collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WY draw odds  (Read 1560 times)

Offline asl20bball

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
WY draw odds
« on: May 28, 2020, 01:18:24 PM »
I've now been on hold for 75 mins with WYFG so I'd figure Id ask here...  :bash:

I am curious as to how the odds go for 2nd and 3rd choices... Do I have the same chance of drawing my choice #2 as if I did NOT elect a choice #1?  (in other words if I put my choice #2 as my ONLY election and did not put in a choice #1 knowing I probably won't draw choice #1).

Thanks for the help guys...
Take up your bow, a quiver full of arrows, head out to the country and hunt some wild game.  GEN 27:3

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: WY draw odds
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »
No, because you cannot draw a second or third choice if that license had more first choice applicants than licenses available. In other words, they look at everyone's first choices before they go to the second choice.

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 02:52:12 PM »
The draw works this way (going to use super simple numbers). There are 10 tags available for non-residents in the regular draw and 2 tags for the random. There are 20 guys who put in for the tag on a first choice ranging from 10 points to 0 points with 2 guys in each point ring. The tags will have been given out with all of the guys between 0-5 points not drawing. There are now 2 tags available for the remaining 10 guys who will literally be randomly selected.

Simplified, the guys with 6-10 points all drew and the guys with 0-5 points did not, but they each had a 1/5 chance of drawing the random tags. No one with a second or 3rd choice would draw this unit.

Now lets go to a unit where there are 100 tags and 20 non-residents who put in first choice. All draw. No randoms given out. 75 guys put in for 2nd choice. They draw and keep their points (assuming they did not draw their first choice) since you don't lose points for the 2nd choice. Now there are 10 guys who put in as a 3rd choice and 5/10 will draw, keeping their points.

Voila.
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »
So in order to get drawn for a second choice option you would have put in for an area that has 100% draw odds?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 11:25:24 AM »
So in order to get drawn for a second choice option you would have put in for an area that has 100% draw odds?

Yes, all the first choice apps get filled and then they move to second choice if tags are left.

Offline Bwana Bob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 11:34:29 AM »
If you want to draw only a second or third choice tag just put in for an area you know you can't draw with the amount of points you have as a first choice. You must have a first choice or you will get rejected in the whole draw.
Second or third choices do not burn your points if you should draw them. Hope this helps

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »
If you want to draw only a second or third choice tag just put in for an area you know you can't draw with the amount of points you have as a first choice. You must have a first choice or you will get rejected in the whole draw.
Second or third choices do not burn your points if you should draw them. Hope this helps
Make sure it would be an area you’d like to hunt in the off chance you draw 1st choice in the random pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »
Make sure it would be an area you’d like to hunt in the off chance you draw 1st choice in the random pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just did that for antelope. The unit I plan to hunt this year is 50/50 as a second choice. I didn't want to burn points on it so I picked the hardest unit in the state to draw as the 1st choice: no chance in the preference points draw, 1 in 380 odds in the random draw.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr