collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Options for kids first gun  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Options for kids first gun
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 05:18:59 PM »
Thanks for all the input so far gents. What's everyones experience with recoil pads been? Would upgrading that be helpful too or just a waste of time and money? Want to do everything I can to make it fun for him.

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 05:21:39 PM »
Most new guns come with some pretty nice pads, the last 4-6 I have bought already had very nice pads installed. One thing gun manufactures have been getting right........

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 05:32:08 PM »
Limbsaver has made shooting for my daughter much better in her opinion
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 05:46:32 PM »
 JP, I have a couple compact rifles my kids hunt with, (243 and 7mm08) you are welcome to have him shoot before you buy something if you would like.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 06:50:59 PM »
I've had good luck with a Rem 700 youth model in .243 for all 3 of my boys, although, I didn't start them out quite as young as you are.  They shot it, weren't afraid of it and all 3 killed deer with it.  I used factory rounds as I don't reload.  I like the lightness of the gun so much, now I carry it half the time during deer season instead of my model 70 .308

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
JP, I have a couple compact rifles my kids hunt with, (243 and 7mm08) you are welcome to have him shoot before you buy something if you would like.

I really appreciate the offer! He's about a year out I think but when the time comes I will definitely keep the offer in mind!

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 06:55:45 PM »
Limbsaver has made shooting for my daughter much better in her opinion

I was looking at their stuff since their name comes up alot. Their site says 70% reduction in recoil, was what you guys experienced anywhere near that? I might have to try it on my rifle if it works that well. Was your daughter using one of their slip on ones or an attached one?

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 07:44:14 PM »
It was a screw on.  The slip on ones sucked for us.  Kept slipping to one side or the other.   Idk if 70% is accurate but it definitely helped.  She is small or was and she went from nope no more to ok just few more rounds dad then we can go in. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 07:45:56 PM »
I have the grind to fit Limbsaver on my 35 Whelen, and love it.  Makes shooting heavy bullets in an 8lb rifle manageable.  Significant improvement over the other pad that was on it before.   I'm not sure if you'd notice the improvement as much in a lighter caliber like a 243 or 7mm-08.   

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 08:11:46 PM »
I can't say I understand all the ins and outs of recoil but is a 7mm-08 really much less kick than a 308? Isn't it the same case?

I'd have thought it's about the same recoil wise I'm surprised to see so many people listing it as a good kids caliber. Not that a 307 is really a thumper but it's not as tame as some other calibers.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »
I can't say I understand all the ins and outs of recoil but is a 7mm-08 really much less kick than a 308? Isn't it the same case?

I'd have thought it's about the same recoil wise I'm surprised to see so many people listing it as a good kids caliber. Not that a 307 is really a thumper but it's not as tame as some other calibers.

The 7 mm 08 seems to be popular now because it is a platform that kids can shoot for life even if they later get into shooting longer distances. I had a 308 auto and I think the 7 mm 08 had less recoil also. :twocents:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »

I have a 308 as well and my kids prefer the 7-08 over all three.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline ckr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 09:02:29 PM »
I went with the Ruger American compact for my son.  I hand load and was able to load it down to super light loads .  He has since moved on to a 300 win but always goes back to the 308 when moving through the brush. 

Online BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 08:39:42 AM »
My first deer rifle was a model 70 featherweight in 7mm-08, for some reason that one always seemed to have a healthy dose of recoil, and I’d get a sore shoulder after a box of ammo, even with its fairly substantial factory recoil pad. The only other 7mm-08 I’d ever shot kicked about the same, but it was a short barreled handi rifle that belonged to an RSO at the evergreen sportsman’s club.

I don’t know what it is about my experience with that chambering, but I shoot a lot harder kicking calibers with a lot less discomfort, including a ruger 30-06 with the infamous boat paddle stock. May have something to do with stock design.

Alright, enough of my tangent here, I saw the OP mentioned that they handload, that would make me recommend getting a lighter “adult” rifle and putting in a youth stock. With something like a .308, you can load up something like a 125gr ballistic tip or accubond at around 2500fps, this will duplicate a 7.62x39, good for around 150-200 yards and pretty low on recoil and noise. Once he can handle some more, you can step it up to .300 savage level at 2900-3000fps, or step up to a 150gr bullet at 2500-2600fps. This would realistically cover about any normal hunting situation and still be pretty mild. Finally, you can load that .308 to it’s full potential with a 150gr bullet at 2900fps or go to a 165 or 180gr bullet.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 10:02:43 AM »
One idea for you would be to look into the wearable recoil pads.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002530831?pid=680235

I use one when shooting big bores off the bench and they do help.

A field weight version might do wonders for a young kid.  I have found that just the suggestion that something will reduce recoil has a magic effect of making someone think it really does.  So the placebo effect alone might be worth while.

Bench shooting for extended times can be brutal...

I have introduced a number of young and new shooters to firearms.  I find spending a day at the range moving up in recoil is a good method.  i.e.
1.  Start with a 22 LR for a few rounds (familiar, quieter, no noticeable recoil)
2.  Move to a 223 or 204 ruger style (AR platform is even better)  This helps deal with the aforementioned "boom" effect seen when moving from a 22LR to a center fire.
3.  Go with a mid-level firearm like a 243 or a 22.250.  Now you are dealing with some recoil, but after shooting a 22 and a 223, both the trigger pull and extra noise have been experienced so adding a bit of push is easier to consume.
4.  If you want to move on to a 30.06 Springfield or similar, it is just one more step up the ladder

I try to limit the shooting to an hour or so tops.  And if possible I look for a time when the range is less crowded as it can be hard to talk and coach when people are shooting 300 WM's with brakes 3 feet from your ear!  Also quite intimidating for the new shooter.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]