collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 moose was 9 years old  (Read 9033 times)

Offline scrapperdude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: 2019 moose was 9 years old
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 08:15:29 AM »
I'd like to experience this problem :tup:

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 10:15:58 AM »
Mine was 8 years old and was tough. Like others, the taste was fine. Lots of burger and pepperoni.

Online HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 01:29:57 PM »
Only 8!!!??? Wow I figured he would have been 12+. Great genetics and food source I guess

Offline Buckjunkie

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
That’s what I thought too

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 02:32:14 PM »
Anyone know if there is a place to send teeth from moose shot outside of WA to have them aged?  I would love to know how old my 19 canada moose was? 

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »
age of moose seems to have no bearing on tenderness of steaks..it seems to be a crap shoot when it comes to moose meat. I have had older bulls that were tender and young bulls that were like rubber

Eat moose steaks while they are red hot. If they chill much they turn to shoe leather. That is what I have been told by some.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 03:26:09 PM »
age of moose seems to have no bearing on tenderness of steaks..it seems to be a crap shoot when it comes to moose meat. I have had older bulls that were tender and young bulls that were like rubber

Eat moose steaks while they are red hot. If they chill much they turn to shoe leather. That is what I have been told by some.

In Canada the butchers turn most of their steak into "minute steak".  When I had my first elk butchered up their they ask if I wanted minute steak and how much I wanted.  Not knowing what they were talking about I ask them to just do a standard cut and give me some minuet steak.   

After I got home, I found out minute steak is basically cubed steak.   It is delicious and makes it very tender.  I should have known better......these guys cut and eat a lot more moose than I do.   If they ask about a certain cut, you should stick to their suggestion.   :chuckle: :chuckle:  For those with moose in their freezer, if you don't have a cuber you should buy one.  Minute steak is a fantastic way to eat tough moose.  Hot cast iron pan with butter in it to sear off a minute state generously seasoned with salt and pepper....mmmmmmmm.....doesn't get much better.  Literally 30 seconds on both sides and eat.   :tup:

Offline Buckjunkie

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 06:15:28 PM »
+1

I have started cubing all but the most tender cuts. Helps limit the amount of burger and turns tough meat into delicious cuts. We eat a lot of burger, but with multiple hunters in the family we were getting too much before we started cubing.

Offline Roobugsdad

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2020, 05:36:09 PM »
My 2018 Bull was 11 yrs old. Steaks are a little tough. Still taste great and the burger is awesome. I was very surprised at the age of my bull.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2020, 06:36:29 PM »
If I remember correctly, my bull was 8.5 years old.   I personally think the quality of the meat has to do with how you care for it immediately following the harvest.  We got it out quickly, packed the chest cavity with bottles of frozen water, stitched it up with rope, then got it to a cooler.   When we registered it, the outside of the hide was cooled enough that you could tell the difference when touching it.   Never had a steak that was tough.

Second most important part is cooking.   Certain individuals can turn any steak into jerky.

Offline Buckjunkie

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2020, 07:34:44 PM »
If I remember correctly, my bull was 8.5 years old.   I personally think the quality of the meat has to do with how you care for it immediately following the harvest.  We got it out quickly, packed the chest cavity with bottles of frozen water, stitched it up with rope, then got it to a cooler.   When we registered it, the outside of the hide was cooled enough that you could tell the difference when touching it.   Never had a steak that was tough.

Second most important part is cooking.   Certain individuals can turn any steak into jerky.

[qoute]

I agree with you...care and preparation makes a difference. Antelope makes a huge difference when you get them on ice quick. That said, I have killed 2 Shiras moose and my son has 1. All were taken care of and cooled quickly. All were tough. Taste was fine, but real chewy.

I have only been in on 3 so it’s anecdotal, but I have talked many other guys that had the same experience.

Offline Roobugsdad

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
I agree with buckjunkie, my moose was taken care of and in a cooler within a couple hours. delicious, but a little chewy.

Offline Blsum

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2020, 07:41:24 PM »
So I shot my 2019 bull on Oct. 20th. After my bull was loaded in the truck we beat feet to get home (Olympia area). Once we hit the road headed home we noticed a game check point just outside of Chewelah. We decided to stop. Figuring that the folks at the check point probably don't get many chances to see a moose. Of course everyone at the check point wanted to check him out. I had them remove the tooth that they wanted. They took my information and told me that they would contact me later for more info. So the same day my bull was harvested the wdfw had my tooth. I've been checking at leSt once a week since this thread was started to see how old my bull was. Still to this day it says the results are still pending. I'm sure the pandemic isn't helping anything. So once I find out how old my bull is I will let everyone know. Not knowing how old my bull is I do have to say that the meat has been amazing. Every steak I've cooked has been nice and tender.
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2020, 07:54:36 PM »
Mine was 4 and I was surprised he was that young. Steaks were a little tough but tasty.

Offline Blsum

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 10:03:19 PM »
Well I finally found out the age of my bull. 7 years old. I would have never guessed he was that old, at least by how tender he is.
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal