collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW announces mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park  (Read 32785 times)

Offline templar021

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: WDFW announces mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2020, 09:58:39 AM »
So it looks like they will have to shoot nearly 300 goats after all relocation efforts are completed.  While I'd like to get a goat, this doesn't seem to be the appropriate venue.  I would be surprised if it didn't get shut down.  If it doesn't, expect company.
And what is with the part about native American ceremonies using the horns.  I thought these were non native.  Oh wait, the science is settled.... :twocents:

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2020, 10:36:26 AM »
Application submitted.
@hirshey @blubberhunter @betterderrick

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2020, 10:50:03 AM »
And these hunts being after the relocation happens I suspect there won't be that many goat's left. And the ones left will be super spooked from being chased around all summer by Helio's. Half that country requires technical climbing skills.  It's definitely not going to be your typical goat hunt.

Just about the time someone gets ready to shoot, a helo will buzz the goats.🤣

Lots of sore muscles or nothing.🤣
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2020, 10:50:31 AM »
So it looks like they will have to shoot nearly 300 goats after all relocation efforts are completed.  While I'd like to get a goat, this doesn't seem to be the appropriate venue.  I would be surprised if it didn't get shut down.  If it doesn't, expect company.

This is the problem...
This isn't a goat hunt. It's a culling operation. You will have company. You will be told where to go. You are supposed to shoot every goat you see. Nannies, 5 month old kids, little billies, big billies. Not at all intended to be anything remotely close to a "quality" experience.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2020, 10:52:10 AM »
When is the wolf culling supposed to start?

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2020, 11:10:53 AM »

This is the problem...
This isn't a goat hunt. It's a culling operation. You will have company. You will be told where to go. You are supposed to shoot every goat you see. Nannies, 5 month old kids, little billies, big billies. Not at all intended to be anything remotely close to a "quality" experience.
:yeah:
I do think there is a chance that it can be a good experience for some but I really do think there is a high probability that it won't be the "experience" most are expecting.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
This has all of the earmarks of a horrible anti-hunting outcome. Imagine the liberal press spouting tales of the hunters slaughtering the baby lambs  and defenseless nannies. I bet many of the kills will never be  recovered. Maybe they should award  the prize of also allowing clubbing baby seals to death to the top five teams? This will become a PR nightmare for the hunting community.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2020, 11:27:31 AM »
This has all of the earmarks of a horrible anti-hunting outcome. Imagine the liberal press spouting tales of the hunters slaughtering the baby lambs  and defenseless nannies. I bet many of the kills will never be  recovered. Maybe they should award  the prize of also allowing clubbing baby seals to death to the top five teams? This will become a PR nightmare for the hunting community.
They also will have easy access to document the aftermath.  They will sensationalize it in its entirety.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2020, 11:35:32 AM »

The idea of getting to hunt/slaughter goats might sound good, but there’s going to be devil in the aftermath.

The PR damage from this to the hunting community is going to be terrible. The term volunteer is going to equal hunter in the end.

All those hunters went into the park and killed the billies, nannies, and the kids.

I get the idea of that it might save taxpayer money not to have paid shooters, but it not worth the backlash we are going to receive from it.

Look at hound hunting, trapping, baiting predators. What’s going to come out of this next time the tree huggers run a initiative on straight up hunting?

Let the Feds pay for their own dirty work, and keep us from getting blamed.   :twocents:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:41:13 AM by Boss .300 winmag »
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
I agree with all the above..

I hunt for food..I don't take Killing things lightly, I've done plenty of that in my life..(killing)

Long talk with my group and we are out..if they did a bunch of permits for hunting the area I would apply. But being a hired gun for the NP that kills everything...no thanks.

And I'm not judging anyone that stick's this out..good luck and be safe. :tup:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:53:45 AM by fishngamereaper »

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2020, 11:58:19 AM »
All the more reason that really good guys need to be a part of it. If lawsuits don't close it down then this IS HAPPENING. So guys who not only can do it physically, but have the reserve and forethought to pass on that goat if it's near a trial and to relocate it in a more secluded spot. Stuff like that that. Guys that can't pass a spike blacktail and half lose their stuff at the shot should probably not apply. Not trying to nock anyone but this needs to be done right and I believe it takes more than just some strong legs and shiny gear to do it right  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »
Most of us finally got what we have been whining about(especially me). I have always complained about them paying sharp shooters instead of letting hunters do it for free-well here it is they are doing it. I have a group and we are putting in. The idea of shooting a kid goat is not pleasant or exciting at all. I still think we should do what they ask and take as many goats as possible or they probably wont use hunters again. If the only thing hunters come out with are 9 inch plus billies they will never use hunters again. If you only want to shoot a nice billy and nothing else I don't think you should apply. I think its a huge opportunity for showing the value of hunters as management tools. If selected I hope everyone does their best to accomplish the parks objective even if some parts of it will be ugly. To the best of our ability my team will salvage everything possible and I think that's important. One picture of a bunch of dead goats rotting would do a lot of damage to the hunting community. The antis will try and exploit this for sure and all teams need to be carefull on how they do things. I agree it is not a "dream hunt" but its a great opportunity for hunters to show we are part of the solution and really should be the first choice for game management   

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2020, 12:59:52 PM »
Most of us finally got what we have been whining about(especially me). I have always complained about them paying sharp shooters instead of letting hunters do it for free-well here it is they are doing it. I have a group and we are putting in. The idea of shooting a kid goat is not pleasant or exciting at all. I still think we should do what they ask and take as many goats as possible or they probably wont use hunters again. If the only thing hunters come out with are 9 inch plus billies they will never use hunters again. If you only want to shoot a nice billy and nothing else I don't think you should apply. I think its a huge opportunity for showing the value of hunters as management tools. If selected I hope everyone does their best to accomplish the parks objective even if some parts of it will be ugly. To the best of our ability my team will salvage everything possible and I think that's important. One picture of a bunch of dead goats rotting would do a lot of damage to the hunting community. The antis will try and exploit this for sure and all teams need to be carefull on how they do things. I agree it is not a "dream hunt" but its a great opportunity for hunters to show we are part of the solution and really should be the first choice for game management
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2020, 01:04:21 PM »
Hunter's have almost always been used as management tools... mule deer doe slaughter a couple year's ago and operation kill all cow elk about 5 years ago... those hunts didn't do us any favors..but everyone used the meat.. imagine if all those mule deer where just left.. :dunno:

I'm just thinking out loud mostly..

I've been teaching my kid the last few years why we hunt..I then tried to explain this cull to him.. he's smart and asked why not just spend the next couple years re locating them to boost other herds.. killing them seems counterproductive.. he knows how much I complain every year when I see goat permits continue to be 1or 2 per hunt area... :chuckle:

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2020, 01:17:42 PM »
Give me a helo and two volunteer door gunners with 50 cals and its problem solved in two days or less.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]