collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kodiak Canvas flex bow  (Read 18334 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: Kodiak Canvas flex bow
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2020, 09:28:20 AM »
Not sure why folks are recommending replacing the tent stakes for their flex bow, the ones I have and use have served me well without any problems approximately 1/4 inch diameter 11 inches long.

I bent the factory ones the first time I set the tent up in rocky soil and hammering them in, that's why.

I also bent some of the factory stakes in rocky soil. Got some of the huge nails (no washer/friend in the railroad) and they’ve worked well when needed. 

So are these really hard to get now?

I ordered mine beginning of last week and supposed to be free 2 day shipping. Have gotten two emails now that my order has been delayed and I can cancel it or continue to wait. If it takes 60 days or longer it will be automatically cancelled. This was from Cabelas/Bass Pro

That's standard protocol for Cabelas/Bass Pro. I've experienced that before. They're more than happy to take your money and then tell you after the fact that you may or may not get what you ordered.

Even buying directly from Kodiak there was over a month delay too...

Yeah, but they probably notify you of that before you hand them your money.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2020, 09:31:57 AM »
Not sure why folks are recommending replacing the tent stakes for their flex bow, the ones I have and use have served me well without any problems approximately 1/4 inch diameter 11 inches long.

I bent the factory ones the first time I set the tent up in rocky soil and hammering them in, that's why.

I also bent some of the factory stakes in rocky soil. Got some of the huge nails (no washer/friend in the railroad) and they’ve worked well when needed. 

So are these really hard to get now?

I ordered mine beginning of last week and supposed to be free 2 day shipping. Have gotten two emails now that my order has been delayed and I can cancel it or continue to wait. If it takes 60 days or longer it will be automatically cancelled. This was from Cabelas/Bass Pro

That's standard protocol for Cabelas/Bass Pro. I've experienced that before. They're more than happy to take your money and then tell you after the fact that you may or may not get what you ordered.

Even buying directly from Kodiak there was over a month delay too...

Yeah, but they probably notify you of that before you hand them your money.

yes it was posted on the ad but I save $150 from BassPro and didn't need the tent right away so I don't care as long as I get it. I was just letting others know in case they were buying in hopes of getting it quickly  :tup:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2020, 10:25:08 AM »
Kodiak Canvas' website says pretty much everything is out of stock until July.

I've been doing some research on a new tent and am hoping to buy something before the end of summer. I've got myself narrowed down to a smaller ish wall tent or the Kodiak Canvas 12x12 cabin. I'd probably also get the enclosed 8x8 awning with the Kodiak tent. I've got zero experience with wall tents and am trying to figure out the pluses and minuses of either setup. They're not very different I guess.

Thoughts?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2020, 10:29:27 AM »
Don't forget to look at Springbar tents. They are the originators of the design.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2020, 03:16:30 PM »
just got an email from Bass Pro that my order was cancelled.

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2020, 05:08:19 PM »
I'm looking for a 10x10 if anybody on here is thinking about upgrading to a larger size. 

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2020, 06:05:21 PM »
Kodiak Canvas' website says pretty much everything is out of stock until July.

I've been doing some research on a new tent and am hoping to buy something before the end of summer. I've got myself narrowed down to a smaller ish wall tent or the Kodiak Canvas 12x12 cabin. I'd probably also get the enclosed 8x8 awning with the Kodiak tent. I've got zero experience with wall tents and am trying to figure out the pluses and minuses of either setup. They're not very different I guess.

Thoughts?

One of the biggest differences between the two is a wall tent has no floor whereas the Kodiak (&springbar, the originator of the design) have a heavy duty vinyl (?) floor. That floor makes it mor difficult to dry the tent prior to storage....especially for this Wet side guy with just a single car garage.. if one had a big workshop or barn, not a big deal. Of course both have to be dried prior to storage, but believe me when I say I’ve run some interesting setups with heaters, multiple fans and such following a wet or snowy late season trip when it’s raining on my return.

That’s just one difference. Another: The kodiak can be set up fairly quickly by one person. The only wall tent I personally helped set up and put away was a huge army surplus tent. I think the bare minimum to set that up would have been 4 strong guys, though we always had more. Ladders and chainsaws were used.

Last big difference IMO is space. Two cots, a table and a couple of chairs fill my 10x14..haven’t tried it, but a 3rd cot might fit in a pinc, but the table would have to go along with a chair or 2-3.

I’ve used mine on some solo trips for 5-10 days the past few years and absolutely love it (except for drying it....due to current living conditions)
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Archry

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2020, 07:20:31 PM »
I have a 10 by 12 davis wall tent. The canvas weighs 43 pnds. Takes me an hour to set up by myself. Takes wind n snow. Wish it was 12 by 14. Awesome tent.  Am interested in trying a flex bow for summer months n the quick set up. I do like the rigidness of the wall tent.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2020, 07:35:16 PM »
This and 92s thread got me super excited about these tents and after a week of research I decided today that I needed to add one of these to the tent line up... I think this will become my most used car camping tent and even my wife is excited about getting it.
 Ordered a Springbar Hot Tent today..    :)

https://springbar.com/collections/tents-in-stock-today/products/springbar-hot-tent-packages?variant=30706826870861

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
What do you all recommend for upgraded stakes? I was thinking to make my own either with long lag bolts or the mondo nails and weld some washers on them. I am open to buying them if there is some good recommendations.

https://monkindustries.com/products-page/forged-head-12/
These are the ones I found years ago, that are great. I have recommended them and know of at least 8 folks that have upgraded to them with no complaints.

sweet if I don't get around to making some I'll order some of them.

How many does a guy need on the tent, haven't got this one out to count loops yet.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Camo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2020, 08:47:19 PM »
My 10x10 Flex Bow has been my 1-2 man go to the last few years before stove season or weekend warrior stuff. Great tent and easy set-up for one guy. But if you need another option due to lead time or looking for a hot tent option, you might consider this? https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/canvas-tent-specials/products/selkirk-spike-tent-frame-floor
Easier than a wall tent for single person set-up with vertical walls.
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2020, 09:48:16 PM »
What do you all recommend for upgraded stakes? I was thinking to make my own either with long lag bolts or the mondo nails and weld some washers on them. I am open to buying them if there is some good recommendations.

https://monkindustries.com/products-page/forged-head-12/
These are the ones I found years ago, that are great. I have recommended them and know of at least 8 folks that have upgraded to them with no complaints.

sweet if I don't get around to making some I'll order some of them.

How many does a guy need on the tent, haven't got this one out to count loops yet.

Pretty sure it’s 10 plus a couple for the awning lines....which don’t need to be as stout IMO.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2020, 06:28:56 AM »

Well, thats no good! Are you going to try to order somewhere else?

@Actionshooter...That looks like a great package set! I never knew about the Springbar brand when I was shopping canvas tents. Thats going to work great.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2020, 07:34:39 AM »

@Actionshooter...That looks like a great package set! I never knew about the Springbar brand when I was shopping canvas tents. Thats going to work great.

Yep, I am going to keep my eye out and see what else pops up

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »

Yep, I am going to keep my eye out and see what else pops up
I looked at that one and they said "Back order-able" one day and then not the next... there is a possibility that one of the stores have them on the shelf, but that would be a pain to find.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]