collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW announces mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park  (Read 32781 times)

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
Re: WDFW announces mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2020, 01:24:19 PM »
Nine more days.  Anyone else getting antsy or did the lottery style odds cure you?
With the number of applicants, I'm pretty much expecting not to get drawn, but hoping we do.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2020, 07:52:57 PM »
Nine more days.  Anyone else getting antsy or did the lottery style odds cure you?

It will be longer. Talked to the person in chargr at the park a few days ago and she said they had 1,200 applicants and would probably not have results on time.

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »
Wondering if they should have restricted applicants to resident only, or at least capped the quantity of res/non-res.  Probably a lot of issues with that given that the hunt occurs within a nat'l park.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2020, 01:32:14 PM »

It will be longer. Talked to the person in chargr at the park a few days ago and she said they had 1,200 applicants and would probably not have results on time.

surprised they didn't just go with the first 18 "qualified" they reviewed.. or if they really want to get rid of the goats, double or triple  groups and devide the large areas further..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:03:32 PM by birddogdad »
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Chad McMullen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2020, 06:19:09 PM »
Here's the email my team's group leader received earlier today:

Date: Sat, May 30, 2020 at 4:43 PM
Subject: Olympic National Park Mountain Goat Management
To:

I want to thank you for taking the time to apply to be a mountain goat ground removal volunteer at Olympic National Park. The response to the call for volunteers was overwhelming, to say the least.  When I pulled together all the individual emails and paper copies that came in the mail, I ended up with over 1,200 group applications.

I know the application was not a quick and easy endeavor to complete, and I am grateful for the time and effort that you put into completing the application.  I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you, but I needed the time to carefully pull together all the emails into group application packets, and then read and evaluate them all.

The pool of applicants that I received was very impressive, and I regret that I can accept so few.  As I described in the webpage, I evaluated all the applications, and pulled out those that were the most highly qualified.  From that pool I then did a random draw of 40 applications, asked some colleagues from the NPS and WDFW to review that more restricted pool, and selected 21 groups (yes – 3 more than I originally intended).

As I am sure you can surmise, unfortunately your application was not selected.

I am sorry for the form letter nature of this email, but I know that people want to hear if they were selected as soon as possible, and this is the quickest way I can reach out to everyone.

I am only emailing the group leader (or the team member that corresponded with me if the leader did not supply an email or I could not read their writing).  Please pass this email on to the rest of you team members for me.

Thank you again for offering to assist Olympic National Park and our partners in implementing our mountain goat management plan.

Patti Happe
Wildlife Branch Chief
Olympic National Park
600 E Park Ave
Port Angeles WA 98362

Offline throwingsticks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2020, 08:14:06 AM »
Thanks guys. What a waste of some beautiful animals. Has anybody heard how many they think they will need to cull after the transplant?

All of them, they are not native to the Olympics. I know it is hard for those with a weak stomach to think about it, but WDFW is following the best science and removing an introduced species to protect the integrity of the ecosystem.

Offline throwingsticks

• Longhunter
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2020, 08:28:57 AM »
Here's the email my team's group leader received earlier today:

Date: Sat, May 30, 2020 at 4:43 PM
Subject: Olympic National Park Mountain Goat Management
To:

I want to thank you for taking the time to apply to be a mountain goat ground removal volunteer at Olympic National Park. The response to the call for volunteers was overwhelming, to say the least.  When I pulled together all the individual emails and paper copies that came in the mail, I ended up with over 1,200 group applications.

I know the application was not a quick and easy endeavor to complete, and I am grateful for the time and effort that you put into completing the application.  I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you, but I needed the time to carefully pull together all the emails into group application packets, and then read and evaluate them all.

The pool of applicants that I received was very impressive, and I regret that I can accept so few.  As I described in the webpage, I evaluated all the applications, and pulled out those that were the most highly qualified.  From that pool I then did a random draw of 40 applications, asked some colleagues from the NPS and WDFW to review that more restricted pool, and selected 21 groups (yes – 3 more than I originally intended).

As I am sure you can surmise, unfortunately your application was not selected.

I am sorry for the form letter nature of this email, but I know that people want to hear if they were selected as soon as possible, and this is the quickest way I can reach out to everyone.

I am only emailing the group leader (or the team member that corresponded with me if the leader did not supply an email or I could not read their writing).  Please pass this email on to the rest of you team members for me.

Thank you again for offering to assist Olympic National Park and our partners in implementing our mountain goat management plan.

Patti Happe
Wildlife Branch Chief
Olympic National Park
600 E Park Ave
Port Angeles WA 98362

Wow that is a HUGE amount of work! sorry you didn't get selected. the 20 some that did must be really bad asses! Best of luck to them

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2020, 08:31:15 AM »
Call them......

Goat Recon Eradication Asset Team...

Or just GREAT.....tshirts and hats available.

Offline throwingsticks

• Longhunter
« Reply #234 on: June 05, 2020, 08:39:05 AM »
Bushcraft, where does RMGA stand on the removal? Are you guys participating in the eradication effort?

This coming July marks the fourth and final round of live capture and relocation of Olympic National Park’s mountain goats. After this, the park will begin lethal removal starting in September conducted by highly vetted backcountry volunteers. Helicopter gunning is slated to begin in summer of 2021.

To date, the park has successfully captured 326 of their resident goats. 312 of those animals made it to staging area alive where they were handed off to Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife officials to be relocated into the North Cascades. 275 of those animals were released alive and 194 of them are known to be alive in their new home today. 17 kids were relocated to zoos and all alive today. Some of the goats relocated in 2018 are already successfully breeding in the North Cascades and producing offspring - A huge conservation success RMGA is proud to be part of.
https://goatalliance.org/blogs/news/onp-goat-removal-project-update

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2020, 09:41:13 AM »
Thanks guys. What a waste of some beautiful animals. Has anybody heard how many they think they will need to cull after the transplant?

All of them, they are not native to the Olympics. I know it is hard for those with a weak stomach to think about it, but WDFW is following the best science and removing an introduced species to protect the integrity of the ecosystem.

This link has a table of 2018 goat populations and # of goats removed:
https://www.nps.gov/olym/getinvolved/upload/3a-GGR-Unit-Descriptions_V2.docx

I added a column to calculate the approx. remaining goats (peach column).  Looks like they have removed about 40% of the goats with more planned this year (covid depending!)
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
Bushcraft, where does RMGA stand on the removal? Are you guys participating in the eradication effort?

This coming July marks the fourth and final round of live capture and relocation of Olympic National Park’s mountain goats. After this, the park will begin lethal removal starting in September conducted by highly vetted backcountry volunteers. Helicopter gunning is slated to begin in summer of 2021.

To date, the park has successfully captured 326 of their resident goats. 312 of those animals made it to staging area alive where they were handed off to Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife officials to be relocated into the North Cascades. 275 of those animals were released alive and 194 of them are known to be alive in their new home today. 17 kids were relocated to zoos and all alive today. Some of the goats relocated in 2018 are already successfully breeding in the North Cascades and producing offspring - A huge conservation success RMGA is proud to be part of.
Are you a RMGA representative? You support eradication of one of the most successful mountain goat populations we have ever seen? You have real time data on what goats are alive today? Interesting.....

Offline throwingsticks

• Longhunter
« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2020, 10:59:00 AM »

Are you a RMGA representative? You support eradication of one of the most successful mountain goat populations we have ever seen? You have real time data on what goats are alive today? Interesting.....

That is a direct quote from RMGA from the link provided to answer the other members question. I have actually never heard of RMGA prior to this thread. paranoid much?

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
 :chuckle:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]