collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What Muzzleloader and bullet combo do you recommend for Washington?  (Read 7154 times)

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: What Muzzleloader and bullet combo do you recommend for Washington?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 05:40:40 AM »
Washington is rainy and failures to fire are common. Get the Remington. You won’t regret it. With anything else, you might.

:yeah:
Buy Once. 

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
We had really good results with Barnes bullets this fall on two bulls. Recovered both bullets with perfect expansion. 290 gr behind 110gr of pyrodex. Both bulls stood in there place before tipping over with lung shots.

Knight bighorn. Zero problems so far but only had the gun one year. I plan to get a second. Or a mountaineer.

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 08:46:28 PM »
This is one of those questions that will get multiple answers.  Ill start with the bullets.  I have now shot 2 bulls with my muzzleloader.  The first was with a 300grn Hornady sst, the bull tried to take a step and fell right over.  The second was with the Branes 290grn EZ.  The bull took a couple of steps turned around and fell over. My buddy used the Hornady on his bull and it fell right over.  If you plan to hunt elk I suggest using 300grn or very close to that.  Also those bullets were all pushed by 110grns of lose triple 7 powder 2f. 

As for a muzz the sky is the limit pick something you like.  My two buddies both have the Accura v2's.  One is using musket caps and the other is using the 209 primers.  I witnessed my buddy using the 209 primers have a hang fire and a not fire.  And there is something in cleaning the firing pin on those so they don't get gummed up and corroded.   I personally use a knight.  Both of the bulls I shot were with a bighorn using #11 percussion caps.  I also have a Disc extreme but hadn't had it long enough to use it last year yet.  Yes I still use the open to the elements style and no I have not had any problems with the gun firing. I personally do not see the benefits to using a 209 primer.  There are lots of different muzzleloaders out there, pick one you like and learn all you can about it.  I lean towards a knight as I have 2.

Good Luck
Buck

Offline gotshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 06:17:00 PM »
I have a T/C black diamond xr and use #11 caps and have never had a problem. Bad part is they don't offer them anymore.
IBEW 76 JW

Offline callturner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 10:49:55 PM »
I shoot a CVA Accura V2 with 77 weighed gr of Blackhorn 209, pushing a 300 gr Speer Deep Curl in a Harvester black crushrib sabot.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 11:14:08 PM »
pretty hard to beat a Barnes 290gr

Offline deadwoodbuck

• Scout
  • predator outsmarting prey
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 12:58:22 PM »
Knight bighorn .54 cal...because it was on sale...pyrodex powder Barnes sabot 290 grain with the biggest percussion cap that you can find
"How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?"

"Winners take responsibility...Losers blame others"

Offline Chukarhead

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 02:40:06 PM »
Knight Bighorn or UL/Barnes 290-EZ/Triple7 have accounted for a lot of dead deer and elk for my group since WA started allowing non-lead bullets.

I'm genuinely mystified as to why anyone would choose to hunt with Powerbelts now that honest-to-goodness bullets are available and legal, saboted or not, either non-tox (Barnes, Lehigh), or lead (Hornady, Speer, etc.).  Powerbelts are easy to load...that's their only (minor) advantage.

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »
Since inlines became legal, I've had nothing but good luck with my cheapo T/C Impact with 100 gr. of Hogdon Pyrodex pellets and a 250 grain T/C Shockwave sabot. It's super consistent, quick to load, and easy to clean. 

Offline IFunk

• Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, TBOW
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »
I have a Knight Bighorn and use 100 Grains of Triple 7 powder and Knight Redhot 250's manufactured by Barnes.  They are all copper and while I haven't smacked a deer with one yet, I think they would do an excellent job.  After switching over to the Williams FP Sight, i was able to get a great grouping earlier this summer. 

75 yards.  There was very little wind and it was around 100 degrees on that warm Oregon morning.  First shot on the outside is from a cold clean barrel.  The next grouping was 5 or 6 shots.  Either the rifle really likes the ammo or rainbows and unicorns were smiling down on me that day.  And some folks say muzzleloaders aren't accurate.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 06:01:58 PM »
Fellow hunters,

I have wanted to buy one for years and have heard good things about CVA, Remington, TC etc.  Never shot one, but it's time to get one what do you recommend and why?  If your willing to have a phone discussion PM me.  Thanks.

Just so you know... later this month Knight is going to have a sale going on their Knight DISC Extremes - they are suppose to be down in the $300's I would guess somewhere around $350.

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product-category/muzzleloaders/disc-extreme-muzzleloader/

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »
Both daughters have knights 1 is a wolverine the other is a bighorn both use 90grains of T7 and 250 grain hornady sst work great on muleys another guy in camp used powerbelts not impressed with performance both shots needed on his deer completely flattened out and poor penetration
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal