collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bunnies galore  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Jolten

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Bunnies galore
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:07:42 PM »
So someone in my area released a bunch of 4h rabbits. They've bred themselves to the point that at least 2/week are ran over (buglebuster can attest to the amount of rabbits) and there's several cars slamming on their brakes to avoid hitting them. I've reached out to wdfw to inquire if it's legal to hunt them with a pellet gun. As I'm within city limits or if I need to trap and relocate them.

If I'm required to trap them and relocate did anyone want one as an edible pet? Preferably within the Yakima area.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Bunnies galore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 06:45:01 AM »
What makes you think they’re 4-h rabbits?
They’re unclassified wildlife. Please kill them.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:09 AM »
Not protected, but I would contact the city to see what methods are legal to employ within the city limits, you don't want to be pasted on the front page of the newspaper portrayed as a crazy rabbit killer!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:54:03 AM »
Joe Exotic plastered pics of Carole Baskins people killing rabbits everywhere!  :sry:
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 11:53:32 AM »

Long earred short haired, roughly 5-6 pounds. They started out not afraid of people and walked right up to you or in your house. Always wanted to be scratched.

Wdfw advised they are considered unclassified but to reach out to local authorities on removing. And if trapped your not allowed to release them elsewhere.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 12:02:06 PM »

Long earred short haired, roughly 5-6 pounds. They started out not afraid of people and walked right up to you or in your house. Always wanted to be scratched.

Wdfw advised they are considered unclassified but to reach out to local authorities on removing. And if trapped your not allowed to release them elsewhere.

So they're domestic feral rabbits. Someone probably dumped them and they bred, well... like bunnies. Rabbits will breed whenever and can produce a litter almost every 30 days year round.
When you said they were 4-H rabbits, I thought you knew that a 4-H kid dumped them or something. Likely not a 4-H'er. Probably someone bought some pet rabbits and decided they didn't want them.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »
 :yeah: the amount of people trying to raise chickens, goats, rabbits, etc right now to be more rona self sufficient is staggering. Lots didnt realize animals are work I think and are trying to get out of them. 4-H kids work hard to raise their animals and likely wouldnt just kick em out. Them west valley 4-H'ers though......shady bunch :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 12:12:47 PM »
should be able to pick up more layers pretty easy soon! trying to round out my own self sufficient food stuff. Garden is nice this year, its amazing the difference a year makes. I've got 2 pastures cleaned up nicely and just need to fence off the 3 new trees in my front pasture and string hot wire for goats and steers.
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 01:44:45 PM »

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
They're all about this size. Not sure of breed, I've only ever heard them called 4h rabbits.

@Karl I hear the west valley ones are from a coke driver

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 02:42:00 PM »
10-4

Most 4-H kids I know would never dump their rabbits...Most of them would eat them before they dump them.  More than likely the ones you're seeing are mutt rabbits because they've bred with the first rabbit they see that has a heartbeat and is of the opposite sex.
They should be killed/culled. They're disease spreaders and they'll continue to mass produce left and right and you'll have a bazillion of them in no time. They'd probably be good eating, but not as good as the rabbits that the 4-h kids are raising.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »
Sounds like what happened in Woodland park late 60's, early 70's. Rabbits of every kind, color, every where. Alot of them weren't shy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 04:25:02 PM »
Sounds like what happened in Woodland park late 60's, early 70's. Rabbits of every kind, color, every where. Alot of them weren't shy.

It happens all over the place. Last spring/early summer a virus went through a lot of the San Juans and Whidbey Island killing lots of the ferals. It killed a few of the owned rabbits out there as well. Cancelled some shows and 4-H events because of it. Same thing happened up on Vancouver Island 2 years ago. It's now happening down in the southwest part of the country but this time it's affecting the wild cottontails and jackrabbits too. That's going to be bad long term.  The strain we had here was manageable because it wasn't affecting the wild cottontails. WSDA put a quarantine on the islands and it worked, at least for now. They were actually checking on the ferry docks to make sure no domestic rabbits were coming or leaving the San Juans or Whidbey. I heard it killed all the feral domestic(European) rabbits at Fort Casey.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 06:33:23 PM »
The title sounded like the name of a character in a James Bond flick so I had to check it out. :chuckle: Then I remembered it wasn't Bunny.  :sry:

Offline MeatMissile

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 02:16:12 AM »
Coyote bait!  Trap and take a drive to the country.  Should keep the focus off you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]