collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW announces mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park  (Read 32790 times)

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: WDFW announces mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »
Guys need to remember that this country is no joke and before applying need to think long and hard if they have got the skills to be productive in that country. As Josh said, 15+ miles one way for a few of these areas and then you gotta get em out. Anyone can hit a pie plate at 200 yards. Need to be honest with yourself about the other stuff :twocents: I'm in with a group of 6. It's a pretty impressive resume so we shall see how it shakes out.  As shane said, it sucks and I don't agree with it but it's happening regardless soo...
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2020, 04:11:07 PM »
I read in to it and it sounds like the hunter can keep meat and hide. The DFW wants some samples and the skull plate.

I am totally in if someone is forming a legit group. My dream is to hunt goats and this sounds like a great opportunity. I have all my gear and can shoot and hike

I'd be a little more serious about it if all this uncertainty wasn't going on in the world right now. Pretty sure I won't be taking any significant time off this year after all this current cluster we're in.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »
"Volunteers will be asked to record data on all goats encountered and shot, and to collect biological samples from all goats that can be safely accessed (hair, tooth, tissue sample, skull cap including horns). Using their discretion, volunteers will be allowed to remove and retain meat and other materials. They will be asked to dispose of remaining materials following NPS guidelines. "

April 17th is the deadline.  Groups need to be 3-6 groups.   

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »
Guys need to remember that this country is no joke and before applying need to think long and hard if they have got the skills to be productive in that country. As Josh said, 15+ miles one way for a few of these areas and then you gotta get em out. Anyone can hit a pie plate at 200 yards. Need to be honest with yourself about the other stuff :twocents: I'm in with a group of 6. It's a pretty impressive resume so we shall see how it shakes out.  As shane said, it sucks and I don't agree with it but it's happening regardless soo...

Spot on. This isn't about shooting ability. It's about having a level of fitness to get you where you need to be along with the gear to do it along with the skills and then you have to be able to find the goats, get to them, etc.  It's not a walk in the park. Also there will be a good chance there's snow on the ground too.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2020, 04:39:41 PM »
So no horns or hide it sounds like, but you do get to keep meat? 

I obviously wish I could keep horn/hide but at least being able to keep meat makes me very interested.  I have a group of tentatives so far, will  almost certainly be applying myself.

Offline HoytHunter24

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2020, 04:41:03 PM »

Spot on. This isn't about shooting ability. It's about having a level of fitness to get you where you need to be along with the gear to do it along with the skills and then you have to be able to find the goats, get to them, etc.  It's not a walk in the park. Also there will be a good chance there's snow on the ground too.

This is precisely why i am interested. A Goat and Sheep hunt are my dream hunt because of the difficulty it brings.

Offline CLARKTAR

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
Do the hunters get to keep the goats?
Whatever you can pack out

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline HoytHunter24

• Tracker
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »
So no horns or hide it sounds like, but you do get to keep meat? 

I obviously wish I could keep horn/hide but at least being able to keep meat makes me very interested.  I have a group of tentatives so far, will  almost certainly be applying myself.

I just sent an email asking for clarification on what can be kept. It says they need a hair sample but doesnt specify if that means the whole hide or just some hair.

Offline HoytHunter24

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2020, 04:53:39 PM »
Wow this was a quick response. In regards to keeping the hide

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »
So it's a whack em and stack em hunt..

Hmm.

Well I look at that mountain range every day from my deck so I feel like I should get first dibs.. :chuckle:

Offline Fuhrmem

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMGA
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2020, 05:06:14 PM »
Hoyt, if you're committed, I'd be willing to through my hat in with you. I had pre virus plans to help with the remote sensing/tracking of previously out-planted goat populations in the N. Cascades this summer. Not sure where any of that stands now, but I agree. This is an opportunity that should be jumped on. Shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2020, 05:25:38 PM »
Possibly 15 miles in that country is no joke.
Also, need to factor in the weather possibilities for that time frame.  Last year it was in the 40's and rain/fog during the day for a lot of it around 4,000 ft.  As you went to 6,000 it got closer to low 30's and fog/drizzle.  Night got cold.  A few years ago, I'd say that on the earlier part of those dates was really hot and still during the day (lots of bugs) and at night not too bad, but the later part of the range was snow/ice and below 20's at 6,000.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2020, 05:30:32 PM »
Fog/clouds
Snow/slush/barely warm enough to rain.
Kill all the goats you see. Kids, nannies, billies.
Give them the horns.
They don’t have a lot of meat on them.
I mean if you just want to go shoot some goats, have at it.

Someone said one of the areas is 18 miles one way. They’re not going to want someone to go in, kill a goat and then leave because you want to pack your meat out. They’re looking for you to whack and stack as many goats as you can.
With my luck, I’d walk in 18 miles and it would be pissing rain/snow/slush for 3 days and then I’d walk out.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
Make sure to read all the documents closely. Including the social media contract regarding posting of photos to social media, ownership of photos, etc.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
WDFW announces mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
I think it’s important people make sure they read all the info. This is not a “dream hunt”.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw