collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Options for kids first gun  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Options for kids first gun
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »
I started my son at 8yr old with a NEF .243 single shot.  Low recoil, but not the lightest weight wise.  He still uses it for coyotes and he's 18.  He loves that little thing.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 11:28:14 AM »
I'm seriously thinking about picking up a 7.62x39 bolt gun for my son to learn on, ammo is cheap and recoil is low.  I only wish the budget rifles chambered in them, I think they would sell a bunch.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
Looks like some options out there including the Ruger American Ranch
https://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles/search?Keywords=7.62x39&Sort=13&PageSize=24
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2021, 10:14:41 PM »
So I finally got around to picking up a limbsaver recoil pad. Going to throw it on and see what the difference is. Won't be hunting with it until November so can still get a few range trips in before season. Hopefully it works like it's supposed to and next winter I'll figure out some lighter loads for it too.

I've typically used 165s, I've asked a couple folks I know and gotten conflicting info. Would a lighter bullet give less felt recoil or heavier? Started a bit of a fight asking some buddies so you folks keep it civil!

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2021, 10:41:41 PM »
So I finally got around to picking up a limbsaver recoil pad. Going to throw it on and see what the difference is. Won't be hunting with it until November so can still get a few range trips in before season. Hopefully it works like it's supposed to and next winter I'll figure out some lighter loads for it too.

I've typically used 165s, I've asked a couple folks I know and gotten conflicting info. Would a lighter bullet give less felt recoil or heavier? Started a bit of a fight asking some buddies so you folks keep it civil!

Lighter bullets will have less felt recoil in most cases.  The exception being a heavy bullet with a subsonic round and a lighter bullet with a stout round (kind of extreme example but you get the point).   Lighter bullets have less felt recoil in most hunting ammo. 

I am loading my daughters 6.5 creedmoor with a 124gr. bullet with a stout powder charge that is chronographing at 2850 fps and it is less felt recoil than the 140 grain bullet at 2680 fps. 

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2021, 10:56:16 PM »
Definitely go with a lighter bullet such as a 150, or even 125/130 if you can find it. Big difference in recoil.

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2021, 03:14:23 AM »
Cheapest budget rifles are gonna be savage axis,Mossberg patriot.

308 really shines with the 150gr ,will have less recoil lower bullet wt.
My son is 15 and almost my weight,so recoil was never an issue. He shoots 308 ,loaded to max,150 gr.
But the one thing I think help him the most is.
I had him dry fire that rifle many many many times ,next day after target shooting. Just so he would know when that trigger breaks. Made him hold on a target and dry fire at home with no loaded ammo around. Seems like he got really dialed in after that.
I know some rifles you can't do that ,his is a axis.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2021, 05:58:16 AM »
Bought my girls (13 & 10) a Ruger American compact in 7mm-08, put a limb saver on, had the barrel threaded so I can attach my suppressor to it.  Both of them say it kicks like their .22.  Even with the suppressor off, it doesn't kick much.  My plan was to make up some reduced recoil loads for them, but it won't be necessary.  And it shoots under moa,  I'm impressed with it for an inexpensive rifle.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2021, 07:59:19 AM »
Thanks  I'll try and keep an eye out for those lighter .308 bullets. He is a slim kid so I'll try everything to get recoil down shy of a brake.

I'm really leaning towards buying myself a new rifle or sneaking my grandfather's from my dad's place next time I'm over and letting the kids use my current rifle.

Or maybe I'll get a new rifle for me and one for each of them too, the possibilities are endless. I've got room in the safe....

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2021, 08:48:58 AM »
My kids are grown and gone, however if it was me with whats available today, Id start them out with a good Savage .243 and once they got a little older, Id spin on a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.  That would give them all the fire power needed for deer until they were old enough to decide for themselves what they really wanted in the future, if they werent satisfied with the 6.5.

Offline HooknoseHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2021, 03:35:01 PM »
Weatherby Camilla in 7mm-08  :tup:

That’s a girls rifle Jimmy
Western Washington is a *censored*hole country

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2021, 04:24:11 PM »
My youngest is hunting this year for the first time, I have a Remington 788 in .243 and just ordered a boyds at one stock and a 1" kickeez pad for it. Going to start him out with 70gr and load on the low end to get him used to shooting it.
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline medic6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2021, 05:04:53 PM »
I had a similar issue with my two boys 10/12. I should add they are on the very small side of the growth curve.  I started with the axis .243 youth and then added the youth adjustable .308 Turns out neither one of them could fell the difference in kick even changing grain size.  To them kick was kick and they hated it.  I would have them shoot 2-3 rounds each and call it a day.  They love the 22lr and shoot the heck out of it, but did not like shooting the upgrade at first.  I made sure going forward they had bulky sweaters or jackets on and made it as comfortable as possible for handling and target shooting with only a few rounds each time.   Once we cleared that little hurtle, when the first deer was shot i asked about the kick and my kiddo said what kick I didn't feel a thing as he jacked up for his first deer.  Something else to think about, my kids for duck shoot a single shot 20g henrys which is super light but kicks like a horse and an off brand pump 20g which is super heavy and they hate carrying but love to shoot.   The weight really does eat up the kick. not sure if that applies to rifles as much.  best of luck......

Offline HooknoseHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2021, 09:48:30 AM »
I opted to start my 10 yo son out with an H&R single shot .270. I loaded 100rds with a 130gr Speer Hot Cor using Trail Boss powder so he could practice his fundamentals and get acclimated to the rifle without developing a flinch. Then I loaded up 100rds using the same bullet and the starting load of RL15. This load is still very light kicking but is plenty fast enough to kill deer. He got extremely proficient with that load and killed his first deer last year at age 11. I’m going to let him use that rifle for a couple more years and then I’ll start the whole process over with a Rem 700 CDL 30-06 I’ve had tucked away for awhile. Good luck and have fun with your boys!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 06:43:28 PM by HooknoseHunter »
Western Washington is a *censored*hole country

Offline bwgdc

• Tracker
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2021, 10:05:43 AM »
I started my son who was 7 at the time with the ruger American 243 compact shoot the 55gr. The recoil was almost nothing. The down side to the compact is how loud it is with the short barrel it was worse than my 300 rum. If I was to do it again I would buy the standard ruger American 243 and swap the stock for the compact till he outgrew it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76
[Today at 06:37:56 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by Ridgeratt
[Today at 06:34:07 PM]