collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Squirrel recipes and cook-up  (Read 1175 times)

Offline O. hemionus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Squirrel recipes and cook-up
« on: April 07, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
Since moving into my house in Klickitat County in 2017, I've killed 38 invasive eastern gray squirrels in my yard. To be clear, these are not the native western gray squirrels nor the invasive California ground squirrels/"gray diggers" - I'm very experienced at identifying the differences. With my deer meat supply running low, I decided to tap my reserves of squirrel meat in the freezer yesterday. I thawed out 9 squirrels (skinned and gutted with head, tail, and feet removed) and threw them in the crock pot with some water, chicken bullion cubes, and apple cider vinegar for about 6 hours. I then pulled them out of the crock pot, let them cool for a few minutes, and was able to effortlessly strip the meat off of the carcasses. The rib meat and latissimus dorsi muscles were pretty chewy and so I didn't end up saving much of that, but in the end, I had about a half-gallon worth of shredded squirrel meat. The meat has the texture, consistency, color, smell, and taste of turkey dark-meat. I wanted to put away some meals in the freezer and wanted to try different recipes with the squirrel meat, and was able to find three winners. I followed each recipe pretty close, but made some slight modifications along the way. I ended up with 1) squirrel stew with pakrika (this ended up being a lot like a red meat sauce that I plan to put on pasta), 2) coconut squirrel curry (recipe was for chicken but I just swapped it for squirrel), and 3) bbq squirrel quesadillas (again, a chicken recipe. I added pineapple tidbits to this recipe, which were great. This works as a perfect filler for sliders, burgers, quesadillas, etc.). I ended up with 18 meals worth of squirrel. These aren't quite stand-alone meals, as the first recipe will be supplemented with pasta, the second with rice or something similar, and the third with tortilla shells/hamburger buns. All three recipes turned out extremely tasty, and my wife will even eat them!

If you're interested, here are the links to the recipes used, and some photos to go along with it (my wife made some homemade French bread yesterday too, so it made it in the photos).

https://honest-food.net/squirrel-stew-recipe-paprika/

https://tasty.co/recipe/coconut-chicken-curry

https://www.budgetbytes.com/ultimate-bbq-chicken-quesadillas/

Enjoy!

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Squirrel recipes and cook-up
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:59:02 AM »
Squirrel is delicious. I've been known to cook one up from the backyard here and there.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 12:37:30 PM »
Those look great. The last I cooked was eight of them that I shot trying to steal chicken pellets from my coop. I pressure cooked them with some veggies, picked the meat and made a pate with the meat and veggies. I served this at an "Eat the Invaders" event on Lopez Island last Fall and did not go home with much for leftovers. I also did not hear a negative word about the taste with over 120 people trying it.

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 09:49:25 AM »
Love squirrel, even the wife likes it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter