collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: InReach or Spot X Messager? Why?  (Read 4437 times)

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
InReach or Spot X Messager? Why?
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »
I have had a Spot for years. And it has always worked for me as far as sending custom messages.
But the recent adventure I had left it lacking. No way to explain my needs to those coming to help.

Thus I am on the search for a unit I can message with.

Spot X can be had for $199.00. InReach about $349.00

The service plans seem close but Spot a little cheaper. Spot X can message directly to phone contacts thru Bluetooth. Unclear if InReach can do that without going through their site.

Let’s here your opinion. I know InReach is more popular. But

In reach

AFFORDABILITY MEETS FLEXIBILITY
You’ll need an active satellite subscription to access the Iridium satellite network for tracking, messaging and interactive SOS. Check out our subscription options below:
FREEDOM PLANS:
* Monthly service; only requires a 30-day commitment
* Suspend service when you don’t need it
* Perfect for single adventures or seasonal use
ANNUAL PLANS:
* Year-round use
* Lower monthly cost
* Always ready for your adventures
SELECT AND ACTIVATE A PLAN
Have questions about plan pricing or availability in your country? Read More | Watch Video
   SAFETY   RECREATION   EXPEDITION
SOS   Unlimited   Unlimited   Unlimited
TEXT MESSAGES*   10   40   Unlimited
PRESET MESSAGES   Unlimited   Unlimited   Unlimited
TRACKING INTERVALS   10 min+   10 min+   2 min+
SEND/TRACK POINTS   $0.10 ea   Unlimited   Unlimited
LOCATION REQUESTS   $0.10 ea   Unlimited   Unlimited
BASIC WEATHER   1 text message ea   1 text message ea   Unlimited
PREMIUM WEATHER   $1.00 ea   $1.00 ea   $1.00 ea
PREMIUM MARINE WEATHER   $1.00 ea   $1.00 ea   $1.00 ea
   MONTHLY CHARGES      
ANNUAL PLANS   $11.95/mo   $24.95/mo   $49.95/mo
FREEDOM PLANS   $14.95/mo   $34.95/mo   $64.95/mo
   OVERAGE CHARGES      
MESSAGES (EACH)*   $0.50   $0.50   N/A
*160 characters

Spot x

*       $11.95/MO. 12 Month Term Applies

* 20 CUSTOM MESSAGES
    * Overages: 25¢ per msg
    * S.O.S.
    * UNLIMITED
    * CHECK IN MESSAGES
    * UNLIMITED
    * PREDEFINED MESSAGES
    * UNLIMITED
    * TRACKING
    * 10, 30, 60 minutes
    * MOVEMENT ALERT
    * Not Included
    * ACTIVATION FEE: $19.95
*       ADVANCED
*       $19.95/MO. 12 Month Term Applies

* 100 CUSTOM MESSAGES
    * Overages: 25¢ per msg
    * S.O.S.
    * UNLIMITED
    * CHECK IN MESSAGES
    * UNLIMITED
    * PREDEFINED MESSAGES
    * UNLIMITED
    * TRACKING
    * 5, 10, 30, 60 minutes
    * MOVEMENT ALERT
    * 30 min, 60 min, 4 hr, 12 hr
*       UNLIMITED
*       $29.95/MO. 12 Month Term Applies

* CUSTOM MESSAGES
    * UNLIMITED
    * S.O.S.
    * UNLIMITED
    * CHECK IN MESSAGES
    * UNLIMITED
    * PREDEFINED MESSAGES
    * UNLIMITED
    * TRACKING
        * 2.5, 5, 10, 30, 60 minutes
    * MOVEMENT ALERT
    * 30 min, 60 min, 4 hr, 12 hr
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: InReach or Spot X Messager? Why?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:28:16 PM »
I’m not sure about spot plans or if it matters to you but Ot appears the  inreach monthly freedom plan has an annual service fee as well 25.99 or something close

Online Jason

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 09:33:53 PM »
I have the Spot X and my buddies all have the Inreach. Every year I activate for the months of August through November. Never any problems canceling my service with Spot.

