collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A Personal Favor  (Read 10768 times)

Offline Goshawk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
A Personal Favor
« on: May 07, 2020, 09:43:49 PM »
I have a personal favor to ask of you all.
Before dropping your hard earned coin on another "made in China" optic make the effort to see if it can be bought from either the USA or at least a nation that does not make a goal out destroying our economy.  In other words, support those manufactures who support you and your neighbors.

And yes, I've just about had it with otherwise proud American Shooters boasting of saving $25 dollars by buying made in China crap, then wondering if I can fix it for them after it fogs up or no longer holds a focus.

By once and be proud of your purchase.

End of made in the USA commercial,
Stay Safe. Stay Strong!
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: A Personal Favor
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 10:11:06 PM »
 :yeah: :tup:

What are all the USA made optics?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 10:40:01 PM »
we need to bring a lot of this stuff back to America,First step is getting the younger generation into the right schools to learn the right trades to bring the manufacturing jobs back to America.

Machine tech. is 1 big one.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 10:49:41 PM »
we need to bring a lot of this stuff back to America,First step is getting the younger generation into the right schools to learn the right trades to bring the manufacturing jobs back to America.

Machine tech. is 1 big one.  :tup:
[/quote

Wait, what? Everyone should go to free college, where have you been?    :o :rolleyes: :chuckle:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 08:39:38 AM »
The good news is that corporations are fleeing China  like rats off a sinking ship. The reliability of production and shipping are gone. More thing will be made in the USA, but many of the things made in China will move to Mexico.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »
Not to many optics that are 100 percent US made. Especially the glass.  But a guy could get pretty close with a few brands.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »
let's list some!   I'm 100% committed to not buying Chinese product if at all possible, I'd rather do without than buy that crap. 
I try to find product that has zero ties to China. 

https://mavenbuilt.com/

Here's a company I don't know much about but am interested to hear some reviews

edit:  So I called them, the premium line is Japanese glass and assembled in the USA.   The cheaper stuff has some Chinese components (C series and RS series)
They offer 10% off for Mil/LE if you call and send proof to customer service.

They went down a notch in my interest level, there's other companies with Japanese glass too...probably the same exact lenses from the same exact factory but with 40-50% off for mil/le. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:12:44 AM by KFhunter »

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 08:53:42 AM »
Lot of the top end optics companies are european. As for rifle scopes,  lot of these companies need to start making scopes that people actually want and at a price point that matches the quality  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 09:16:47 AM »
Not to many optics that are 100 percent US made. Especially the glass.  But a guy could get pretty close with a few brands.

Maven was suppose to be 100% USA, and I found several articles stating such.   

I just called them like 5 minutes ago,  they are not 100% USA.   

The premium lines are Japan glass, assembled in the US with US parts. <--(I can live with that, about as close as you can get to USA made)
even so it sounds like they are assembled in California and probably with imported MX laborers ??   

The C series and RS series has some chinese components and less than premium glass. 

So at this point, I am unaware of any optic that is 100% USA made. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:35:02 AM by KFhunter »

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
From the Leupold Site.

"Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world."

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 09:50:28 AM »

Maven was suppose to be 100% USA, and I found several articles stating such.   

I just called them like 5 minutes ago,  they are not 100% USA.   

The premium lines are Japan glass, assembled in the US with US parts. <--(I can live with that, about as close as you can get to USA made)
even so it sounds like they are assembled in California and probably with imported MX laborers ??   

The C series and RS series has some chinese components and less than premium glass. 

So at this point, I am unaware of any optic that is 100% USA made.

I'll take any scope that has it's glass ground in Japan, Germany or another friendly country so long as the rest of it is done here. From my Machinist Days, I know Japan understands quality control. Ditto Germany and a few other non iron curtain countries. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 10:10:41 AM »
From the Leupold Site.

"Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world."

Also from the Leupold site:

Where does Leupold get its glass?
At this time, there are no American manufacturers that can supply enough high quality lenses to support our Golden Ring Optics production. Our lens systems are designed at Leupold, by American optical engineers, in our state-of -the-art optics labs. The glass is then procured from vendors who must meet stringent quality standards. Incoming parts are carefully inspected in our testing facility before they are accepted into the build process.

All major optics producers acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold. Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian. The source of the base material is not nearly as important as the optical design. Our glass is so much clearer due to our proprietary lens coatings, how we engineer the prescription of the lenses, and the construction of the optic itself.

I bet someone could do very well in the US if they opened a lens making factory that's on par, or exceeds, foreign manufacturers. 

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 08:49:52 PM »
From the Leupold Site.

Also from the Leupold site:

Where does Leupold get its glass?
At this time, there are no American manufacturers that can supply enough high quality lenses to support our Golden Ring Optics production. Our lens systems are designed at Leupold, by American optical engineers, in our state-of -the-art optics labs. The glass is then procured from vendors who must meet stringent quality standards. Incoming parts are carefully inspected in our testing facility before they are accepted into the build process.

