collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Target shooting on wdfw lands rule changes  (Read 3569 times)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Target shooting on wdfw lands rule changes
« on: May 26, 2020, 05:11:52 AM »
Just wanting to bring this to everyone’s attention

https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/wdfw-lands/recreation-planning/rule-development/target-shooting#

During the summer of 2017, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) formed a target shooting advisory group to help determine rules for target shooting on the Wenas Wildlife Area in Kittitas and Yakima counties. Members of the advisory group included representatives from a number of interested parties.

As the group developed a localized strategy for the Wenas Wildlife Area, it was clear that the department needed a comprehensive, statewide target shooting rule for all WDFW owned and managed lands. Members of the advisory group provided feedback encouraging the department to develop a draft rule that could go into effect for all WDFW lands.

The proposed target shooting rule update is available for review below.

The department will accept comments for the proposed update until June 10, 2020. Members of the public can submit comments by completing the Target Shooting Rule Survey.

There will be further opportunity to provide comment during the June meeting of the Fish and Wildlife Commission.

The department anticipates enactment of an updated target shooting rule in January 2021.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Target shooting on wdfw lands rule changes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 06:05:52 AM »
Didnt see much to worry about being wdfw land.   Not supposed to shoot at rocks.  Which generally is a good rule at shooting areas , so at long range need to start shooting a foot to right of the rock and make sure no creek between you and target. 

Edit: on further thought not legal to shoot unless you have placed a commercial target out there.  Hmmm

Offline 700xcr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:11:05 AM »
If you want to target practice join a actual  shooting facility! I am a Safety Advisor at our local range. Half of the people don't care what type of ammo they shoot. They buy the cheapest ammo (steel core) and shoot steel targets and rocks. Then have fires. My actual 2 cents worth.
Nothing like a Remington model 700xcr.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:17:45 AM »
If you want to target practice join a actual  shooting facility! I am a Safety Advisor at our local range. Half of the people don't care what type of ammo they shoot. They buy the cheapest ammo (steel core) and shoot steel targets and rocks. Then have fires. My actual 2 cents worth.

Agreed!  But the State recognizes shooting as a popular use of public lands. Most of us aren’t near a public facility that accommodates 1000 yard shooting, much less 1700 yards. 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »

Agreed!  But the State recognizes shooting as a popular use of public lands. Most of us aren’t near a public facility that accommodates 1000 yard shooting, much less 1700 yards. 
also the guys shooting long range on public lands don’t shoot cheap steel core crap. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:24:00 AM »
Just be careful who you trust!  There are department employee's who would like nothing more then to close down established ranges on department lands.

pssssst, its called "lead contamination" brought to you by the "Bio-diversity Groups" and your local anti's!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 10:58:00 AM »
Just be careful who you trust!  There are department employee's who would like nothing more then to close down established ranges on department lands.

pssssst, its called "lead contamination" brought to you by the "Bio-diversity Groups" and your local anti's!

Yep, done in California, just a matter of time.  Time to start testing Hammer Bullets I guess......

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:31:12 PM »

Not everyone has a range near them and some of them only allow so many members or have lame requirements like you must join a certain political organization.

Offline 700xcr

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
So who is going to manage these public ranges, the State Game Department  going to have RO's to make sure everyone is safe and shooting correct ammo? You know you will have that one more with an AR or AK shooting cheap steel core ammo.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
There's no 1500 yard public range in my area , And I don't shoot cheap ammo
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline 700xcr

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 03:56:39 PM »
Granted people you longer range guys reload your ammo! I don't see a problem with it.  You will still get the bad apples that ruins it for the real shooter that cares. Just saying all it takes is one bad apple that buys cheap ammo (steel core) shooting that rock across the way and ignite a spark and then have a fire. Then the area will be closed off. Then it puts us honest Shooters in the same category of the one starting the fires. We the good shooters take a bad check mark. Just saying. Designated ranges has rules but they still don't follow the rules that's why you got to watch him like a hawk.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 04:01:40 PM »

I’m not willing to do that.

There aren’t any that have useful distances
There are caliber restrictions
There are restrictions on muzzle devices
Forced to join NRA
Overzealous RO’s who don’t know much about firearms.
Fart dust oldtimers that treat new members like S.

And that’s just a start.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 04:03:50 PM »
Granted people you longer range guys reload your ammo! I don't see a problem with it.  You will still get the bad apples that ruins it for the real shooter that cares. Just saying all it takes is one bad apple that buys cheap ammo (steel core) shooting that rock across the way and ignite a spark and then have a fire. Then the area will be closed off. Then it puts us honest Shooters in the same category of the one starting the fires. We the good shooters take a bad check mark. Just saying. Designated ranges has rules but they still don't follow the rules that's why you got to watch him like a hawk.

I’ll bet more fires are started by glass and garbage by the side of the road than steel core ammunition.

Also smokers. Can you smoke on State land?

Offline 762Armo

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 04:09:24 PM »

I think it's important to note the difference between "steel cased" ammo and "steel core." Most people don't shoot "steel core" ammo. Vast "cheap" made ammo is "lead core, steel case"

And people shouldn't be forced to join an "actual shooting facility" to enjoy shooting on public land.

Offline 700xcr

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 04:21:54 PM »
I am not going to argue with you! But I don't want to hear you whine and cry when someone starts a fire and the area is closed off.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal