collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: MA 10 Coho  (Read 9602 times)

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: MA 10 Coho
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2020, 10:22:04 PM »
You guys know it's mostly resident coho your chasing and the good fishing isn't for a couple months.

And some of you run some really light set ups. One little fray or knick in the line and done..

My mainline is usually 30lb and my leaders are 30-40.  Heavy leader helps transfer movement to the lure from the flasher. Ive never had an issue with fish being line shy.  :twocents:

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2020, 10:23:56 PM »
Like pinks...my thought is to to run koke gear....10 lb line...40lb leaders....hook up and fight on.

Yes sir, now we’re talking!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2020, 10:27:52 PM »
In my early years...think 20 ago....15 lb carp on 8lb test, ultralight gear was fun. Resident coho on light gear.....same gig.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2020, 10:28:12 PM »
We use to run coho flies on he surface with 10 lb test leaders and medium action Steelheaf rods for fun. You could see the coho chasing the flies, and a big splash when they hit.
 :tup:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2020, 10:32:44 PM »
We use to run coho flies on he surface with 10 lb test leaders and medium action Steelheaf rods for fun. You could see the coho chasing the flies, and a big splash when they hit.

Sounds super fun, what was your set back?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2020, 10:36:11 PM »

Caught a bunch of fish at Sekiu when I was younger fishing this way, was an absolute blast especially on foggy mornings. We got cocky one year and fished with a medium weight fly rod without much backing.... of course that's when the biggest king I've ever hooked hit that and spooled me in about 8 seconds. Quite the rush and I'll never forget that!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2020, 11:09:56 PM »

Sounds super fun, what was your set back?

Well not sure if it really counts as "setback", We would stagger between 50 and 70 pulls, until we got a hit.  :chuckle:

Caught a bunch of fish at Sekiu when I was younger fishing this way, was an absolute blast especially on foggy mornings. We got cocky one year and fished with a medium weight fly rod without much backing.... of course that's when the biggest king I've ever hooked hit that and spooled me in about 8 seconds. Quite the rush and I'll never forget that!

This was also out of Sekiu. We usually went up for a week during King Season, then again late for Silvers.
On one trip, I got a 19 lb Silver and a 25 lb King on the same day running Coho flies.
We had been there for four days already and had been doing great on kings, and a couple Coho. August 17, was my Mom's Birthday, and she was sick as a dog back in the cabin at Olsen's Resort. My Dad, my Sister and I, ran over the Bell Boy. The Coho hit just after sun up. It was a jumping fool! Everytime it leaped my Dad would yell "Tip up" as it skipped a crossed the water, we had a few boats watching it play out. It took about 40 minutes to get the Coho in the boat, and it was sketchy whether I would bring it in at all.

The King was just before our run in for lunch. We were heading back towards the docks, about half way between the Boy and Olsen's breakwater when it hit the fly. It made a couple good runs then came straight in kind of lazy. My dad netted him before he realized he was hooked I think. We were shocked that it was a King and how big it was. Sure did not fight like a 25 lb King.
 :chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2020, 09:05:53 AM »
We would just put it right at the back end of the prop wash....40-50'behind the boat. Pretty cool to watch the silvers chase the flies when you can see their fins popping out of the water.

I've got no idea how big that king was, but he was big. We caught a 19-20 lb silver as well doing that, quite the rodeo. We'd normally go mid to late September just for silvers. Would play football Friday night, dad would have to boat all hooked up ready to roll, catch the last ferry over, drive all night and launch the boat! Good times.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2020, 09:17:04 AM »
You guys know it's mostly resident coho your chasing and the good fishing isn't for a couple months.

And some of you run some really light set ups. One little fray or knick in the line and done..

My mainline is usually 30lb and my leaders are 30-40.  Heavy leader helps transfer movement to the lure from the flasher. Ive never had an issue with fish being line shy.  :twocents:

Yes, and that’s why we setup at least 1 rod with light weight gear, it’s simple fun! IMO, the likely hood of catching anything over 9lb is extremely low.

We fished coho last season pretty hard, caught many fish, I can’t remember loosing a fish from broken lines or gear. We did loose many fish at the boat, after I got some good info on here, I changed the way I fight the fish at the boat, after that, I can’t remember loosing a fish. Again, thanks guys for that info!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2020, 09:30:06 AM »

Yes, and that’s why we setup at least 1 rod with light weight gear, it’s simple fun! IMO, the likely hood of catching anything over 9lb is extremely low.

We fished coho last season pretty hard, caught many fish, I can’t remember loosing a fish from broken lines or gear. We did loose many fish at the boat, after I got some good info on here, I changed the way I fight the fish at the boat, after that, I can’t remember loosing a fish. Again, thanks guys for that info!

Oh I hear ya..I like light weight gear fun from time to time. I just have most all of my gear set to run from the sound to the ocean. Just wanted to pass along some info. Keep at it guys...

Btw my best success for resident coho this time of year has been running gear  down to 250'. They feed on shrimp this time of year.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »

Oh I hear ya..I like light weight gear fun from time to time. I just have most all of my gear set to run from the sound to the ocean. Just wanted to pass along some info. Keep at it guys...

Btw my best success for resident coho this time of year has been running gear  down to 250'. They feed on shrimp this time of year.

I hear you also, it does take time to set up rods etc. We always have at least 3-4 people on the boat, we’ve been running the okuma mooching rods with penn fathom 2 reels with 30lbs test as our main salmon rods. If we’re fishing derbies or chinook the light gear stays home.

That’s interesting, I did see a few schools of fish around the oil docks that were around that depth. I thought those would be blackmouth and didn’t even target them. Do you mind me asking what you’re using?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2020, 12:23:30 PM »

I hear you also, it does take time to set up rods etc. We always have at least 3-4 people on the boat, we’ve been running the okuma mooching rods with penn fathom 2 reels with 30lbs test as our main salmon rods. If we’re fishing derbies or chinook the light gear stays home.

That’s interesting, I did see a few schools of fish around the oil docks that were around that depth. I thought those would be blackmouth and didn’t even target them. Do you mind me asking what you’re using?

Standard tackle.  Coho Killers and hoochies. Have had good luck with the ace hi fly as well, uv or glow most any color pattern. Short leader's on small flashers or naked spoons. Sometimes the resident coho get flasher shy.

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2020, 10:17:46 AM »
My friend is out with his Dad this morning and has 2 in the boat  :tup:
elkaholic

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2020, 10:20:25 AM »
I scratched the bubble itch this morning, lotza boats and I saw one fish caught.  Next trip will be MA10 for sure.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2020, 10:41:31 AM »
My friend is out with his Dad this morning and has 2 in the boat  :tup:

Thanks for the update!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1