collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?  (Read 66377 times)

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?
« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2020, 02:59:32 PM »
My team did not get selected either.... But glad to see this opportunity, maybe they'll utilize sportsman again if this goes well

Good luck to the successful applicants, this is a true hunt of a lifetime

Offline sagemd

• Hunter
  • Groups: 98446
« Reply #271 on: June 02, 2020, 04:14:59 PM »
None of this would have been needed if the park service would have used the north American wildlife model (best in the world) to manage the wildlife (goats) inside the parks.
This came about because of their huge failure.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #272 on: June 02, 2020, 05:19:00 PM »
None of this would have been needed if the park service would have used the north American wildlife model (best in the world) to manage the wildlife (goats) inside the parks.
This came about because of their huge failure.

What exactly are you saying here? Are you saying that National Parks should be opened to hunting, and that should be a modification made to the North American wildlife model (best in the world)?
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline scudmaster

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Aim Small, Miss Small!
« Reply #273 on: June 02, 2020, 05:54:13 PM »
We did not get selected, but I have to say, the process was fair enough.  I would have liked to see the selection criteria spelled out a bit more, but in the end, we need to support this type of program.  The could just hire professional USFWS hunters to do these removals.  So that they are including hunters is a great model to build on.  Support it now and suggest tweaks for improvements later.
NRA Life Member
WA Wild Sheep Life Member
Snoqualmie Elk Mgmt Group
RMEF Member
BHA Member
Blue Lives Matter

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #274 on: June 02, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »
 :yeah:  You said it well, scud. As it's been mentioned before, at least we as hunters are given an opportunity to help with fulfilling a national organizations needs. :tup:

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #275 on: June 02, 2020, 09:46:22 PM »

[/quote]
 :yeah: I spoke with her the day after the announcement was made, and she spent a half hour talking me through the program, qualifications, outcomes, national implications, etc... She and her team did a phenomenal job in responding to everyone I heard of that reached out for personal communication, they pushed through reviewing all of these apps, and are fully supporting bringing in hunters to assist with this effort. When I talked to her she mentioned this was the first time the NPS was bringing hunters into this kind of terrain, to assist with removal of a species that live in this kind of habitat. There are national eyes on this, and the outcome will help dictate if these opportunities come up in other Parks. She was in no way taking any of this lightly. She deserves accolades from the WA hunt community for the support and effort she's put in. This is a great example of the Federal Gov't using all management techniques available, partnering with the sportsman's community, and acting in a fiscally responsible manner. Lets avoid disparaging the work she and her teams put into this.
[/quote]

Very well said...

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #276 on: June 02, 2020, 09:55:56 PM »
I'm beginning to think being a hunt wa member was an automatic disqualifier.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #277 on: June 02, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »

:yeah: I spoke with her the day after the announcement was made, and she spent a half hour talking me through the program, qualifications, outcomes, national implications, etc... She and her team did a phenomenal job in responding to everyone I heard of that reached out for personal communication, they pushed through reviewing all of these apps, and are fully supporting bringing in hunters to assist with this effort. When I talked to her she mentioned this was the first time the NPS was bringing hunters into this kind of terrain, to assist with removal of a species that live in this kind of habitat. There are national eyes on this, and the outcome will help dictate if these opportunities come up in other Parks. She was in no way taking any of this lightly. She deserves accolades from the WA hunt community for the support and effort she's put in. This is a great example of the Federal Gov't using all management techniques available, partnering with the sportsman's community, and acting in a fiscally responsible manner. Lets avoid disparaging the work she and her teams put into this.
[/quote]

Very well said...
[/quote]

:yeah:  agreed, very well put  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #278 on: June 02, 2020, 10:52:20 PM »
Very strong likelyhood that there were groups that were "more qualified" than the groups that were ultimately selected that got nuked by the draw.

Also, this isn't a state run lottery.  I feel they went above and beyond. Patti could have dropped apps simply because a name was hard to pronounce but she didn't. She went through a lot of effort to make this as fair and calculated as she could.  :twocents:
:yeah:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #279 on: June 03, 2020, 06:19:00 AM »
Its a good thing they have a backup plan
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Online luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #280 on: June 03, 2020, 08:20:37 AM »
I did send Dr Happe a thank you, even though we were not selected.  It is the most impressed I've been with a government employee in a while.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #281 on: June 03, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »
I did send Dr Happe a thank you, even though we were not selected.  It is the most impressed I've been with a government employee in a while.

Ditto
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline sagemd

• Hunter
  • Groups: 98446
« Reply #282 on: June 03, 2020, 06:19:13 PM »
  "What exactly are you saying here? Are you saying that National Parks should be opened to hunting, and that should be a modification made to the North American wildlife model (best in the world)?"

What I'm saying is the park service had known for decades that the goats were over populating and did nothing.
Now they are exterminating them. The wildlife and tax payer deserves better. They could have chosen the manage for a healthy population 30 or 40 years ago.
Yes. I'm saying they could have and should have had very regulated hunts.
They could have set any rules/requirements needed.
That is what they are doing know. Only it is to exterminate not manage. Probably to late to manage.
The park service created this problem.

No need to modify the north American wildlife model. It works great.
The park service has ignored it.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #283 on: June 03, 2020, 08:01:45 PM »
  "What exactly are you saying here? Are you saying that National Parks should be opened to hunting, and that should be a modification made to the North American wildlife model (best in the world)?"

What I'm saying is the park service had known for decades that the goats were over populating and did nothing.
Now they are exterminating them. The wildlife and tax payer deserves better. They could have chosen the manage for a healthy population 30 or 40 years ago.
Yes. I'm saying they could have and should have had very regulated hunts.
They could have set any rules/requirements needed.
That is what they are doing know. Only it is to exterminate not manage. Probably to late to manage.
The park service created this problem.

No need to modify the north American wildlife model. It works great.
The park service has ignored it.

Right or wrong, The plan was never to manage the heard, the plan was to completely remove them from the ecosystem and its been that way for at least 20 years....

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #284 on: June 03, 2020, 08:03:02 PM »

Very well said...
[/quote]

:yeah:  agreed, very well put  :tup:
[/quote]

Who knows, if this goes well maybe it will lead to future "Hunter" coapration inside the NPS.  :tup:

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw