collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shrimp?  (Read 10355 times)

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Shrimp?
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2020, 07:00:14 AM »

If you really want to get pissed look into why Marine area 4 isn't going to open for bottom fish on Tuesday with the rest of the coastal marine areas.... :bash:

I assume it is because the tribes are blocking it but I don't know where to find the proper info. Please share if you have a link.
[/quote]

Well if you believe the WDWF press release...

Halibut and razor clam harvest will remain closed in these areas for now due to continued port closures and concerns about the spread of coronavirus in local communities.
Marine Area 4 (Neah Bay) also remains closed to all recreational fishing and shellfish harvesting.
WDFW continues to communicate with public health experts, port commissioners, and tribal co-managers regarding these opportunities in the future.
“We’ve continually said we will only open fisheries when local communities feel it is safe to do so, and with the full cooperation of public health officials,” said Larry Phillips, director of WDFW’s coastal region. “While not everything is reopening right away, this is a huge step toward returning to typical fishing seasons along the coast. Some of Washington’s best fishing takes place in the ocean, and we’re excited to see people getting back out there, even if the experience is somewhat different.”

SO they open bottom fish and allow people into Westport for that but apparently halibut fishing is more likely to spread covid??. And Razor clamming apparently to....but the tribes have coastal clam digs going on all week. ??

The part of the WDWF statement referring to tribal co-managers is the key here. I'm not going to sugar coat it. The state gave into the Makah's requests to keep MA 4 closed to rec guys because of the fear of people coming into the marina. Plain and simple. So the state is allowing the tribes to call the shots in a Marina area they don't own. So technically I can run from MA5 to MA3 and bottom fish but I cant stop in MA4 to fish because the Makah's said so....Hmm...We will be lucky to get a north coast salmon season the way things are going.

It's a big crap sandwich. IF you want more info message me.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2020, 08:30:59 AM »
Definitely a **** sandwich! I have no problem with the Rez' being closed, even the marina. That is there choice. But there is no reason someone couldn't run from Sekiu and return there. I guess our breath could blow in on the sea breeze. I wonder how many longlines are draped all over the sea floor right now?

*I am sure it is not easy for WDFW to navigate this mess we are dealing with but given their management history, this is shaping up to be long miserable year in regards to fishing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:46:51 AM by Mfowl »
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2020, 08:53:43 AM »
A few other things are being kept closed in that area too.  The National Park is keeping the beaches and trails in that area closed.  Just concentrating more people into the open areas.  I thought I heard clamming won't open until Oct/Nov?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2020, 09:07:48 AM »
A few other things are being kept closed in that area too.  The National Park is keeping the beaches and trails in that area closed.  Just concentrating more people into the open areas.  I thought I heard clamming won't open until Oct/Nov?

Yeah, getting too close to the spawn by the time it could open.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2020, 12:17:25 AM »
Definitely a **** sandwich! I have no problem with the Rez' being closed, even the marina. That is there choice. But there is no reason someone couldn't run from Sekiu and return there. I guess our breath could blow in on the sea breeze. I wonder how many longlines are draped all over the sea floor right now?

*I am sure it is not easy for WDFW to navigate this mess we are dealing with but given their management history, this is shaping up to be long miserable year in regards to fishing.

Yep, complete BS, and I don't have a horse in the race since it's too far for me to run.

Get this, no clamming allowed in the San Juans yet either, you can trample all over the beaches, leave your dog's crap everywhere, but oh no, you'd better not think of digging up a clam for dinner..... 

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2020, 12:23:03 AM »
 Vote Out Inslee!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2020, 12:33:11 AM »
At least they are "giving" us a spot prawn season, thank you m'lord......   :o

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
I think he hasn't ever been out spot shrimping, maybe most people from WDFW as well.  From what I can see the last thing any of us want to do is hang out in groups at the launch, you couldn't get people out of there faster if you lit the dock on fire. 

That said, there are people that set their pot within 6' of mine on a regular basis.  Hopefully we can work on that this year.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2020, 06:34:31 PM »
I think he hasn't ever been out spot shrimping, maybe most people from WDFW as well.  From what I can see the last thing any of us want to do is hang out in groups at the launch, you couldn't get people out of there faster if you lit the dock on fire. 

That said, there are people that set their pot within 6' of mine on a regular basis.  Hopefully we can work on that this year.

Defintiely too close, you want to be about 50' down current so you can use their scent trail.   :chuckle:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2020, 02:21:49 PM »
Man, was today about perfect for shrimping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2020, 04:30:36 PM »

:tup: How were the crowds?
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2020, 06:03:00 PM »

Yep, 700+ for two of us and one pull with four pots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2020, 07:18:20 PM »
Awesome day on the water catching spot prawns.
We had 2 limits in 2 pots, had to toss the overage back and dump the third pot. Another buddy got 4 limits in out of 4 pots, dumping the extra.

:tup: :tup: :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »
Curious - what's a limit of prawns?
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."