collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alaska cancels all spring bear hunts  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Alaska cancels all spring bear hunts
« on: April 02, 2020, 02:33:43 PM »
file:///C:/Users/Sitka/AppData/Local/Temp/04-01-2020b.pdf
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Alaska cancels all spring bear hunts
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:37:39 PM »
https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/State-cancellation-of-spring-bear-hunts-569309501.html

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/news/hottopics/pdfs/alaska_closure_bear_hunts_statewide.pdf

Alaska announces closure of bear hunts statewide
(JUNEAU) — For the safety of Alaska’s communities, and especially individuals most vulnerable to the
COVID-19 virus, Commissioner of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game Doug Vincent-Lang has
directed the Division of Wildlife Conservation to close all black and brown bear hunts statewide for both
resident and nonresident hunters, effective now through May 31. This decision will be reevaluated as
necessary. All subsistence bear hunts will remain open as a way for residents to have an opportunity to
fill freezers and provide for families.
The Department of Fish and Game will work with the Board of Game to identify future options for hunters
who are planning to come to Alaska this spring, or for residents who have already made arrangements,
but will be unable to hunt as planned. Expect to hear more from the department in the near future, and
please be patient with the department as they identify ways to minimize the impacts of this decision.
Alaska’s wild resources are of vital importance to many throughout the state, and we will make sure
opportunities to safely, responsibly and sustainably harvest these resources continue.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 02:40:13 PM »
I would expect other states to follow suit.  It's going to be tough on state's F&G departments as they will be losing tons of revenue here shortly with no way to make their budgets.  The state's will be in the red, so no help there.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 02:42:58 PM »
Huge step for AK to take

It's not a giant leap from this closure to sport fishing closures.  The possible repercussions of that to coastal communities boggles the mind.

KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 02:44:12 PM »

People just wanting to keep Alaskans safe and healthy. Don't need a bunch of tourists up there right now.
It's a big hit, but it possibly prevents a bigger hit.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 02:49:59 PM »
Huge step for AK to take

It's not a giant leap from this closure to sport fishing closures.  The possible repercussions of that to coastal communities boggles the mind.

Yeah, pick your poison for sure.  I don't envy people having to make these decisions.

I am also very much afraid for the position the western game agencies are going to be in.  They are going to be broke beyond belief.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »
Huge step for AK to take

Chris, it may go beyond sports hunting and fishing.  There is a group in Cordova who wants the upcoming commercial salmon season closed.  They have even sent an "open letter" to the canneries threatening legal action if the season is prosecuted.  The fact is, remote villages and towns that so far don't have the virus, at least confirmed cases) don't want to give it a chance to make it's way in. Cordova population doubles in the summer, and fishermen and cannery workers come in from all over the country and the world including places where the virus has hit hard, like Washington.  Don't be surprised if this movement picks up steam.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 02:58:52 PM »
They only closed it to non-residents and residents who are city dwellers. If you live outside of Anchorage, Fairbanks and a few others you will hunt as normal..
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »
They only closed it to non-residents and residents who are city dwellers. If you live outside of Anchorage, Fairbanks and a few others you will hunt as normal..

For the safety of Alaska’s communities, and especially individuals most vulnerable to the
COVID-19 virus, Commissioner of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game Doug Vincent-Lang has
directed the Division of Wildlife Conservation to close all black and brown bear hunts statewide for both
resident and nonresident hunters, effective now through May 31.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/news/hottopics/pdfs/alaska_closure_bear_hunts_statewide.pdf

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 03:12:17 PM »

For the safety of Alaska’s communities, and especially individuals most vulnerable to the
resident and nonresident hunters, effective now through May 31.

I think he's referring to subsistence hunts in "rural" areas.  They are on permits vs tags and licenses. 
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 03:16:00 PM »

That only applies to subsistence hunts. All spring bear sports hunts are closed.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 03:20:54 PM »
Huge step for AK to take

Chris, it may go beyond sports hunting and fishing.  There is a group in Cordova who wants the upcoming commercial salmon season closed.  They have even sent an "open letter" to the canneries threatening legal action if the season is prosecuted.  The fact is, remote villages and towns that so far don't have the virus, at least confirmed cases) don't want to give it a chance to make it's way in. Cordova population doubles in the summer, and fishermen and cannery workers come in from all over the country and the world including places where the virus has hit hard, like Washington.  Don't be surprised if this movement picks up steam.

I've heard the rumors of the processors not opening for some fisheries.  All I can say for sure is that outside of quarantining our incoming workers in Sitka for 14 days prior to the being allowed to work, it appears there won't be a serious impact here.  Some things are different. My co-op had to file travel plans and Corvid quarantine/transmission prevention protocols with the state to continue operations, and we're taking a fair financial hit with the extra costs.

I can see how a community like Cordova would approach this differently, however.  But with mandatory quarantine and transmission prevention protocols, I would hope the community's confidence in the processors' ability to keep it out of town would allow the fisheries to happen.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 03:28:49 PM »
I also hear that halibut and black cod prices are significantly down as Restaurants aren't ordering anything right now. That will definitely cut into the price for Copper River Salmon.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 03:41:45 PM »
I also hear that halibut and black cod prices are significantly down as Restaurants aren't ordering anything right now. That will definitely cut into the price for Copper River Salmon.

Halibut bounced back a bit this week, since the fresh supply has been shut down to a trickle.  Processors asking fishermen to fish it later if they can. If not, they're freezing it all whole and stocking up for the winter market.  We will see slightly lower retail halibut prices across the board this year, I'm thinking.

Black cod has been really weird.  There big fish are still bringing good money, but the smalls under 3# are basically being bought for bait. 

Side note: the black cod fishery is a 100% retention fishery - but NOAA has been issuing exemptions to having observers on board to the under-60' fleet.  Amazingly, the average size of the black cod landed has jumped up significantly and the percentage of rockfish landed as bycatch has dropped.

Things that make you go Hmmm...
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 03:47:58 PM »
Put me down for a tote of smallies.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics