collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?  (Read 66384 times)

Offline stew pidasso

• GHOST FEET
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Shoot straight
Re: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »
Hmm ok. We scanned everything in a big packet. No email to our leader yet though, either way.
Don't forget your spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
Given the sensitive nature of this, I wouldn't be surprised if they spent some time looking at exiting social media presence of applicants.

My guess is that final vetting included winnowing out qualified groups with members that post stupid stuff on line.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2020, 11:46:09 AM »
No way they're being that methodical. If they were willing to throw out 60 of the top 100 based on a randomized draw, I seriously doubt they'll be digging that deep.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2020, 11:50:16 AM »
No way they're being that methodical. If they were willing to throw out 60 of the top 100 based on a randomized draw, I seriously doubt they'll be digging that deep.

You could be right.

Narrowing it down to 40 doesn't mean they didn't vette the finalists.

It's just a guess on my end, based on how concerned they are about the optics.

Either way, I'm glad some folks get to help.
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
I bet they would have liked to.  But with 40 apps and 3 to 6 people per app thats between 120 and 240 people.  And no real way to know if they are looking at the right social media profiles.  Seems like Patti is carrying the bulk of the load workwise so unless they hired an outside research firm i bet they had to pass!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2020, 12:41:12 PM »
You guys are likely right. 

Either way, it could be an interesting adventure.
I love the BFRO!!!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #216 on: May 31, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »
We received our loser email
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #217 on: May 31, 2020, 03:19:30 PM »
Not selected. I guess I can finally be in the hunt wa losers lounge?  :chuckle: Not sure I really ever wanted to be a member though.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2020, 08:31:50 PM »
I mentioned earlier in this thread or similar that given the influx of applications it was going to be a lot of luck rather than a competition for who had the "best" teams. My impression is that were many very competitive teams,  reading some of the posts I saw here and other social media sites many seemed to have the impression that the teams would be ranked and hopes were high because of certain experience or qualifications, I know initially I was. While I think that may have been the original intent, after rumors of 500+ applications it stood to reason there was no way the man hours needed to support that kind of ranking system would be available. At some point a drawing had to happen. I am honestly impressed and even a bit surprised at the amount of communication and effort Happe has put into this. It would have been easy to take the minimum qualifications and just start pulling apps till you got to 21, randomly select them, or pick an arbitrary qualification ( professional guide or hunter, maybe affiliated with a brand or ambassador) and pick just from those. The fact she actually went through them all, assembled a more qualified applicant pool to draw 40 and then took the time to have a panel evaluate those 40 and narrow it to the 21 selected is more than I expected.  Its unknown whether this will be an epic adventure, or just a sightseeing tour for those who are picked. Regardless I appreciate the effort from Dr. Happe

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #219 on: May 31, 2020, 08:41:23 PM »
I know some guys who applied with 21 goats between them, hunted all over the world and they were not selected.

Probably gave it to some liars who pumped their stats.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2020, 09:20:19 PM »
I know some guys who applied with 21 goats between them, hunted all over the world and they were not selected.

or they just didn't get drawn  :dunno:  I know everyone had the best team ever assembled but 60 teams DIDN'T get pulled in a random draw.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #221 on: May 31, 2020, 09:21:54 PM »

MG?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #222 on: May 31, 2020, 10:01:34 PM »
Its important to remember this is a pilot program, odds are good those in charge did not forecast or understand the level of interest this would generate. Rumors are some big names in the hunting industry put teams together along with thousands of very accomplished hunters. In hindsight leading with a draw and then vetting those drawn may have been the better option. Again IMO they were planning to rank 40 applications for 20 positions. Receiving 1200 changes that drastically.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #223 on: May 31, 2020, 10:19:12 PM »
Its important to remember this is a pilot program, odds are good those in charge did not forecast or understand the level of interest this would generate. Rumors are some big names in the hunting industry put teams together along with thousands of very accomplished hunters. In hindsight leading with a draw and then vetting those drawn may have been the better option. Again IMO they were planning to rank 40 applications for 20 positions. Receiving 1200 changes that drastically.

That never occurred to me as a possibility. What if “that famous TV hunter guy” applied?

What a thankless task to choose the teams.

Not selected, by the way.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2020, 10:29:44 PM »
In the past, during comment periods regarding eradicating goats, the mention of thousands of hunters willing to pay thousands each were made to park officials.  They had been informed that many people are waiting years and years to go after a goat.  So, there should have been some idea that they were going to get a flood of applications.  Probably would've got a thousand more applications if the deadline was pushed another week.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal