collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: RMEF governor tag auctions  (Read 13892 times)

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: RMEF governor tag auctions
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
Yeah go ahead and say it’s for the benefit of the wildlife...doing a heck of a lot of good in Washington I’m tellin ya.
I agree.  It is a complete farce to suggest the revenue from this auction tag has any meaningful benefit to wildlife or their habitat.  While the money I'm sure is used correctly, its nothing more than a feel good measure to convince the masses to be at least marginally accepting of the auctioning of their wildlife.

State's love them because what bureaucrat doesn't love another revenue stream.  Hunters who can buy them love it because they can buy a great opportunity.  Non-profits who collect a fee like them for the revenue and publicity.  None of these things is inherently bad, but I have strong reservations about the ongoing use and acceptance of auction tags.  In order to bring in big money, these tags require a reduction in the average hunters opportunity...too far of a deviation from the NAMWC for my liking.

That said - one caveat: Species like bighorn sheep, which have very low tag numbers across the board and thus bring in very limited revenue, I'm supportive of auctions to support those species management - they are an important species and auction revenue seems more appropriate given they could not sustain management efforts on the few license dollars they generate on their own.

And one point to clearly emphasize: I fully support and have no animosity whatsoever towards those who participate in these auctions and hunts.  It's the state authorizing the selling that has my disdain...especially when these bureaucrats, with a strait face, can tout how important the 5 figure sum they received is for wildlife/habitat...while at the same time signing nearly 7 figure checks for wolf facilitators.  :bash:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »
We don't agree on much, but I completely agree with Idahohuntr's take on this topic.   :tup:

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
If I had that kind of money I would hire a local guide or two, and get a hold of, Make a wish foundation. Some child with little time left would have the hunt of a lifetime!  How good would that feel. Maybe these rich guys do, I’m not knocking them, just saying what would bring me more joy.

Wrong. This has been tried before twice, and I headed both attempts. WDFW wanted absolutely nothing to do with donating the tag to one terminally ill girl or young man fighting cancer.
cant the winner, tag holder, give the tag to who they want?
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-412-040

12. Hunting licenses or transport tags obtained pursuant to a raffle may not be resold or reassigned.

I've always thought the case was that if the raffle winner was not able to hunt or didn't want the tag, it would go to the #2 person. I assume this would have to happen prior to the tag being actually issued, hence it wouldn't actually be a transfer.
That is correct.  Last year the winning bidder backed out right after they banged the gavel closing the auction and it fell to the second highest bidder.  I believe they have a period of time that they can decline and it just goes to the next bidder if they want it.

That scenario allowed the auction to be manipulated upwards. Keep bidding it up with maybe even some accomplices and then cancel sticking the guy that followed your bids up. Stinks but whats new in the world of game auctions for the wealthy only.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
If I had that kind of money I would hire a local guide or two, and get a hold of, Make a wish foundation. Some child with little time left would have the hunt of a lifetime!  How good would that feel. Maybe these rich guys do, I’m not knocking them, just saying what would bring me more joy.

Wrong. This has been tried before twice, and I headed both attempts. WDFW wanted absolutely nothing to do with donating the tag to one terminally ill girl or young man fighting cancer.
cant the winner, tag holder, give the tag to who they want?
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-412-040

12. Hunting licenses or transport tags obtained pursuant to a raffle may not be resold or reassigned.

I've always thought the case was that if the raffle winner was not able to hunt or didn't want the tag, it would go to the #2 person. I assume this would have to happen prior to the tag being actually issued, hence it wouldn't actually be a transfer.
That is correct.  Last year the winning bidder backed out right after they banged the gavel closing the auction and it fell to the second highest bidder.  I believe they have a period of time that they can decline and it just goes to the next bidder if they want it.

That scenario allowed the auction to be manipulated upwards. Keep bidding it up with maybe even some accomplices and then cancel sticking the guy that followed your bids up. Stinks but whats new in the world of game auctions for the wealthy only.
That was my thought exactly. Two guys working together could knock a third guy out of the running.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Proud Daddy & Disabled Veteran
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »
Yeah go ahead and say it’s for the benefit of the wildlife...doing a heck of a lot of good in Washington I’m tellin ya.
I agree.  It is a complete farce to suggest the revenue from this auction tag has any meaningful benefit to wildlife or their habitat.  While the money I'm sure is used correctly, its nothing more than a feel good measure to convince the masses to be at least marginally accepting of the auctioning of their wildlife.

State's love them because what bureaucrat doesn't love another revenue stream.  Hunters who can buy them love it because they can buy a great opportunity.  Non-profits who collect a fee like them for the revenue and publicity.  None of these things is inherently bad, but I have strong reservations about the ongoing use and acceptance of auction tags.  In order to bring in big money, these tags require a reduction in the average hunters opportunity...too far of a deviation from the NAMWC for my liking.

That said - one caveat: Species like bighorn sheep, which have very low tag numbers across the board and thus bring in very limited revenue, I'm supportive of auctions to support those species management - they are an important species and auction revenue seems more appropriate given they could not sustain management efforts on the few license dollars they generate on their own.

And one point to clearly emphasize: I fully support and have no animosity whatsoever towards those who participate in these auctions and hunts.  It's the state authorizing the selling that has my disdain...especially when these bureaucrats, with a strait face, can tout how important the 5 figure sum they received is for wildlife/habitat...while at the same time signing nearly 7 figure checks for wolf facilitators.  :bash:

The highest bidder is guaranteed the auction tag I get that but think how many raffle tickets that could buy for multiple species. Yes, you're not guaranteed to win but $60K for a single bull elk when that same amount could get you a bull elk, buck, bull moose. I don't ever look at the raffles to see what is available I just know there are several categories to choose from. I'm a person who wants a bang for their buck (no pun intended and I archery hunt).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:20:00 AM by Rainier10 »
God Bless,
Scott

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2020, 10:25:19 AM »

The highest bidder is guaranteed the auction tag I get that but think how many raffle tickets that could buy for multiple species. Yes, you're not guaranteed to win but $60K for a single bull elk when that same amount could get you a bull elk, buck, bull moose. I don't ever look at the raffles to see what is available I just know there are several categories to choose from. I'm a person who wants a bang for their buck (no pun intended and I archery hunt).
The raffles aren't a sure thing.  Two years ago I spent a significant amount on the raffles.  The highest ticket I got was 10th place.  Tickets 2-9 were held by someone who spent 10-15 times the money compared to me but across multiple raffles.  They won some but not all and didn't win the eastern elk.  Someone that bought 4 tickets won.

At least with the auction you either win and are out the cash or lose and have the cash in your pocket.  With the raffle the money is gone win or lose, it's a gamble plain and simple.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:24:06 AM by Rainier10 »

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2020, 08:11:17 AM »
Wow 84 grand for the eastern washington tag. That's gotta be some kind of record. Wonder what bull that guy is after.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2020, 08:20:25 AM »
 :yeah: I’m also guessing a new record, someone has a pic of it out there!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2020, 08:30:41 AM »
Moose tag went for $50,000 this year which is a record also I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2020, 08:32:01 AM »
Stimulus money.

Raffles are going to be record high as well.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »

Putting that extra $600 per week to good use. Saving money on commuting to work, lunches every day, you are set  for a great tag!  :chuckle:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2020, 08:36:35 AM »

That’s awesome, how fun would that be!!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87