collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Do I really want a light rifle?  (Read 7190 times)

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
Re: Do I really want a light rifle?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2020, 01:45:39 PM »
I shoot a light weight 300 without a break no issues :twocents:
Go hawks

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2020, 02:01:11 PM »
I have Tikka T3X in 300WM love it alot, had Sendero SF2 before and got so tired of hauling that thing, sold, and bought Tikka. I would say its better to carry something lighter when you hunt and get a little more punch in your shoulder when you shoot then carry something heavy and who knows when you'll pull the trigger. Even the kick is not that big of a diff. Go with Tikka.Good luck.

Offline ellensburgpo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
So I’m looking at a new rifle, really thinking about a 300 win mag and from anyone with experience on it, is a light rifle really a good idea in 300 win mag? I was looking at the tikka superlite but I like to shoot a lot and I found a Remington long range that seems more of what I’d need. Weight difference is 2lbs. For hiking up and over the mountains I feel the tikka would be nice but at the same time does the 2lbs make recoil a PITA while practicing at the range? And I have a good 20lbs I’m trying to lose but yeah. I’d like for by fall or next spring to be at my goal weight and have a great rifle for chasing bears or whatever else. Goal is to go for a hunt in Alaska for moose next year and I don’t think a guide would appreciate me showing up with my 30-30 haha

And I know the tikka has a mag that only allows factory rounds to be loaded but seeing that it produced .5 moa for guys with factory Hornady I’m fine with that. I don’t play with seating depth anyways when I reload.

I bet your guide would rather have you show up with a 30/30 that you are extremely proficient with then a 300WM that you suck with because you don’t enjoy shooting because of the recoil. Lots of people do well with magnums, I bet more don’t. It’s all about what your realistic needs are. Shooting a light rifle well is different then shooting a heavier rifle, lots of people struggle with lightweights because they seem to highlight deficiencies in form more. I’ve killed stuff with magnums and none of them would have been any less dead if it had been the 270, 7mm/08 etc. I’ve owned multiple Kimbers the first owners all claimed had issues, they didn’t, they’re just a little trickier to shoot well. It’s your money, but placement trumps headstamp every time.
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Online fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2020, 02:48:15 PM »
There are several 300 rifles in classified for sale. There is always 300s for sale.

There is a reason for that.  Just sayin. :sry:
Because men are no longer men?   :sry: :chuckle:

Packin a big magnum on your shoulder doesnt mean youre packin a big magnum in your pants.   :sry:  :chuckle:
Strange way to judge a man's toughness,  but you do you!

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »
I had a 300 Win, M70 Extreme Weather before. Shot well, but didn't enjoy shooting it. Got rid of it.

Why not just a T3x 30-06?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2020, 02:58:33 PM »
Son took a moose at 15 with his 325WSM.  Nice beautiful x-bolt rifle, very light easy to carry.   Kicks soooo much harder than my braked 338 Lapua or his braked 338-378 that its not fun to shoot at all. 

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 03:32:36 PM »
I've went full circle, raised on my Dad's Pre'64 Featherweight .270 actually not a Featherweight by today's standards... then about everything out there it seems like... Rifles Inc Strata 4 1/2 lb 7STW with brake could punch 1 hole three shot groups off the bench if allowed to cool between 2nd and 3rd shot, the problem was shooting off hand-real whitetail hunting I couldn't hit anything with it-too light, Melvin Forbes ULA was the most balanced of the Lightweights that I shot, but now days my lightest is a Cooper Back Country. I now mainly shoot rifles in the 9 lb range, packing isn't the only thing to consider, sometimes opportunity arises and you don't have a rest, yet if practiced, can be a very ethical shot if you can hold your gun steady! :)
One of my favorites now days is a Remington 700KS with safety that locks bolt(older model) in .300 Weatherby with Leupold 4.5x14x40..... handles nicely and kills with authority, and doesn't weigh a ton....

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 03:56:33 PM »
I have two Sako Finlights, one in 300 WM, and the other in 7mm mag. Love these rifles.
All my other rifles became safe queens after firing my Finlight the first time.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 04:41:42 PM »
The 1-4 # difference is not a damn thing if you can’t pack yourself / gear in! If you’re so worried about a couple pounds in a hunting situation- you better shoot the smallest buck you see period , cuz if that couple # is a big deal you’re screwed haha. Just get comfortable with what you shoot and get confident and you’re good.
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline Jellymon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 04:50:02 PM »
The 1-4 # difference is not a damn thing if you can’t pack yourself / gear in! If you’re so worried about a couple pounds in a hunting situation- you better shoot the smallest buck you see period , cuz if that couple # is a big deal you’re screwed haha. Just get comfortable with what you shoot and get confident and you’re good.

If I had that attitude with all my gear I could needlessly be packing an extra 30lbs into the backcountry. It adds up quick and does make a difference.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 05:02:55 PM »
There are several 300 rifles in classified for sale. There is always 300s for sale.

:yeah:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 05:14:20 PM »

If I had that attitude with all my gear I could needlessly be packing an extra 30lbs into the backcountry. It adds up quick and does make a difference.

Oh I get it don’t get me wrong. I pack in and hike in pretty deep. I understand all the other gear issues - I was just responding to the rifle question.
My main is 9.8oz
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline Goshawk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »
I'm all about hunting with light rifles in calibers that don't punish me. So, for the 308 on down, the lighter the better.  Above that, I like weight! I admit I'm a recoil wimp so why punish myself on the bench when I'm working up a load.  I'm also not a fan of muzzle breaks because of the noise.  In the thickets of Western Washington I've seldom had time to stop, put on the earmuffs, then shoot.  It's more like "Antlers-BANG!".
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2020, 06:57:12 PM »

What’s wrong with the 300? Serious question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2020, 07:01:27 PM »

What’s wrong with the 300? Serious question

Not a darn thing.

My point is a lot of guys buy them and sell them. Because they can’t take the recoil or get tired of it.
If you like it shoot it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal