collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Halibut fishing Area 7  (Read 2103 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Halibut fishing Area 7
« on: May 29, 2020, 02:30:02 PM »
The Charters in Anacortes have been doing well on them. I'm interested in heading out to Hein Bank Monday after shrimping that ends about noon. Anyone heading out there that has a flotilla I can join?

Also, would shrimp pellets work for a chum bag?

Offline hiway_99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scout
    • https://m.facebook.com/100088313187853/
Re: Halibut fishing Area 7
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »
I will be out sat and Monday this week.   Nit sure exactly were im going yet..  I dont see why shrimp pellets wouldn't work.  I use what ever cheep stinky fish I can get my hands on for chum.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
Chum bags are not needed for anchoring. The Canadian charters I've fished on rely on the sound of the lead weights banging on the bottom as the boat rides in the waves. I have been told this will lure fish from a half mile in any direction around the boat. The only scent is the bait on the hook. They've never failed to limit the boat.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 07:49:18 PM »
Chum bags are not needed for anchoring. The Canadian charters I've fished on rely on the sound of the lead weights banging on the bottom as the boat rides in the waves. I have been told this will lure fish from a half mile in any direction around the boat. The only scent is the bait on the hook. They've never failed to limit the boat.

Interesting, responding that way seems to be a self-limiting trait.  :yike:   :chuckle:

Looks like wind is supposed to be bad, we'll see what happens....

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »

Interesting, responding that way seems to be a self-limiting trait.  :yike:   :chuckle:

Those Captains made a believer out of me. They claim the scent lures in dogfish which the halibut don't like to share space with. I have formerly had success using chum on my downriggers while anchoring but we were also banging the dr weights on the bottom so I can't say the chum itself is what was effective. Another thing to consider is if you put a chum bag on your anchor, with wind, waves and changing tidal currents you very well may be luring fish right past your gear and defeating the purpose all together. Better to bring them right to your waiting baits!
Have fun and good luck if you make it out! Anchor safe!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:37:15 PM by Mfowl »
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 09:09:06 PM »
I have been told more than once that thumping the weight on the bottom is effective, that is how we fished with the guide we used for many years out of Neah Bay. Small lift off the bottom and THUMP small lift and THUMP, not only does it give your lure/bait a little action it creates the homing beacon for the Halibut! I have caught Halibut mid water trolling in Alaska but usually it is best to be on the bottom. Just my  :two cents:

Good luck guys!
IAFF #3728

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 10:37:46 PM »

Those Captains made a believer out of me. They claim the scent lures in dogfish which the halibut don't like to share space with. I have formerly had success using chum on my downriggers while anchoring but we were also banging the dr weights on the bottom so I can't say the chum itself is what was effective. Another thing to consider is if you put a chum bag on your anchor, with wind, waves and changing tidal currents you very well may be luring fish right past your gear and defeating the purpose all together. Better to bring them right to your waiting baits!

Were you fishing with bait on the downriggers? I was figuring on using a downrigger to drop my bait bag so it would be closer to my baited hooks.

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 10:58:26 PM »

Were you fishing with bait on the downriggers? I was figuring on using a downrigger to drop my bait bag so it would be closer to my baited hooks.

Yes, I attach a halibut clip to the chum bag then clip that on the rubber snubber above my DR weight. I then clip my line/bait in to the dr clip (just like salmon) and send the whole package down. I like my bait to be 10-15' back from my dr weight/chum bag. I don't actually use any weight on my rod/reel. Only the dr weight. I send the dr down to the bottom, once it hits, bring it up a few feet (depending on wave action) and let it thump up and down. You can also run additional rods out the back with standard gear/weights. You just need to let enough line out that they are contacting the bottom consistently. The ebb fishes better than the flood.

*I also like to fillet my horse herring. Fillet goes on the hook with some magic thread, carcasses in the chum bag. I run the big Pline hoochies in white as well with my bait.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 11:05:47 PM »

Yes, I attach a halibut clip to the chum bag then clip that on the rubber snubber above my DR weight. I then clip my line/bait in to the dr clip (just like salmon) and send the whole package down. I like my bait to be 10-15' back from my dr weight/chum bag. I don't actually use any weight on my rod/reel. Only the dr weight. I send the dr down to the bottom, once it hits, bring it up a few feet (depending on wave action) and let it thump up and down. You can also run additional rods out the back with standard gear/weights. You just need to let enough line out that they are contacting the bottom consistently. The ebb fishes better than the flood.

*I also like to fillet my horse herring. Fillet goes on the hook with some magic thread, carcasses in the chum bag. I run the big Pline hoochies in white as well with my bait.

I should add that on the charter boats in Canada we didn't do any of that. Just standard gear fed out til it maintains contact with the bottom depending on current. They used a variety of baits, herring and salmon scraps being the best.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 08:14:31 AM »
I thump bottom and chum and last two I caught had a submersible LED attached as well.  I usually take a can or two of tuna and mackeral and crack them open a bit and put them in a mesh bag.  The scent goes out all tide change and I think it makes a difference. 

The season is short and the prize is big, I'll take any advantage I can get.  Big bait, chum, huge glow hoochie, LED, I throw the kitchen sink at them.  With halibut, more seems to be better.  I also constantly jig, a tip I learned in Alaska.  Don't let it sit there, move it around.

The weather is looking not pleasant, good luck and stay safe for whoever goes out.  Post some pics of some flatties.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 10:43:43 PM »
I thump bottom and chum and last two I caught had a submersible LED attached as well.  I usually take a can or two of tuna and mackeral and crack them open a bit and put them in a mesh bag.  The scent goes out all tide change and I think it makes a difference. 

The season is short and the prize is big, I'll take any advantage I can get.  Big bait, chum, huge glow hoochie, LED, I throw the kitchen sink at them.  With halibut, more seems to be better.  I also constantly jig, a tip I learned in Alaska.  Don't let it sit there, move it around.

The weather is looking not pleasant, good luck and stay safe for whoever goes out.  Post some pics of some flatties.

Thanks guys, was looking at bagging it and just shrimping and Ling fishing, but now it looks like the wind will be less. We'll see once we are out in the morning.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]