collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need help with .308 round  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
Need help with .308 round
« on: April 08, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »
Hey there everyone. So I’m getting a new scope with a customized turret and need to pick a specific .308 round to shoot exclusively with this new set-up. I usually hunt deer and bear with it, but might go for elk, moose as well so I’m looking for a good overall round for any North American big game. I’m hoping to also find a round that is readily available almost anywhere and anytime. I don’t want to have a hard time finding ammo. And last but not least, I needs to be affordable. A buddy of mine recommended a round, but it’s $60.00 for a box of twenty. I was hoping to keep it in the $30-$40.00 range per box if possible..
    The past few years I’ve been shooting the Federal Powershock rounds. Either the 150gr or 180gr. I’m just thinking there’s probably something a little better out there.
     I’m 90% of the time archery hunting, but I’ve gotten into hunting out of state with my rifle recently and honestly I am just out of the know on most things rifle and ammo. If it helps, I’m shooting a Remington 700 VTR. It has a 22inch barrel and is a 1 in 10 twist. Thanks for any recommendations you experts might be able to share!

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Need help with .308 round
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 12:39:16 PM »
You are probably going to cheap out but the very best way to do it is this....

Buy a half dozen boxes of premium ammo from each of the different manufacturers, Remington, Federal, Winchester, Hornady etc.  Try to stick with something that you can find on most gun store shelves.  Buy the premium stuff, not the discount stuff.  Stick with something around 150gr.   

Then, go to the range and find out which ammo shoots the tightest groups at 100yds with your rifle.  When you find out (the choice will be obvious), buy a couple cases of the same lot.  If you are young, buy 3 or 4 cases, you'll be set. 

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 12:53:29 PM »
You are probably going to cheap out but the very best way to do it is this....

Buy a half dozen boxes of premium ammo from each of the different manufacturers, Remington, Federal, Winchester, Hornady etc.  Try to stick with something that you can find on most gun store shelves.  Buy the premium stuff, not the discount stuff.  Stick with something around 150gr.   

Then, go to the range and find out which ammo shoots the tightest groups at 100yds with your rifle.  When you find out (the choice will be obvious), buy a couple cases of the same lot.  If you are young, buy 3 or 4 cases, you'll be set.

:yeah:

I did that exact thing.  Was before I started reloading.  Bought a bunch of premium brands.  Shot over the chronograph, and had to feed the results for velocities on my selected rounds to Outdoorsmans (who made the custom turrets on my scope).

My results showed the Nosler factory ammo as the most reliable velocity, and also the closest to their stated specs for my barrel length.   The challenge is most brands are doing their tests with a barrel length longer than what is likely on your hunting rifle, and many brands have to much variability in their velocities of factory ammo.    I ended up getting two turrets made, one for Nosler and one for HSM with Berger VLDs.   And I bought 10 boxes of each factory ammo at that time. 

Now, I reload so would just make my own load for the custom turret.  For that rifle, I now just make my hand loads match the Nosler factory ammo velocity so the turret is consistent.  I may later get another turret made if I find a loading that I like better.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:55:23 PM »
Since you are already shooting federal,you might wanna try federal fusions . I've used them a few times they seem like a decent round for the money .Sometimes you can find them on sale after seasons are over like January or February.
 I reload my own rounds now ,so I don't use them anymore.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »
My kid has a Weatherby (Howa) 308, we could not get acceptable groups with anything we tried...I went to a cheap box of Remington 180 Core Lokt's...instant tack driver...just food for thought.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »
Underwood Ammo, 165 GN Accubond...that’ll do ya just fine.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 02:24:37 PM »
For your purposes I would think anything that groups well at the distances you want to shoot:  150, 165, 180 grain would all do the trick on deer, bear and elk.  I'm not sure I would stick with just premium ammo though.  Remington green box, federal blue box and Winchester super X all would kill what you are hunting.  My old savage 110 .270 loved and I mean loved the Winchester Super X 150 grain rounds. 

Try a few different boxes, like said above, and find what shoots suitable groups.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »
Thanks guys! I definitely appreciate the feedback. I think I’ll do all of the above. I’ll grab a half dozen or so boxes of the top shelf stuff and a few of the “not so top shelf” stuff and give it some quality time at the range. Thanks again!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »
Federal premium 165 grain accubond
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 07:53:53 PM »
165 Noslers, Partition or Accubond. 

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »
My 1:10 barrel (18") did not like 150's I tried numerous brands.  however the 165-170grn bullets it just loves.

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 11:38:02 PM »
My kid has a Weatherby (Howa) 308, we could not get acceptable groups with anything we tried...I went to a cheap box of Remington 180 Core Lokt's...instant tack driver...just food for thought.
Weird. My son had problems even getting rounds to fire with anything Remington. No problems with any other brand, even cheap M-sup rounds, but Remington was a ftf every other round.

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 05:39:17 AM »
FTF with factory ammo is an odd one.  I reload about 12k 12 ga a year but don't do anything with rifle/pistol. In the shotgun world Remington Primers are the Rolls Royce of primers.  Well toss that idea out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]