collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Time Turkey Hunter  (Read 2656 times)

Offline DamnDams

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Just another millennial adult onset hunter
  • Groups: BHA, TU, RGS
First Time Turkey Hunter
« on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »
Heading out for my first turkey hunt ever tomorrow afternoon (and my first hunt of any type in over 12 years, as a teenager in TN). I’ll have till probably Friday afternoon this go round. I’m currently just marking spots on OnX that look like they border farmland or fields with springs or creeks nearby. The area I’m most intrigued by is LPO wildlife refuge land just east of Addy and then a couple more spots south and east of Colville. My question is...am I on the right track here? Should I be looking at getting further east into the USFWS land? Should I try to find some spots closer to farmland on the state holdings west of the highway where there is a lot less public land?

I’ll be hunting solo, and trying to figure all this out on my own and so far some spots I’ve marked look pretty good on the map. But just trying to maximize my chance for success by making sure I’m even looking in good zones.

Offline wapiti22

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Hunter
Re: First Time Turkey Hunter
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »
I deer hunt north and east of Colville and always see lots of birds. Should be a good spot.

Offline Yelper Guy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 08:57:10 AM »
You are on the right track, east or west from the LPO refuge are both birdy options.
Try to locate a gobbler, get a good set-up, call sparingly, be patient, don't move = success.
Good luck!

Offline DamnDams

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 04:09:36 PM »
Update on my couple days of hunting...I was out in the Colville area Tuesday afternoon through Thursday morning then had to come home. When I got there I immediately found birds just on the other side of a fence from the timbered NF land and they were gobbling back to my calls but wouldn’t come in. Then after Tues eve the next couple days were silent. I still found birds in the LPO refuge but nothing was gobbling and I couldn’t get anything to come in. I’m heading back out Monday or Tuesday for several more days to try again. What do y’all do when the woods go silent? Do I keep playing the early morning field edge game and just call a little every 20min or so and wait. Do I start mucking around the woods trying to come to them instead of calling for them to come to me? I didn’t have a decoy the first go round but I picked up a hen decoy on my way back home, ironically enough. Next week do I deploy that? Add a Jake to her? Stay decoyless. At a bit of loss for what to do. As a new turkey hunter it’s frustrating to get there with no expectations, then have them skyrocketed by seeing birds, only to be met with total disinterest. I hear it just gets harder with each passing day this time of year 🤣🤣

Offline Yelper Guy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 04:51:02 PM »
Don't give up DD, it took me years to figure it out.
I think setting up on the field edge, with a hen & jake decoy has potential.
Just because they've gone silent doesn't mean they're not around.
Think of hunting a tested ninja, their eyesight and hearing has busted me too many times.
Find a good looking spot, set the dekes and plant yourself for hours - call sparingly, turn your swiveling head slowly, and wait for the sneaky bird(s).
There is/ will be lonesome toms on the prowl.
Good Luck

Offline DamnDams

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 06:30:20 PM »
Don't give up DD, it took me years to figure it out.

YEARS!! 😮😮. It’s my turkey and I want it now!!!

Offline 253shotgunner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GSSF, TSC
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:37:05 PM »
I just got back from NE WA. Turkeys were active on the roost but silent all day long. I just chalked it up to hunting on May 15th and 16th. Beautiful country out there. -253shotgunner
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:42:31 PM by 253shotgunner »
Turkey Geek

Offline highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 08:31:17 PM »
As a lifetime resident of Stevens / Ferry county I wish you all the luck in the world. If you can get 5 or 6 tags please do!

Offline Craig

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 09:19:51 AM »
Was up hunting north of Chewelah. Turkeys were going crazy in the roost. When they hit the ground it was quite. Seen some nice big toms but they had a couple hens with them and was impossible to pull them away. Had a great time and had lots of fun. Turkey tag soup. Will try it again next year. Plus my son can’t sit still for more then 5 minutes. So that could be a problem. Good luck to everyone else.

Offline Hercflyer

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 10:14:09 PM »
Update on my couple days of hunting...I was out in the Colville area Tuesday afternoon through Thursday morning then had to come home. When I got there I immediately found birds just on the other side of a fence from the timbered NF land and they were gobbling back to my calls but wouldn’t come in. Then after Tues eve the next couple days were silent. I still found birds in the LPO refuge but nothing was gobbling and I couldn’t get anything to come in. I’m heading back out Monday or Tuesday for several more days to try again. What do y’all do when the woods go silent? Do I keep playing the early morning field edge game and just call a little every 20min or so and wait. Do I start mucking around the woods trying to come to them instead of calling for them to come to me? I didn’t have a decoy the first go round but I picked up a hen decoy on my way back home, ironically enough. Next week do I deploy that? Add a Jake to her? Stay decoyless. At a bit of loss for what to do. As a new turkey hunter it’s frustrating to get there with no expectations, then have them skyrocketed by seeing birds, only to be met with total disinterest. I hear it just gets harder with each passing day this time of year 🤣🤣

If you can, PM me. I spent a ton of time out there and have some info that will help you. I know spring is different than fall hunting but what I have to share is not season dependent.

Offline DIron

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 08:01:09 PM »
Heading up to Gifford area for the 29th and 30th. Any words of wisdom and/or guidance for a first timer in NE Washington?

Offline HAGEMANIAC

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, NWTF, RMEF, MDF, VFW, USAF
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 09:42:32 PM »

You're in the right area for sure. Just east of Addy is some good NF land also.  Late in the season I'd stick with a hen decoy only, fighting gets less desirable later on. If you don't catch the birds right off the roost the morning will slow down, as they all meet up and are now watering and feeding. Hens will begin to sneak off leaving the toms alone.  9 am is usually when it will start to pick back up pretty good.  Stay patient, it'll happen!
God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]