collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Heated Socks  (Read 2698 times)

Offline elksnout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Heated Socks
« on: November 20, 2020, 09:47:21 PM »
Anyone have any good or bad experiences with these?  Just spent a week in Colorado and had cold toes with 400 gram boots with smart wool socks and liners.

Elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Heated Socks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 10:51:09 PM »
Make sure your boots are at least 1/2 size large

Use antiperspirant on feet to keep dry

Stick a mineral-based  toe warmer pad on top of your sock above toes - they are good for half a day.  Theses are the toe warmers you see in sportsmans everywhere.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »
Stick the foot warmer to the top of the toe box of your boot, it will work better and won't ruin your sock.

400gr boots are great for Octoberish weather type hunting, when temps get just around freezing or so.  You want to go with 1000gr if you are in the teens/low teens (or worse) all day, hunting slowly. 

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 09:10:14 AM »
Yeah we tried using those feet warmers. There were three of us and those didn't work much at all. We even tried using two for each foot. One under and one over the foot. No go. 13 degrees in snow is cold especially when you're glassing all day.

Elksnout

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 10:39:39 AM »
Yeah we tried using those feet warmers. There were three of us and those didn't work much at all. We even tried using two for each foot. One under and one over the foot. No go. 13 degrees in snow is cold especially when you're glassing all day.

Elksnout
Weird.   Were they old?  You should feel heat when you put them on.  Two per boot should of roasted you.

In Iowa tree stands we slip these on.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 10:44:24 AM »
I have no experience with heated socks.

But I did use the toe warmers during elk season and could definitely feel the warmth.  The coldest day sitting with snow on the ground, I used one top & one botton as mentioned  :tup:

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 05:50:49 PM »
The warmers were purchased just before our trip. The hand warmer packets were awesome!!!  Put those in your pockets and that was so nice. He'll, I even put them in my gloves.

I was looking at those socks rather than spending several hundred bucks on new boots with more insulation. 400 grams have always been enough for me here in Washington. But that might be the wiser option.

Thanks guys
Elksnout

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »
I have a couple pairs of battery heated socks thst I wear late season duck hunting. They work pretty well. Batteries usually last 4 hours or so

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 09:03:41 AM »
Those toe warmers saved my bacon in Montana this year. I screwed up and didn’t bring my insulated boots as the weather forecast was for temps in the 20s. Well things changed and I was dealing with negative temps a couple of days. Fortunately I had the toe warmers which kept me in the game. I opened them about an hour before I put on
my boots to let them really activate and heat up. Not sure if that is necessary or not. I also put them under my toes attached to the insole. Ill have to try them on top like some of you suggest.  Sorry no experience with powered socks. I’d consider giving those toe warmers another try.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »
Those toe warmers saved my bacon in Montana this year. I screwed up and didn’t bring my insulated boots as the weather forecast was for temps in the 20s. Well things changed and I was dealing with negative temps a couple of days. Fortunately I had the toe warmers which kept me in the game. I opened them about an hour before I put on
my boots to let them really activate and heat up. Not sure if that is necessary or not. I also put them under my toes attached to the insole. Ill have to try them on top like some of you suggest.  Sorry no experience with powered socks. I’d consider giving those toe warmers another try.

We would let them "activate" for 10-15 minutes before putting boots on. Maybe we should have doubled that time beings it was so cold. Did I mention that is was Ccccoollddd?   :chuckle:

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »
Last weekend of general rifle elk I was up with two other guys. Blowing winds and light to moderate snow, temps in the teens. One was trying out heated socks and absolutely loved them. Was planning on going home and buying a few more. One was trying the foot warmer packets and had cold feet all day until we got back to camp and got the fire going. I don't get cold feet but id go with the heated socks if I did.

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 11:14:26 PM »
If neither of those work, Hoffman pacs.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab