collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?  (Read 66357 times)

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
Re: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2020, 01:12:48 PM »
Working on a group of my own potentially but at this point am a free agent. I'm in for any date.
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »
Those of you looking at this as a 'hunt' aren't comprehending what this is about.  And those of you that are worried about hunters getting a black eye from this obviously don't understand that anti-hunter's look at you like Democrats look at Trump.  It doesn't matter if you pull a child out of the street from in front of a speeding bus, it will be your fault the bus was speeding.

They are soliciting non-employee volunteers to serve in the same capacity as their hired guns would be; to exterminate the remaining goats.  They are asking you to perform the same task in the same way they would hire someone else to do it, so where is the black eye?  Just because it's more visible and will get more attention doesn't change the fact that this is exactly how it is going to happen, regardless of who does it, this fall.  It has been determined that this needs to be done.  For once, the government is making an attempt to let well trained volunteers accomplish work they usually pay top dollar to get done. That needs to be the message, period.  From us, from the teams, and from the NPS.
I would push back on your anti assessment in this scenario. It's not necessarily there anti crowd that one should worry about but the public perception of the 90+/-% that doesn't fit either hunter or anti demographic. Also your assessment of animal services (aphis) and comparing their level of professionalism and efficiency to rank and file hunters is flat out wrong. Perception is reality and when is sensationalized and spun you are at the mercy of the masses and how they see it.  The other issue is you are getting participation from the opposition and building a case (by inclusion) for future extreme actions similar to this.

The aphis guys have killed a lot of sheep in WA and I never saw that on King 5 news. Hopefully this project yields the same results. Those guys are pro's and Goat Team 6's members are not pro's regardless of how much of an operator they are.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
I get a kick out of this thread. People looking for partners on a hunt like this. Hey bud you want to join my group I’ve never hunted the back country and I don’t know you from Adam but let’s do it. I still to this day don’t take people hunting with with me on the high hunt that I have known and hunted with for years at deer camp. They are great around a fire and good for a intermediate hike day to day but not in the high country. You need someone who is physically fit and that you trust with your life! I’ll pass on this one!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2020, 01:49:44 PM »
Those of you looking at this as a 'hunt' aren't comprehending what this is about.  And those of you that are worried about hunters getting a black eye from this obviously don't understand that anti-hunter's look at you like Democrats look at Trump.  It doesn't matter if you pull a child out of the street from in front of a speeding bus, it will be your fault the bus was speeding.

They are soliciting non-employee volunteers to serve in the same capacity as their hired guns would be; to exterminate the remaining goats.  They are asking you to perform the same task in the same way they would hire someone else to do it, so where is the black eye?  Just because it's more visible and will get more attention doesn't change the fact that this is exactly how it is going to happen, regardless of who does it, this fall.  It has been determined that this needs to be done.  For once, the government is making an attempt to let well trained volunteers accomplish work they usually pay top dollar to get done. That needs to be the message, period.  From us, from the teams, and from the NPS.
I would push back on your anti assessment in this scenario. It's not necessarily there anti crowd that one should worry about but the public perception of the 90+/-% that doesn't fit either hunter or anti demographic. Also your assessment of animal services (aphis) and comparing their level of professionalism and efficiency to rank and file hunters is flat out wrong. Perception is reality and when is sensationalized and spun you are at the mercy of the masses and how they see it.  The other issue is you are getting participation from the opposition and building a case (by inclusion) for future extreme actions similar to this.

The aphis guys have killed a lot of sheep in WA and I never saw that on King 5 news. Hopefully this project yields the same results. Those guys are pro's and Goat Team 6's members are not pro's regardless of how much of an operator they are.
:yeah:
Again! Also on the tieton eradication they were able to retrieve carcasses in most cases. There disease testing was a totally different scenario however.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »
This virus is gonna change the face of the world!!

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2020, 03:54:02 PM »

1.) Public perception of the neutral 80% should not sway if this is presented as exactly what it is. 
2.)  I didn't make an assessment of aphis, and I didn't compare them to rank and file hunters.  What are you talking about?
3.)  If you don't even know who has applied or been chosen to participate, how can you possibly be offended by how they compare?  You don't even know who you are talking about??

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »

1.) Public perception of the neutral 80% should not sway if this is presented as exactly what it is
2.)  I didn't make an assessment of aphis, and I didn't compare them to rank and file hunters.  What are you talking about?
3.)  If you don't even know who has applied or been chosen to participate, how can you possibly be offended by how they compare?  You don't even know who you are talking about??
1. I hope you're right. 
2. See bolded. Aphis are the feds "hired guns".
3. You're right on all accounts. I do however know what the request was and the list it was disseminated to.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2020, 08:38:38 PM »
Did you guys hear that the department's main goat bio and game manager are getting fired over this? They apparently didn't give the licensing program staff enough time to figure out how to charge you guys a hundred bucks a pop for this awesome "hunt". :chuckle:

As others have suggested, you're setting yourself up for big time failure by shopping for partners on the internet for hunting in this kind of terrain. Guessing the flake/bail out rate will be quite high. If they don't end up cancelling it altogether due to corona, public outcry, political posturing... Don't get me wrong, I really hope it happens.

One other point - keep in mind that the low hanging fruit has been picked (i.e. socialized 'park' goats in easy terrain) and the otherwise naive goats have been educated after two years of helicopter pursuit. Thus, anyone actually serious about this should be prepared for steep snow travel, sketchy scrambling, and potentially life threatening weather conditions.

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2020, 08:45:48 PM »
I know who aphis is.  I didn’t say they do a poor job, or that the volunteers that NPS is soliciting will do as good of job as they do.  Because I, just like you, don’t know!

As for your #3, it’s pretty arrogant of you to assume based on how the request was made that you already know who the respondents will be.  You come across as someone with an aphis connection that is defensive or possibly worried that a group of guys with other jobs might make aphis not look so special?  What gives?

Offline GoPlayOutside

• Longhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2020, 09:57:42 AM »
Look at it like a Job.  You're there to do work, complete a task, and go home.

Are there perks to this job? Yes.  Scenery, Outdoors, experience (maybe once in a lifetime), etc.
Don't confuse this with your 20yrs of points built up on a Once in a Lifetime "hunt".   The mindset is different, the outcome is different, and the intent is different.

If you are concerned about what people will think/say....this isn't for you. 
"Aim small, miss small."
Genesis 27:3, "Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »
My team will flat lay them down , good luck and be safe Men.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »

Wrong post :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »

Wrong post :tup:

Right post. It's a joke.
That was aimed at my new BFF Tbar. We suddenly agree on literally everything after consistently butting heads in the past. 

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2020, 01:29:22 PM »
That alone will make this a booner billy hunt. Could you imagine an entire seal goat team 6 up there hunting goats that have never been hunted, set with the mission to shoot all the goats they see. They run into a group of nannies and kids, then spot a lone billy 500 yards up the ridge from the women and children? Which one's getting shot if a guy can keep horns?

ALL of them get shot :chuckle:

Offline Aginor

• Tracker
  • https://caltopo.com/m/B201
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2020, 01:53:19 PM »
I would love to join a group. I’ve hiked more than 500 miles in the park since 2018 - including all but 3 of the hunting areas - so I’m very familiar with the terrain. I have all the gear and can shoot

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]