collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Which of the Proposals Would Get Your Support if Reviewed by the Commission

Removal of General Season Spike & Cow Harvest for Quality Managed Rocky Mountain Elk
21 (12.5%)
Harvest For Draw Only Areas Would Move to 3 Point Min or Brow Tine Restriction
16 (9.5%)
Regionalized Elk Zones to distribute hunters more evenly and decrease competition in both draws and in the field (would be around 10 or more Zones)
19 (11.3%)
Tag Allocation based on hunter participations (by weapon)/ This would be done by allocating harvest and pairing that number with historic harvest success
9 (5.4%)
Longer and Even Split Seasons to distribute hunters in the field and in the draws
10 (6%)
3 or 4 year waiting period after drawing a quality or bull tag (would be category dependent meaning you would only have to wait for quality if you drew a quality tag)
18 (10.7%)
Only Get 1 Choice in Quality Category and 2 in Bull and Antlerless (to decrease competition in draws)
33 (19.6%)
Make Once in a Lifetime Draws Exclusive from Deer/Elk and Other Species - (Have to pick if you want to apply for (Deer/Elk), (Moose),(Sheep), or (Goat)
25 (14.9%)
None of these
17 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: What Elk Management Change Proposals do you Support  (Read 9305 times)

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Re: What Elk Management Change Proposals do you Support
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »
id rather hunt every year than worry about joe blow podcast needing to kill a big bull once so he can blow up his Instagram.

Per his main argument for taking away the OTC hunts, you can go camping and just learn to be happy with that.

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,249904.msg3372517/topicseen.html#new
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:38:30 PM by Skillet »
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »
That's a bit unfair guys. I'm VERY critical about losing hunting rights always and I myself have been a big advocate of moving to draw systems for mule deer. Nothing wrong with having an open dialog about management and the status quo. Where I draw the line is when it is not for the betterment of the herd and habitat.

I think a better route is to widely increase tag allotments from current levels and drop the categories crap. Go back to the old way of drawing tags. Make the individual priorities what they want. Do you want to fill freezers burn your points on antlerless tags. Want a big bull? Drop your cow choices off your app and hold out for a bull tag.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2020, 01:46:18 PM »
That's a bit unfair guys. I'm VERY critical about losing hunting rights always and I myself have been a big advocate of moving to draw systems for mule deer. Nothing wrong with having an open dialog about management and the status quo. Where I draw the line is when it is not for the betterment of the herd and habitat.

I think a better route is to widely increase tag allotments from current levels and drop the categories crap. Go back to the old way of drawing tags. Make the individual priorities what they want. Do you want to fill freezers burn your points on antlerless tags. Want a big bull? Drop your cow choices off your app and hold out for a bull tag.

These are my feelings too. If draw only is done solely because it is needed to maintain and hopefully improve herd health and numbers then I can get behind it.

The categories are such a joke and need to be taken away yesterday. I would also be fine going as far as only being able to apply for deer or elk and not both each year. For the species you don't choose to apply in, you can still get ghost point so you don't fall as far behind.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2020, 02:00:13 PM »
The extra categories fund all the new access hunters have, so if you take them away and limit choices we'd surely lose all that additional access.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »
What access is funded by those categories?

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »

These are my feelings too. If draw only is done solely because it is needed to maintain and hopefully improve herd health and numbers then I can get behind it.

The categories are such a joke and need to be taken away yesterday. I would also be fine going as far as only being able to apply for deer or elk and not both each year. For the species you don't choose to apply in, you can still get ghost point so you don't fall as far behind.

Indeed at some point we have to care more about elk than elk hunting.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2020, 02:06:06 PM »

Beat me to it. I know the extra categories did help them hire some more wolf experts for an insane amount of money.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:24:19 PM by vandeman17 »

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2020, 02:07:44 PM »
Kinda what I was thinking. I'd like to see how much is spent on grading and brushing roads vs administrative

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »
I like the way Idaho does it. No points and you have to choose between putting in for deer/elk or OIL tags.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2020, 02:36:53 PM »
I like the way Idaho does it. No points and you have to choose between putting in for deer/elk or OIL tags.

but but but, I have been applying for years and I DESERVE to draw a tag... :stirthepot:

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2020, 03:02:26 PM »

Point taken, Karl.  I suppose I am being pretty hard on him.  But he's just another guy that comes along with a scheme to improve the odds for him to enjoy his way of hunting at the expense of everybody else's.  My main issue is probably more with his barreling on here with biased polls and ideas about what everybody's interpretation of "quality" is than the meat of his argument.

And I've long been a vocal opponent to the "big split" of points and increased categories that happened a while back.  I saw the writing on the wall, and quit the points game then and there. OTC for me from there on out.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2020, 03:09:20 PM »

Point taken, Karl.  I suppose I am being pretty hard on him.  But he's just another guy that comes along with a scheme to improve the odds for him to enjoy his way of hunting at the expense of everybody else's.  My main issue is probably more with his barreling on here with biased polls and ideas about what everybody's interpretation of "quality" is than the meat of his argument.

And I've long been a vocal opponent to the "big split" of points and increased categories that happened a while back.  I saw the writing on the wall, and quit the points game then and there. OTC for me from there on out.
I don't disagree my friend :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline idahohuntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »

Good question!  My post was tongue in cheek...more hunting access was a selling point the con-men at WDFW used to push for all these categories. Personally, I think it was something to benefit a few upper management folks who were either con artists with lots of points or truly ignorant/incapable of math and draw odds. Based on conversations I had with some of them at the time I honestly can't rule out the latter.   :bash: 

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2020, 03:36:13 PM »

Good question!  My post was tongue in cheek...more hunting access was a selling point the con-men at WDFW used to push for all these categories. Personally, I think it was something to benefit a few upper management folks who were either con artists with lots of points or truly ignorant/incapable of math and draw odds. Based on conversations I had with some of them at the time I honestly can't rule out the latter.   :bash:

Lol, I thought that may have been the case with your post  :chuckle:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2020, 03:53:09 PM »

but but but, I have been applying for years and I DESERVE to draw a tag... :stirthepot:
lol, actually after 24 years, I kinda feel I do deserve a tag in my home state. Just saying,  :peep:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand