collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Solar Experts  (Read 8167 times)

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Solar Experts
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »
Following along!
I am totally curios what it would cost you to install solar?

Everytime I run the math, I come up with 10-15 years to recoup the cost, and by then you would have to replace everything and basically start all over again.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 02:59:36 PM »
Following along!

Everytime I run the math, I come up with 10-15 years to recoup the cost, and by then you would have to replace everything and basically start all over again.

From a cost perspective, Solar is hard to pencil out for states as far north as Washington.  Especially since states like Washington and Oregon have such cheap electricity compared to other states.   For southern states with more annual sun exposure and higher electricity rates, it pencils out well.   California, Hawaii, Arizona, etc. is a total no-brainer for solar.

Panels last longer these days and have longer warranties, so wouldn't have to replace after 10 years.  But your point on payback is valid, and varies by state.

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 03:02:22 PM »
Following along!

https://www.backwoodssolar.com/learning-center

This learning center page, is really nice for giving you an idea whats involved. It gives you 6 diffent examples, in varoius sized systems.

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 03:05:11 PM »
Just tally up the fuel cost, from the last 2 years..

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 03:10:02 PM »
Fred, what are you using for refrigeration?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 03:21:43 PM »
Following along!

https://www.backwoodssolar.com/learning-center

This learning center page, is really nice for giving you an idea whats involved. It gives you 6 diffent examples, in varoius sized systems.

Thank you, that is a handy source.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »

Rtic cooler and a block of ice!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
I just took my old system (trace) out of my place and installed a new 8KW system from outback.

There was nothing wrong with my old system just that it was not big enough for my usage.  I will be putting the whole thing up for sale here but I can send you the information on it before I put it up here. Inverter, charge controller, switch to turn the generator on when battery level is too low. I would recommend getting new panels, mine are 15 years old and the newer panels put out more watts but there is technically nothing wrong with my panels either.

Sure, please let me know.  Thanks
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 03:52:38 PM »
I have around 50 repeater sites about 50% are solar powered only around 6 have thermal electric generator back up.  The picture here is of a site that I have 9 155 Ah batteries with 3 165 watt 12 VDC panels.  Batteries are all tied in parallel so 155 Ah x 9, 1395 Ah of batteries.  Panels are tied in parallel 165x3 495 watts.  Total amount of watts for the batteries is 16740 watt hours.  All the calculations show that what I have is not enough solar to total charge the batteries up to a good float level or mantain it there.  You  want a system where you have a larger charging system from your solar than your batteries is what I have been told by solar experts.  Yiu also wany to look at a 24 or 48 VDC system.  They are more efficient and have much larger output panels.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 04:12:22 PM »
My old and new system are true sine wave. New system cost $32,000 installed.  I had the 8 Trojan batteries.

The reason I had it installed rather than DIY was I didn’t have the time and I got a tax break of 26% of the system cost. $32,000 system = $8,320 tax credit. At the end of this year if my tax burden is $30,000 I only have to pay $21,680 in taxes.  Also there is no sales tax on the $32,000.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:42:54 AM by Rainier10 »
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »

I'm surprised you don't have a propane powered fridge...

I do like following along on your threads about your place and what your doing  :tup:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 07:49:14 AM »

I do like following along on your threads about your place and what your doing  :tup:
Have you priced a propane fridge? I have bought two, in the 16 years we have lived here. The last fridge we bought is electric, and our system is supporting it. But I push my system. This hillbilly, likes luxury. :chuckle:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 08:49:33 AM »
Following along!

From a cost perspective, Solar is hard to pencil out for states as far north as Washington.  Especially since states like Washington and Oregon have such cheap electricity compared to other states.   For southern states with more annual sun exposure and higher electricity rates, it pencils out well.   California, Hawaii, Arizona, etc. is a total no-brainer for solar.

Panels last longer these days and have longer warranties, so wouldn't have to replace after 10 years.  But your point on payback is valid, and varies by state.
:yeah:

When grid power isn't an option then solar makes sense.  With that said, I now have solar and both of my neighbors have solar.  All of our systems were around $30k each.  For the $100k we could have all gone in together on bringing power to our places and increased the property value of every lot around us.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 09:30:00 AM »

Have you priced a propane fridge? I have bought two, in the 16 years we have lived here. The last fridge we bought is electric, and our system is supporting it. But I push my system. This hillbilly, likes luxury. :chuckle:
Yep new they are not cheap at all, i was thinking more of a used one out of an RV..... I know someone that has a off grid cabin and picked one up for a few hundred bucks from a wrecked rv and has been using it for years
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 09:36:22 AM »

Yep new they are not cheap at all, i was thinking more of a used one out of an RV..... I know someone that has a off grid cabin and picked one up for a few hundred bucks from a wrecked rv and has been using it for years
This is where we got ours.  They are priceless once you have one.

https://bensdiscountsupply.com/propane-refrigerator/crystal-cold-refrigerators/

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]