All major optics producers acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold. Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian. The source of the base material is not nearly as important as the optical design. Our glass is so much clearer due to our proprietary lens coatings, how we engineer the prescription of the lenses, and the construction of the optic itself.

I bet someone could do very well in the US if they opened a lens making factory that's on par, or exceeds, foreign manufacturers.

It's very sophisticated CNC equipment which is what Japan does a great job while China is such a hit and mostly miss experience.   I agree, it would be a kick to get into something like that for a starter business.  Anyone here with enough coin want to try? I'd kick in to the effort.

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 09:13:37 PM »
Not optic related, I just ordered a S&W 929 all USA made. I will be adding a Red-dot at some time.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Online JWBINX

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: LIFE NRA, RMEF
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 09:18:20 PM »
Just buy Leupold! Why would you not?
They are the best in the business. :tup:

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 01:30:09 PM »

I saw no end to well intention buyers who looked over scopes on display and decided to save $20 without any regard to where their money goes, or it's lack of  warranty.  It's just human nature to say "mine cost less".   

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 02:00:44 PM »
I'm very happy with my Steiner German-made glass for around $900. I couldn't afford the Leupold price tag. I spent $2600 on the total build as it was. That's about the cost of a Leupold with a Hunter Ed discount. I looked at cheaper, Chinese glass and opted out.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
Leupold has a veteran discount program, FYI.

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 02:54:04 PM »
Great post Goshawk,
I look forward to getting you and Clint out here with those Leupolds to bust up some prairie dogs.
Hope all is well for you and your family.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »
Leupold has a veteran discount program, FYI.
so does Vortex
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 10:53:51 PM »
i have never been happy with any of the Leupold optics.Ive had leakage,cross hair issues,dont hold under shock.newer worse than the older ones.Quality control goes out the window now days.none are made in the U.S.A So all you can do is get what you trust and hope for the best........... :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"

Online JWBINX

• Scout
  • Groups: LIFE NRA, RMEF
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 08:40:29 PM »
Leupold is a  113 year old company in Oregon USA! They employee nearly 700 people. They are a ITAR compliant company.
Their glass does come from vendors in Japan & Asia, But they are 100% assembled in the USA including all machining of everything except for Binos and Rangefinders.
They have been operating the whole time through Covid-19 because of there military contracts.( not something Vortex can say)
They have a test device called the Punisher, Every scope model has to make it 5000 times. The equivalent of a 375 Ack, Imp. recoil
Most scope like Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex and other imports last about 60 times, FACT!! To say they don't hold impact and the quality has gone down hill is total crap. They started the lifetime warranty, and the best warranty is the one you never have to use :tup:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:29:35 PM by JWBINX »

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 12:00:43 AM »
your opinion and your entitled to itr.I disagree with you military contract idea that that makes it superior because it does not.NO MORE THAN CHEVY BEING SUPERIOR TO DODGE WHEN THEY USE CHEVY AND VISA VERSE.Best deal and ability to get therm out on time is number 1.Could you show proof of this 5000 shock test?And please don't waste your time showing something from Leupold to show the 5000 shock test.They have gone down hill just like everything else you buy these days no matter how you slice it they don't make money on products that last forever.Finally yes Vortex is a new kid on the block but boy have they come up fast.One of the top most popular purchased scope or bino's on the market.Nightforce has only been making scopes since 92.
"Boss of the woods"

Online 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 12:14:01 AM »
Leupold is a  113 year old company in Oregon USA! They employee nearly 700 people. They are a ITAR compliant company.
Their glass does come from vendors in Japan & Asia, But they are 100% assembled in the USA including all machining of everything except for Binos and Rangefinders.
They have been operating the whole time through Covid-19 because of there military contracts.( not something Vortex can say)
They have a test device called the Punisher, Every scope model has to make it 5000 times. The equivalent of a 375 Ack, Imp. recoil
Most scope like Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex and other imports last about 60 times, FACT!! To say they don't hold impact and the quality has gone down hill is total crap. They started the lifetime warranty, and the best warranty is the one you never have to use :tup:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/taskandpurpose.com/.amp/military-tech/next-generation-sqaud-weapon-fire-control-system-contract

Vortex is building for the military.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 12:17:09 AM »
Vortex is made mostly in China. Leupold is made in the USA (Oregon.) I have several Leupold scopes and have been using Leupold for over 30 years, and never had an issue. Not saying they're the best, but I do believe they're the best for the money.

