanding bullet.

If you look closely at the bullet especially the shape of the nose you will be able to see the by the design the tip nose is meant to collect and channel fluid.  It will collect a volume of fluid that is greater than can escape at the bottom of the groove. The fluid will be collected and the channeled back through the X squeezed to a fine beam of fluid and forced upward and outward from the bullets nose.  This stream,depending on velocity, will act a cutting device cutting/rupturing adjacent organs. The nose essentially creates four fluid cutting torches that radiate outward from the bullet.  In addition the velocity of the bullet passing through the fluid atmosphere creates Hydro-static pressure with the fluid atmosphere.  And the final advantage is in most cases the bullet will pass through and exit the opposite side of the animal providing a blood letting channel,

I have tested the bullet for accuracy and effect on water targets, but I have not used it as a hunting bullet. Others have!

How do people like you even exist lol :bash: I’ll continue to be ok at everything, and master nothing :chuckle:
It’s a shame Washington state considers muzzeloaders firearms and the feds don’t. Would be nice to be able to at least try it. Maybe someday they will come around?
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 08:19:37 AM »
smossy

How do people like you even exist lol :bash: I’ll continue to be ok at everything, and master nothing :chuckle:
It’s a shame Washington state considers muzzeloaders firearms and the feds don’t. Would be nice to be able to at least try it. Maybe someday they will come around?

I am not capturing what you are really saying here?

Would you clarify for me a little bit more?

mike

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »
Smossy can’t carry firearms.  I was going to say, it’s hard to imagine a 265 grn bullet being the best for elk ?  I no way am questioning your knowledge, it just surprises me and makes me second guess the light of a bullet.  But either way, it sounds like your 265 and the 295 would be better options than the 338 I was recommended. 

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 09:13:23 AM »
 :yeah: Felon. I bow hunt but the thought of other means was always nice... If they would ever open up big game hunting with air rifles, that would be the bees knees. Compressed air 350g projectile.. No powder, low noise..  :IBCOOL:
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 09:27:46 AM »
:yeah: Felon. I bow hunt but the thought of other means was always nice... If they would ever open up big game hunting with air rifles, that would be the bees knees. Compressed air 350g projectile.. No powder, low noise..  :IBCOOL:
I think you could go out of state.  If I remember correctly, Florida doesn't restrict blackpowder guns.  They have hogs, deer and other things.  You can spear hogs too....a warm up for your bear spearing.

Online JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2020, 09:45:03 AM »
I know bullet question is the topic but I’ll throw this out finding a powder and bullet combo that’s accurate is just as important
For the cva shooter they designed this finally that is for the cva not a monkey rigging of parts and shims and it’s very accurate

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 10:03:24 AM »
Just put this site on.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 10:04:19 AM »

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 10:14:54 AM »
Smossy can’t carry firearms.  I was going to say, it’s hard to imagine a 265 grn bullet being the best for elk ?  I no way am questioning your knowledge, it just surprises me and makes me second guess the light of a bullet.  But either way, it sounds like your 265 and the 295 would be better options than the 338 I was recommended.

Please take this with a grain of salt...I'm not a muzzy hunter, I've been around probably less then 20 muzzy kills...but I'm a nerd with stuff like this and I'm getting bored at home

That bullet designed he posted kills differently then conventional bullets, it doesn't kill with mass...with rifles I've seen a similar concepts 1st hand its pretty cool but still need more experience

Nothing wrong with killing with mass but in a world of having a lot of drop I would think the extra speed would be hugely beneficial in the field

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2020, 10:42:39 AM »
Where do you guy those Barnes 452x265 muzzy bullets?

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
Where do you guy those Barnes 452x265 muzzy bullets?

They are not Barnes they are Lehigh Defense. Follow this link

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019135027

Here is a second source

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=136

As a suggestion I would suggest you purchase a factory bullet in the same weight are as a practice/sight in bullet - they are less expensive to shoot.

Also you will need to order some sabots...

https://mmpsabots.com/store/black-hph24-sabot50-pcs/

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php/products/sabots/item/53-50-cal-short-sabot-for-451-452-cal-300-grain-or-less-bullet

Hope this helps a bit

mike

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »
One more question...... for now, lol.  How do you get good rifling if your bullet is covered w a plastic cover (sabot)?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand