collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW's stance moves sheriff to consider trapping wolves  (Read 5100 times)

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: WDFW's stance moves sheriff to consider trapping wolves
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:57:52 AM »
Good idea.  It shifts at least some of the wolf costs and liability (think lawsuits) to the taxpayers of Stevens County and off of hunters, which has been a major issue in my view.  :tup:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 09:04:21 AM »
Good idea.  It shifts at least some of the wolf costs and liability (think lawsuits) to the taxpayers of Stevens County and off of hunters, which has been a major issue in my view.  :tup:

Why should the costs and liability fall on the shoulders of stevens county tax payers?  People here never wanted this.  Our wolf problem comes from wdfw and their absurd wolf plan.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 09:08:23 AM »
wdfw wont allow it any way as it comes with a layer of transparency which they do not want as it would also trash their default deny deny deny...….

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 09:11:15 AM »

Why should the costs and liability fall on the shoulders of stevens county tax payers?  People here never wanted this.  Our wolf problem comes from wdfw and their absurd wolf plan.
Thats a question for the sheriff, not me.  He's the one offering up the county's tax dollars to cover this.  I'm not arguing whether its fair or not, but I want WDFW spending to go to 0 on wolf management because its a bottomless pit in this state.  If a county wants to shift a token amount of costs off of WDFW, Im all for it. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 09:16:59 AM »
Wdfw created the problem the way i see it, and should have the burden of addressing it.  The only reason that the county is stepping up is because the state refuses to take care of its mess, and the problem needs to be addressed one way or another.  You dont want wdfw paying for this wolf thing?  Well who created our wolf plan?  Not the tax payers of stevens county.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 09:28:08 AM »
Again, talk to your sheriff about spending your tax dollars and opening your county coffers up to all kinds of lawsuits on this highly political topic...I certainly would not have written a blank check like that to the state, and the article indicates the state is actually looking at how it can be done, I bet they take him up on it if at all possible.

WDFW could have rearranged some deck chairs on the titanic a little better, but the politics of this state would never allow a plan that would suffice for many of us; so as a hunter I want their spending and focus on wolves to go to 0.  They will never be able to do anything meaningful about wolves so I don't want limited resources wasted on it.   

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 09:36:25 AM »
At the end of the day, it is a good thing that counties sheriffs and public officials are stating wolves need to be dealt with.  It is a step in the right direction in my opinion.  Stevens and Klickitat County sheriffs have taken a stances on the wolf and cougar problem.....this is good.  Our liberal state will never agree on how to deal with these problems....so the only way to get action is to have local jurisdictions just do it.  Come hell or high water.....the east side has to stand up and say enough!!!   

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 10:34:04 AM »
Even if they don't do it, it can't help but push for more attention to be paid to the issue.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 11:38:29 AM »
This makes a lot of sense. It's important to have collared wolves in every pack to help confirm livestock kills. The county already pays the guy they want to trap and collar, I think he is very capable of getting the job done, probably more capable than WDFW who is failing to get many wolves collared. I would think the county could get additional volunteers deputized to help with this program. The overall cost per wolf collared would likely be a fraction of the cost to WDFW to get the same or better results. :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 02:25:25 PM »
This makes a lot of sense. It's important to have collared wolves in every pack to help confirm livestock kills. The county already pays the guy they want to trap and collar, I think he is very capable of getting the job done, probably more capable than WDFW who is failing to get many wolves collared. I would think the county could get additional volunteers deputized to help with this program. The overall cost per wolf collared would likely be a fraction of the cost to WDFW to get the same or better results. :twocents:

I guarantee if jeff gets the green light he will get enough done in short order to make wdfw look really damn bad.

Offline chukarchaser

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 06:20:46 PM »
I am a big fan of counties having more of an active role in this. But I do believe that the state should remain responsible for all liability issues.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 06:29:11 PM »

I guarantee if jeff gets the green light he will get enough done in short order to make wdfw look really damn bad.
No disregard to Jeff he probably would make them look bad.But we are talking about WDFW I don't think it would take much,they make themselves look bad without Jeff. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 08:50:41 AM »
Stevens County Cattleman association is donating the collars,  it's not a stevens county taxpayer burden.   

Also, Stevens county Sheriff gets wildlife patrol money from WDFW (I'm unsure of the amount or strings attached) to "patrol the woods" and enforce fishing and hunting regs.

but like I said, I don't know for sure if this money could be used in this way.  Jeff Flood is paid for via grants.   

So I expect there'd be very little if any actual cost to Stevens CO taxpayers/residents.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »

especially if he were to deputize some trappers   :hello:

I know I'd help!    but I know some other guys who are much better trappers than I and have experience trapping them in AK.  and some in ID too. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]