collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey season shut down chances.  (Read 66660 times)

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Turkey season shut down chances.
« Reply #585 on: May 02, 2020, 08:11:54 AM »
Just curious, what would be the advantage of hunting turkeys with a dog?  I can see where a good dog is always a nice companion in the field, but seems they could be far more of a hindrance than a help on turkeys.  I also don't think you will ever see any more trap and release in this state. It seems to me WDFW sees them more as a nuisance than anything else. I've been hunting and generally just watching turkeys in my general area for going on 26 years. Never have I seen as many birds as this year. 3 straight years of good Winters and high poult survival have resulted in huge winter flocks. I'm not big on shooting hens either and no turkey expert, but can't think that these winter flocks of 200+ birds is a healthy situation (and there were numerous flocks that size in the area this winter). If and when we get a hard winter the birds will be decimated as so many vie for the limited feed opportunities.  I can only speak for my general area in  121 not the state in general.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
Re: Turkey season shut down chances.
« Reply #586 on: May 02, 2020, 08:48:13 AM »
Just curious, what would be the advantage of hunting turkeys with a dog?  I can see where a good dog is always a nice companion in the field, but seems they could be far more of a hindrance than a help on turkeys.  I also don't think you will ever see any more trap and release in this state. It seems to me WDFW sees them more as a nuisance than anything else. I've been hunting and generally just watching turkeys in my general area for going on 26 years. Never have I seen as many birds as this year. 3 straight years of good Winters and high poult survival have resulted in huge winter flocks. I'm not big on shooting hens either and no turkey expert, but can't think that these winter flocks of 200+ birds is a healthy situation (and there were numerous flocks that size in the area this winter). If and when we get a hard winter the birds will be decimated as so many vie for the limited feed opportunities.  I can only speak for my general area in  121 not the state in general.

I can't say there is much of an advantage....well that's not true there are some. Its really fun and provides another opportunity to work your dog say before upland and duck season. I don't know anyone that can run faster than a dog. And I don't know anyone that can smell better than a dog. One of the best ways (besides patterning a flock/run and gun) to hunt in the fall is to find a flock. Bust the flock up. Then call the birds back. The trick is getting them to really, really scatter in all different directions when doing this method. As a human standing 6' tall and running with gear on at maybe 10mph it doesn't always go so well. You release your dog however and they stand a much better chance of getting the flock to scatter without any coordination. You casually stroll up to where they were. Get your dog back to you. Sit down and start calling. I'll bring a pop up blind for my dog or even lay my jacket over them for cover. If all goes according to plan the birds will flock back up in front of you and you shoot one. Additionally the dog may lead you to the turkeys with their nose so you can implore the above method. But they are usually pretty easy to find in the fall in their big flocks. Last, like you said, I just love hunting with my dog for companionship.

I have property in 121 so I share your sentiment. I have birds a decent amount of turkeys on my property, my friends over the hill have one of those 100-200 bird flocks, and so do two of their neighbors. Talking close 400+ birds in a 2 mile radius in the winter. These are the areas that could definitely see and take the pressure of a fall hunt. Also be good for trap and transplant but yes, I don't see it happening again.
Keep Calm Gobble On

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand