collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Do I really want a light rifle?  (Read 7143 times)

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Do I really want a light rifle?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2020, 07:02:44 PM »
There are several 300 rifles in classified for sale. There is always 300s for sale.

There is a reason for that.  Just sayin. :sry:
What’s wrong with the 300? Serious question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably nothing.  I think they are just manufactured more than the other calibers, so it would stand to reason they would outnumber other calibers for resale.  Just try getting bullets for reloading....about 100x the options for them than the next few calibers.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2020, 07:05:49 PM »
There are several 300 rifles in classified for sale. There is always 300s for sale.

It is a fantastic caliber.
Some people do not care for the "kick" or "recoil" that some rifles are producing.
There are a ton of variables that determine how a rifle handles. Caliber is only one of them. When shot out of a well balanced rifle, the 300 WM will produce a lesser amount of felt recoil that a 30-06 shot from most of you over counter cheap plastic or resin stocked rifles.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Ingwe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2020, 07:49:28 PM »
I really like light rifles. They are accurate enough for the way I hunt. I have never shot over 400 yds. I have a browning a-bolt .338 mag that I bought in 1988. It weighs 8.2 lbs with scope loaded. I have probably shot over 3000 rounds through it. I took it to Africa 4 times in 1990’s so did a lot of shooting before those trips plus a lot of deer and elk hunting. Not as accurate as it used to be so a few years ago I bought a tikka .338 win mag. It weighs 7.5 lbs with light weight leupold scope. I put a limb saver pad on it and I don’t think it is bad to shoot. I have shot several deer ,elk and a couple BC moose with it. Point is light weight rifles are great for packing and if you practice they shoot good. When hunting you will pack your gun much more than shooting it.

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »

Absolutely nothing, unless you just read yet another hunting/shooting article talking about the Magic Powers of the latest 6.5mm.  The 300 is a workhorse up to and including military sniper work.
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2020, 08:31:20 PM »
This is great! Thank you guys. So I had a 300 winnie but traded it to a member here for a chainsaw. I first got to experience the 300 in the army while prepping for sniper school (never got to go) but that rifle was nearly 15 pounds. I carried the M14 on patrol and that beauty was pretty hefty too. My experience with light rifles of high caliber is null though hence why wondering if that recoil increase is worth the weight reduction. Reading through though I’m thinking I’ll go tikka (superlite stainless) and if the rifles weight is an issue I’ll get a different stock and boom. More weight. I had a tikka t3 with the limb saver and 2-7 Leupold and that was a great combo but I gave it to my dad for his birthday.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2020, 09:58:24 PM »
No issues with my Tikka 300, hell my wife shoots it very well

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2020, 10:18:09 PM »
I’ve got a Tikka in .270WSM and .300WSM and a Sako A-7 in .300 winmag when sighting in or shooting ya the .270 WSM is the pleasure to shoot BUT when hunting I couldn’t tell how loud it is or what the recoil feels like and all three are light mountain rifles . But the style of hunting blacktail and bear hunting we do you won’t enjoy lugging around a boat anchor

Offline TooTallMike

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Scout
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2020, 10:31:22 PM »
14 miles in the pasayten with a 15lb 300 win mag made me go light  :chuckle:

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2020, 10:59:49 PM »
FWIW, 

I bought my 300 win mag (Remington 798) and it had a 22 or 24" lightweight barrel and wood stock.  Recoil was too much for me.  I put a slip on recoil pad on the butt of the stock, still too much recoil.  I think it weighed around 8-10lbs.  I went to the other extreme and had it rebarreled with a 26" full bull barrel. Then put a heavy boyds thumb hole stock on it.  Now it weighs about 18 lbs with scope and bipod. And now it shoots like a dream!  No muzzle brake, but with 1.2" diameter at the muzzle end the shockwave goes all forward and is very plesant to the shooter.

Just don't ask me to pack it very far, and definitely don't ask me to fire it from a standing position. 

I had trouble with a bear on my property and borrowed a 7mm mag from a family member.  That rifle was a Remington 700 with a wood stock and 24" medium/heavy profile barrel.  Weighed around 10-12lbs. 

Morale of the story: I wish I'd have built my 300 win mag with a lighter barrel and kept it a more hunting-suited weight.  My current opinion is that a 9-12lb rifle with a removable brake would be perfect.  Put the brake on and wear good earmuffs for range shooting.  For hunting, remove the brake and verify that POI is still good.  I would remove the brake for hunting because of the higher chances of shooting without earplugs in and I don't want to blow out my eardrums.

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2020, 11:02:28 PM »
Savage 111 Trophy Hunter in 300 WM...about 9lbs loaded, with scope, sling, buttstock cheek rest with a pouch with ammo and so forth. Pretty much the perfect weight. Doesn't kick too hard, and lightweight enough to walk long distances.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2020, 03:52:51 AM »
But do we REALLY feel recoil when hunting?

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2020, 06:16:27 AM »
I have a Tikka SL in 7 mag shooting 168’s that is capable of sub 1/2 moa & have never thought the recoil was bad. Put a Limbsaver pad on it if your gonna run the factory stock or upgrade to a Mesa/AG carbon fiber & you will be fine. Great triggers & same barrels as the more expensive Sako Finnlight. All that said, LW rifles are harder to shoot accurately especially as the distance increases & you have significant muzzle jump. I say go Tikka with the choices you gave us. :twocents:  or buy the CA Ridgeline in the classifieds & cure both issues with one fell swoop. :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2020, 06:42:32 AM »
But do we REALLY feel recoil when hunting?

It isn't about recoil for a shot during hunting. It's all the recoil during sighting in, load development, practicing that the person will remember, even subconsciously, that matters.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »
So you guys got me wondering what my Tikka t3lite 300WSM actually weighs so I weighed it in it's heaviest condition that I'd use it in.  Most of the time I don't have my bipod attached, it depends on where I'm at.  9.10 lbs and zero issue with kick.   :dunno:

Offline magnanimous_j

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2020, 08:02:01 AM »
So you guys got me wondering what my Tikka t3lite 300WSM actually weighs so I weighed it in it's heaviest condition that I'd use it in.  Most of the time I don't have my bipod attached, it depends on where I'm at.  9.10 lbs and zero issue with kick.   :dunno:

Is there typically a difference in recoil between a 300WSM and 300WM?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]