8 (10.4%)
Cougar only-no coyote
0 (0%)
Coyote only-no cougar
1 (1.3%)
Trail cams -no hunting
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: You ok with cougar+coyote stays open.  (Read 3267 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
You ok with cougar+coyote stays open.
« on: April 03, 2020, 07:45:18 AM »
Just thought I would get some feed back on what hunters really think about some hunting staying open ,with most being closed.
I will add poll too for people who want to add to it without debate.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
Re: You ok with cougar+coyote stays open.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
As much as it sucks, the faster we contain this, the faster we will get by it and stuff will open up again. Being in the woods hunting or sitting on the lake fishing isn’t gonna be the issue. The issue is the travel back and forth. Too much potential for exposure to areas that might already be locked up tight. Not an easy decision, but I think the quicker we contain it, we will be back to running around sooner than we know it

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 08:22:42 AM »
Cougar and coyote are not high participation, destination hunts is how susewind put it.  You dont have hundreds of hunters from cities crowding into one or two small towns to hunt lions and coyotes.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »
If spring bear wasn't limited permits, but statewide all GMU and OTC; then I would doubt many people would be moving about the whole state.  Bear, overall, is a low participation hunt too.

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 08:27:26 AM »
It should be left open like most other activities that shouldn't have been closed to everyone..Its easier to put a blanket rule on everyone and enforce it is the reason for all the closures I think. I do think it is unfair to those of us that live in remote areas and can do many recreational activities without any travel that would be a risk to others and it could keep some sort of normalcy in ours and our kids lives through this. But then it wouldn't be fair to those that choose to live in the big cities where the biggest threat is and we live in a world where most people think things should be even and fair.... I can walk out my back door to the river and never see a soul and fish with my kids . My friends live in sekiu and their boats can be moored at the dock and they could spend all day on the water and not go to a store or gas station. Plenty of people have land with turkeys on them and their kids could be hunting the opener without going anywhere. That's all safe and would be a great healthy activity but since we all can't do it safely shut it all down and make it fair. Not enough people hunt cougar and coyotes, sadly, so unless we make it seem like its going to get real popular on here they may chose to ignore that . If we could continue to do some recreational activites within the county we are a resident of would be a great fix and a strict stay at home for the hotbed areas but enforcing it is the problem.. So ya leave open what hasn't been closed already. With how good wdfw pays attention to our massive predator problems in this state they probly don't even remember its open  :bash:

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 08:41:19 AM »
If spring bear wasn't limited permits, but statewide all GMU and OTC; then I would doubt many people would be moving about the whole state.  Bear, overall, is a low participation hunt too.
I Agree
You look at harvest report
Not everybody reports and out of the people that do report 1/2 of the permits get hunted.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »
I say leave it open but restrict travel.   Life’s not fair
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 09:31:42 AM »
My vote is to leave them both open.  I think the second part tied to it about (and allow people to travel) is skewing the vote here.  I would have voted to keep them both open but no travel to still abide by the shelter in place orders.

I live in the woods, I have a bait site behind my house and motion alarms.  I shoot coyotes from the kitchen window without even having to step out of my house. 

I can shelter in place and still go coyote hunting.  :chuckle:

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 09:40:24 AM »
I voted to leave both open and do what your mommy should have taught you. Wash your hands.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 09:43:08 AM »

I live in the woods, I have a bait site behind my house and motion alarms.  I shoot coyotes from the kitchen window without even having to step out of my house. 

I just tried baiting some yotes too.  But my bait which was new and untouched last night is gone this morning.  Lesson learned, tie it to a tree.  Cat must have drug it off.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »

I just tried baiting some yotes too.  But my bait which was new and untouched last night is gone this morning.  Lesson learned, tie it to a tree.  Cat must have drug it off.

I've had pretty good success baiting.  I'm using this driveway alarm system:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosmart-Rechargable-Driveway-Wireless-Weatherproof/dp/B07PSKCQ1X/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=hosmart%2Bdriveway%2Balarm&qid=1585934665&sr=8-11-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExM1BaRVpPUk9HNU1TJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzMyNzEwWFU1MVhBS0xTOFZVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MTM3NzhHUDJDODVGV1FVSE4md2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

I have one sensor on the bait pile.  Two other sensors are on game trails about 100 yds out from the bait pile to give me advance warning so i can be ready when they show up.  The base unit has 4 different tunes for the different sensors so I know which sensor got tripped.

For bait I bought a costco rotisserie chicken and shredded the entire thing into marble size pieces.  Then threw little bags of that mix in the freezer.  To set bait out I thaw out a bag of that and then sprinkle the pieces on the ground in front of the bait pile sensor.  Small pieces of bait is better than a single big chunk so the predator doesn't grab the bait and run off.  They have to stay there to sniff out all the small pieces.

I have also used cans of cat soft food, or hard cat food sprinkled on the ground.  The chicken seems to work best for me though.

I also put a game camera on the bait pile so that if it gets cleaned out and I didn't hear the alarm, i can go back and see what cleaned it out. 

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 10:35:58 AM »
Any problem with possums or rats keeping you up at night?
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »

I've shot a few dragging an impressive amount of weight for a 30lb yote   :chuckle:

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 10:44:45 AM »
Ive been thinking of getting a motion sensor too.  The yotes almost always show up at night, very rarely when im awake.  Just checked my cam, this cat got a free meal.  Waste of a perfectly good dead goat.  Perfect paintball target for you bart!
  Time to stop putting stuff out anyway, bears will be moving soon.  I tend to get april bear activity at my place, so this was my final yote baiting attempt for the year.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 11:37:09 AM »
I know participation is low on these species.
The reason the poll says travel is not all gmu is open for cougar.Its not a general season. So you may have to travel a limited distance to hunt.

Coyote truly if you are recreation hunting coyote your gonna call ,move setup,call,move setup,call,move setup,ECT. Five times maybe for a day hunt typically a few miles apart.

Although I don't care that they left it open,Its ok with me.Hunter opportunity ECT.Just like myself many hunters in the wake of seasons shutdown may use this as a excuse to be in the woods.Lord knows I will.So I was just trying to get some feelings on it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]