Offline lastmk8

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 07:02:20 AM »
I run with both, Leupold on the rifles and Vortex bino's and spotting scope, all HD models on the Vortex things.  Here is a little on the Vortex from Opticsthought.com

The company itself has not been involved in the riflescope business all that long; however, the people behind it have been in the optics business since the mid-1980s.  The company itself is based in Wisconsin, but the riflescopes they market are manufactured overseas: Japan, Phillipines or China, depending on the product line.  At the moment there are four distinct riflescope product lines marketed by Vortex:
•least expensive are Chinese-made Crossfire scopes
•next (significant) step up are Phillipine-made Diamondback riflescopes
•Viper scopes are another step-up in quality (also Phillipine-made)
•at the top of the line-up are the (absolutely world-class) Razor HD riflescopes that are manufactured in Japan.

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2020, 06:01:55 PM »
Great post Goshawk,
I look forward to getting you and Clint out here with those Leupolds to bust up some prairie dogs.
Hope all is well for you and your family.

Sorry I've not been on posting for a bit.  Busy is the word around here these days.
We're doing well, even Blaze is healthy and ready for work!
Stay healthy. Not too many of us old "professional guns" left out there.

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »
i have never been happy with any of the Leupold optics.Ive had leakage,cross hair issues,dont hold under shock.newer worse than the older ones.Quality control goes out the window now days.none are made in the U.S.A So all you can do is get what you trust and hope for the best........... :twocents:

Sorry you've had bad luck.  Now I know someone who's not a fan.
Regarding where they are made; You're wrong.  Besides an argument I've spoken to Leupold directly and outside of glass ground in Japan they do as much here as possible.
This link is a good little story on a Leupold tour.
https://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_tour.htm

Offline Ricochet

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »
I can't say how Leupold compares to others because I only have Leupold but I can tell you a little story.  Back in 1986 I bought a pair of Leupold bino's.  They have been everywhere, in the rain, dust, snow, etc. and until a couple years ago they held up great.  They finally got wore to the point they weren't perfectly aligned anymore, long glassing sessions gave me a headache.  Had a friend drop them off at company HQ for repair, two days later I had a new pair in my mailbox.  That's great customer service in my book.  :tup:
It is not my duty to validate your delusions.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 08:42:37 PM »
All my hunting rifles have Leupold VXs on them.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
Sent my VX6 7-42 back for turret locking up.   Now its starting to get sticky again.  Hmmm want to buy US but...... might try the Mark 5 as one last try before going March or Nightforce NX8.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2020, 05:38:13 PM »
Most of my rifles wear Leupolds, because they have good glass and I appreciate their light weight and classic appearance. I’ve never had one fail or shift it’s zero in my own experience.

However, if I was in the market for a dialing scope like all the cool kids seem to be these days, I’d probably look elsewhere. Aside from an old M8 4x32 I have, none of the Leupold scopes I’ve owned have had really consistent adjustments. Sighting in is a game of trial and error, they usually take a couple shots to settle in.

Again, for my purposes this isn’t much of a concern, once my guns are sighted in, I don’t touch the scopes much. I have a Meopta on my .270 that if I were to move the elevation up 4 clicks and right 2 clicks, my point of impact will shift exactly 1” up and 0.5” to the right at 100 yards the next time I pull the trigger. With a Leupold it’s more of a suggestion.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2020, 06:14:50 PM »
Nightforce and Leupold get my vote. 

Nightforce Optics, Inc. is an American manufacturer of high-end telescopic sights, spotting scopes and mounting accessories, based in Lavonia, Georgia with factory headquarters in Orofino, Idaho.

It appears their lenses are sourced from Japan.....best I can tell. 

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2020, 07:28:07 PM »
When I looked this all up before, it came down to sand.  The very best sand for optics is found in Viet Nam and Europe/Germany.  So of course it seems Schott glass is what most euros use and Japanese glass is what all others use.  The way they get away with saying made in usa is because they are entirely assembled here and only raw lenses come here to be ground and coated by folks like Leupold and a couple others.  Otherwise some of the cheaper scopes just buy the ready to go lenses and roll with it.

When Bushnell bought out Bausch and Laumb that accounted for a significant amount of one source Japanese glass.  Its been a while since I researched all that but I think I still got the gist of it correct.

Only a trained eye can see the difference between good glass and really really good glass.  If you opt to spend less on your scopes, the machining technology used for the adjusting and aligning of lenses and the turret mechanisms is what suffers ( also lense coating process).  On paper, only the very best scopes survive a 30moa tracking test.  All scopes have an inherent + or - that shows up more and more as you dial further.  Nothing man made is perfect, high end scopes come closer than mid range scopes.  They all track great out to 400 yards and fall apart the farther you go, faster or slower depending on quality of scope.

Offline bman940

• Love to hunt and shoot,especially with my son who will be a 2nd LT USAF when he comissions 5/21
  • Tracker
  • pretty much retired, Oregonian for 33 years
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 08:01:12 AM »
I have been using Meopta's Optika6 3-18x50 FFP scope for almost a year now. I have over 500 rounds of 6.5 CM under it and I have taken it to 827 yards with zero issues. The glass, quality control and function are all impressive on this optic. Throw in a price under $750 and you have a real winner.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal