collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Flat bottom or no?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Crowsridge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Flat bottom or no?
« on: April 01, 2020, 04:33:42 PM »
Looking for input.  I am hunting for a mid size boat. I have a 23’ pilot house and the kids have a pontoon. We want a small boat to “grab and go” with maybe just me and a grandchild or two, or there’s a couple lakes we like that don’t have ramps.

I found a completely redone 18’ Alumaweld sled in very nice condition. The 85 MERC pump motor has carb issues and the dealer removed it. He says I can have it if I want it. He assumed I was calling about a different Alumaweld and seemed surprised I was asking about the flat. My son argues against flat bottoms too. I had two different sleds way back and loved them. Nice boat for not much money. There’s another one I found, 18’ Smokercraft old school sled. I’m okay with a good boat and replacing motors if required. Good motor is better.

I know everyone has moved on to more “vee” style but????

Thanks for consideration.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Flat bottom or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 04:37:29 PM »
Looking for input.  I am hunting for a mid size boat. I have a 23’ pilot house and the kids have a pontoon. We want a small boat to “grab and go” with maybe just me and a grandchild or two, or there’s a couple lakes we like that don’t have ramps.

I found a completely redone 18’ Alumaweld sled in very nice condition. The 85 MERC pump motor has carb issues and the dealer removed it. He says I can have it if I want it. He assumed I was calling about a different Alumaweld and seemed surprised I was asking about the flat. My son argues against flat bottoms too. I had two different sleds way back and loved them. Nice boat for not much money. There’s another one I found, 18’ Smokercraft old school sled. I’m okay with a good boat and replacing motors if required. Good motor is better.

I know everyone has moved on to more “vee” style but????

Thanks for consideration.

Flat bottoms are fine- if you use them for their intended purpose. No fun at all in choppy water.

I am confused though- you say a "grab and go" boat for you and a grandkid to hit a lake with no ramp, but you are looking at a 18' sled with a 85 pump? That is a pretty big boat and motor for no ramp access...
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Crowsridge

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 07:03:55 PM »
They launch bigger boats, but it’s not fun. You have to back way in to get deep enough, but there is a sheer wall back there that drops straight down 30 feet. Pretty shallow, but I think the flat will float enough plus beach easier than the toon or a vee hull.

I test drove a 16 foot version this week down in Lewiston. It felt tiny and pretty tippy with two guys in it.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »
If you need to run fast on skinny water then certainly get the sled. If you want to not beat the crap out of yourself and family when running in wind waves get the v bottom.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:31 AM »
6* v with a 6' floor like the old alumaweld 20' vee lite is a very good compromise.  Stable and runs skinny water and can handle some chop.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]