collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Library has Discover passes for check out. Whitman County.  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Moose Master

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Library has Discover passes for check out. Whitman County.
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 03:20:32 PM »
No system is perfect!  For those want to complain about fee's nothing is free anymore except for opinion's. I have two passes and chalk it up to a user fee.  The thread talks about 8 passes which are in use.  Out if those that use them maybe it will inspire some to get outdoors and enjoy.  NEW FEE"S  Colorado has new requirement for Wildlife area's because of the decline of sales of hunting license which use to fund those locations  Those area's are also not funded through their general fund.  I won't quote the requirement because just glanced at the article but for resident's in the state the cheapest solution is for them to buy a fishing license at 38.00.  First year education, next year a $138.00 fine.

Offline throwingsticks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 10:01:31 AM »
If a library can share one Discover pass with an unlimited number of people, I should be able to buy only one pass for my three vehicles, instead of buying two. Actually I think I currently have three. And, I should be able to share it with friends, neighbors, family, and anyone else who asks. The reason for the Discover pass is to raise money for state lands. A library sharing a pass defeats the whole purpose of the pass.

Ahhh libraries and private individuals are different things.... The mandate of libraries is provide access to resources and knowledge to all people. By having a discovery pass or two for check out, this gives access to the out of doors to people that might normally not go due to the cost. If we want to see our great tradition of fishing and hunting continue we need to actively recruit and retain new hunters including those that don't fit the normal hunting stereotype. Programs like this get folks out of doors, in many cases these folks don't look like they walked out of a Cabela's catalog...

So what is the issue again?
I think the issue is that folks are angry because to use non improved areas such as DNR land we need them to hunt and fish... but those dollars go to the parks department... and it is more likely that those library passes will be used for parks... which rubs salt in the wound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

SOOO basically people are pissed about the DNR thing and are taking the frustration out on poor people who have limited access to the out of doors.... sounds logical to me...
People get mad and take out thier frustration in all manner of ways, not necessarily well thought out... Plenty of examples of this in the Seattle

way to not answer the question

I hate to break it to you, but when people are pissed off they lash out.

Once upon a time Washington was based on a User Pays System. PARKS  came out of the general fund because EVERYONE had the ability to utilize them.  My mother grew up going to state parks every weekend as a family for pick Nick's because they were piss broke.

I can relate to others frustration  because The legislature has not prioritized general funds to Parks. Instead they have chosen to Screw sportsmen to pay for the general publics good.

You can make the case that parks need funding, and while I might have some suggestions  I wont argue against you. I'll be damned if ignorance of how the systems in place to fund "Services" are co opted so Peter can rob Paul.

Totally you can piss in the wind and blame society for your wet leg or your could engage in the process, for example look at SB 6093 which will provide free public access to state parks and lands
https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=6093&Year=2019&Initiative=false
or on the national level the Great American Outdoors act
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3422

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2020, 11:18:17 AM »
If a library can share one Discover pass with an unlimited number of people, I should be able to buy only one pass for my three vehicles, instead of buying two. Actually I think I currently have three. And, I should be able to share it with friends, neighbors, family, and anyone else who asks. The reason for the Discover pass is to raise money for state lands. A library sharing a pass defeats the whole purpose of the pass.

Ahhh libraries and private individuals are different things.... The mandate of libraries is provide access to resources and knowledge to all people. By having a discovery pass or two for check out, this gives access to the out of doors to people that might normally not go due to the cost. If we want to see our great tradition of fishing and hunting continue we need to actively recruit and retain new hunters including those that don't fit the normal hunting stereotype. Programs like this get folks out of doors, in many cases these folks don't look like they walked out of a Cabela's catalog...

I think the issue is that folks are angry because to use non improved areas such as DNR land we need them to hunt and fish... but those dollars go to the parks department... and it is more likely that those library passes will be used for parks... which rubs salt in the wound.

SOOO basically people are pissed about the DNR thing and are taking the frustration out on poor people who have limited access to the out of doors.... sounds logical to me...
People get mad and take out thier frustration in all manner of ways, not necessarily well thought out... Plenty of examples of this in the Seattle

Once upon a time Washington was based on a User Pays System. PARKS  came out of the general fund because EVERYONE had the ability to utilize them.  My mother grew up going to state parks every weekend as a family for pick Nick's because they were piss broke.

I can relate to others frustration  because The legislature has not prioritized general funds to Parks. Instead they have chosen to Screw sportsmen to pay for the general publics good.

You can make the case that parks need funding, and while I might have some suggestions  I wont argue against you. I'll be damned if ignorance of how the systems in place to fund "Services" are co opted so Peter can rob Paul.

Totally you can piss in the wind and blame society for your wet leg or your could engage in the process, for example look at SB 6093 which will provide free public access to state parks and lands

Thanks for pointing out that WA State Legislature Bill. Had no idea that was in committee.
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »

It appears You are making a bunch of assumptions about me. It could also be that we have a misunderstanding communicating in this format.

I never stated I was For or against the library passes. I tried to explain why folks were likely upset at them.
Sponsors of that Senate bill are either my representatives or close by, and I support that bill.

Making funding decisions has repercussions if you don't understand the history of how its been done in the past, and why/If a change is a good match.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2020, 09:25:05 AM »

The state bill didn't go anywhere, didn't even get a hearing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal