collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New barrel time  (Read 6070 times)

Offline mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: New barrel time
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 11:35:30 AM »
I would look hard at the 243 AI. Already have the brass, none of the 6mm calibers listed above come close the beating it performance wise, and simple to form cases. Paired with a 1:7 quality barrel and high b.c. bullets available, you will have a gun capable of across the board accuracy
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 11:41:14 AM »
If you go with lightweight edge Proof barrels are in stock.   

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 11:58:58 AM »
👍
If you go with lightweight edge Proof barrels are in stock.   
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 04:04:54 PM »
You seem to like things with extra velocity so if you're going to switch to something different and buy a new set of dies anyway, I wouldn't even bother with the tiny increase of AI'ing a 243.  Save yourself the extra time of fire forming, make it worth your time, and go 6-284.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 08:45:22 AM »
You seem to like things with extra velocity so if you're going to switch to something different and buy a new set of dies anyway, I wouldn't even bother with the tiny increase of AI'ing a 243.  Save yourself the extra time of fire forming, make it worth your time, and go 6-284.
you know me well, 6/284 has always peaked my interest. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »

You beat me to it! The 6x47 Lapua is a good one too. It doesn't really offer an advantage over the 243 Win, it's just a little less vanilla. :chuckle: The 6 XC is in the same performance range and has been a proven performer too.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »
The .243 Win is solid. I imagine you have a ample brass supply. Might be worth staying with the same chambering.

6mm Dasher
6mm Creedmoor
6x47 Lapua

you are correct as I have tons of 243 components.  I do have a Redding die set for 243ai.   
Just sold a rifle the other day that I had for 3 or 4 years and never shot it once, that’s my barrel $$ now.   When I first rebarreled this rifle I was wanting 243ai.  Maybe now it’s time to do that. Probably the cheapest route since I have brass and dies and bullets already.
Plus I’ve been thinking about getting a lite weight hunting barrel for my vanguard in 338edge   

This just blows my mind, how can you have a rifle for 3 to 4 years and never shoot it   :hello:

:chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 10:24:49 AM »
you know me well, 6/284 has always peaked my interest.

In a short action, if you plan to get the max out of a 6-284 shooting the heavies, you'll be limited to single feeding them but I think you mentioned you were already doing that so it won't really be anything new for you.  Even if you throat a 6-284 to shoot the heavies at mag length in a short action, you'll still have a fair amount of case capacity advantage over all the others.

My 6-284 was the very first custom rifle I ever had built.  Funny thing is, I was all set to have a 243AI built instead, already had bought the dies and brass even.  Before the gunsmith that built it for me stuck the reamer in the barrel, he called me to make sure a 243AI was what I wanted.  He asked me if I had given any thought to building a 6-284.  About the time he said you'll get more velocity with less work and expense a light bulb went off and I quickly changed my mind.  I've been a 6 & 6.5-284 fan ever since.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 05:19:16 PM »
The .243 Win is solid. I imagine you have a ample brass supply. Might be worth staying with the same chambering.

6mm Dasher
6mm Creedmoor
6x47 Lapua

you are correct as I have tons of 243 components.  I do have a Redding die set for 243ai.   
Just sold a rifle the other day that I had for 3 or 4 years and never shot it once, that’s my barrel $$ now.   When I first rebarreled this rifle I was wanting 243ai.  Maybe now it’s time to do that. Probably the cheapest route since I have brass and dies and bullets already.
Plus I’ve been thinking about getting a lite weight hunting barrel for my vanguard in 338edge   

This just blows my mind, how can you have a rifle for 3 to 4 years and never shoot it   :hello:

:chuckle:
was a sporterized muaser in 22-250.  Barrel was probably shot out, crown looked like hell.  Guy wanted it so I said make an offer. 

6/284 is sounding better every time I think about it.   
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 08:19:21 PM »
Pretty sure the 243 barrel is on its way out. Thinking about playing with a new cartridge for a barrel or so.  Looking for some ideas to ponder. Would prefer to stick with the same bolt face but might change that, 6mm or larger cal., run in SA ai mag, and not a creed bore.

Just wondering why? Did you run a good optical borescope through it?  I've always been surprised as to how many folks sell a rifle or rebarrel it due to it "being shot out" only to find it was copper fouled from years of just standard cleaning. 
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 11:01:40 PM »
Pretty sure the 243 barrel is on its way out. Thinking about playing with a new cartridge for a barrel or so.  Looking for some ideas to ponder. Would prefer to stick with the same bolt face but might change that, 6mm or larger cal., run in SA ai mag, and not a creed bore.

Just wondering why? Did you run a good optical borescope through it?  I've always been surprised as to how many folks sell a rifle or rebarrel it due to it "being shot out" only to find it was copper fouled from years of just standard cleaning. 
no I cleaned it to bare metal. Never has this barrel had copper fouling.  I stopped talking about it since folks never believe it but zero copper.  My cleaner tunes blue as hell with copper but zero copper from this barrel.  Zero!   700 is not unheard of for 243 run like this one has.  I can probably get another 300 from it for hunting but accuracy is past what I expect.  At 100 1/4” is normal but velocity spread makes it useless for my purposes.   I’ll say it once more. Zero copper weather you choose to believe it or not is your choice.  I just know what I see.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 11:15:33 PM »
My wife has a .243 with a shot-out barrel.  Talked to a gunsmith once about re-barreling it and he tried to talk her into swapping over to a 6mm remington caliber.  He said the geometry of the case design provided some benefits over the .243 win.  I don't remember the specifics but he was very adamant on the 6mm remington over the .243.  I don't have first hand experience between the two.

Offline argie1891

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2020, 12:52:14 AM »
I have a rifle that quit grouping went from under in inch to around 2 inch groups. I spent several months removing coper fouling. I thought I was doing a good job cleaning, but found out I was not getting all the copper fouling out. when I say I spent several months I mean every time I entered reloading room I put a patch of hoppe's   or some other solvent down the bore. It took all that time to get a patch out that did not turn green. wonder of wonders I then took to the range and it again shot great. the rifle was over 20 years old and I bought it new. I vote for if it is not broke dont fix it. as far as caliber asking what other people think isnt real important it is your money and your rifle. I would stay with a common caliber and away from wild cats I have a 250 Ackley and it is neat most wildcats are just asking to spend big on dies etc. anyway have fun with you quest that is half the fun

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2020, 06:53:44 AM »
This boroscope is well worth the $49 to see what is happening inside your barrel.  Need android phone or pc computer to hook to. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XDYN296/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdb_3siJEbBS7EPNT

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2020, 10:15:44 AM »

no I cleaned it to bare metal. Never has this barrel had copper fouling.  I stopped talking about it since folks never believe it but zero copper.  My cleaner tunes blue as hell with copper but zero copper from this barrel.  Zero!   700 is not unheard of for 243 run like this one has.  I can probably get another 300 from it for hunting but accuracy is past what I expect.  At 100 1/4” is normal but velocity spread makes it useless for my purposes.   I’ll say it once more. Zero copper weather you choose to believe it or not is your choice.  I just know what I see.

No offence meant, just asking the obvious based on my own experiences.  Is it the throat that's showing erosion, or ?
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]