My Spot X worked great in Northern BC last year. I got the last laugh as my buddies thought it wouldn’t work and I would be screwed with no reception. The Inreach is definitely faster at sending and receiving messages. Also, I don’t ever really use the predefined messages.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 09:39:25 PM »
I'm what you might consider a "heavy user" of inReach.  A couple thousand texts a year, on average.  It's an essential communication tool in the fleet up here.  I do not have Spot experience.

InReach can access all of your contacts in your phone if you message through the phone app via Bluetooth. I've used it without the app in a pinch, but what a pain.  It's really but that different than texting, except the longer tx time.

Regarding that, there is an easy way to force the inReach to ping the satellite.  If you're in a poor coverage area, you can often wait for a long time for the incoming messages to come down to you on their own.  However, in the app, if you go down the menu to "My inReach", then hit "Check for new messages," it will force a connection with a satellite.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »
I have the Spot X and my buddies all have the Inreach. Every year I activate for the months of August through November. Never any problems canceling my service with Spot.

My Spot X worked great in Northern BC last year. I got the last laugh as my buddies thought it wouldn’t work and I would be screwed with no reception. The Inreach is definitely faster at sending and receiving messages. Also, I don’t ever really use the predefined messages.

I am still confused on if you can direct text to your contacts with InReach or do your contacts have to message through the InReach site??

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 10:00:40 PM »

I am still confused on if you can direct text to your contacts with InReach or do your contacts have to message through the InReach site??

PM me your phone number and I'll send you an inReach right now that you can reply to as a text.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 10:25:04 PM »
Inreach.  Everybody I knew that was running SPOT switched. 

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 03:47:50 AM »
My Spot X Bluetooth runs better than my old Spot X without Bluetooth.  Remember to update firmware on these to.  No experience with Inreach.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Online Jason

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 05:23:06 AM »

PM me your phone number and I'll send you an inReach right now that you can reply to as a text.
Yes, no issues sending texts to inreach users.

Online Jason

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 05:27:53 AM »
I'm what you might consider a "heavy user" of inReach.  A couple thousand texts a year, on average.  It's an essential communication tool in the fleet up here.  I do not have Spot experience.

InReach can access all of your contacts in your phone if you message through the phone app via Bluetooth. I've used it without the app in a pinch, but what a pain.  It's really but that different than texting, except the longer tx time.

Regarding that, there is an easy way to force the inReach to ping the satellite.  If you're in a poor coverage area, you can often wait for a long time for the incoming messages to come down to you on their own.  However, in the app, if you go down the menu to "My inReach", then hit "Check for new messages," it will force a connection with a satellite.
Spot X has the same "check for new messages" . I don't have the Bluetooth model Spot X and wish I did as it's definitely faster typing texts from your phone than it is from the spot unit. But on the flip side I don't have to have a phone to use a qwerty keyboard.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 07:25:14 AM »
That’s me . Makes no sense to me to have to carry a phone and a locator. I mean if you are in the truck like my last adventure . But out hunting I never take a phone. Plus I don’t have a smart phone. My work provides me with a cell phone like brick.  :tung:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 07:57:41 AM »
That’s me . Makes no sense to me to have to carry a phone and a locator. I mean if you are in the truck like my last adventure . But out hunting I never take a phone. Plus I don’t have a smart phone. My work provides me with a cell phone like brick.  :tung:

I have the larger InReach and I don't know if it's substantially the same as the newer smaller one, but it can work with our without a phone.  Without a phone, it will take you a while to type out a message because there isn't a keyboard like on a smartphone, but you can do it by using the buttons and hunting out the letters on a screen and then sending it.  You can also program in contacts so you can access them without the phone.  The phone bluetooth connection is simply to make it more efficient.  You can even use both at the same time, all of the messages show up both on the Inreach and the phone app.

The messages themselves have to go up to the satellite, back down and through InReach to the destination.  This will be the same for whatever technology you use, there has to be some company that gets the message from the satellite and directs it somewhere, whether it be Inreach, sat phone, Spot or whoever.

I would say if you can do what you want with a text, get InReach.  If you need more like being able to talk, get a sat phone.  They both have pros and cons, with a sat phone, they don't tell people where you are which is one huge benefit of InReach, it can work even if you are hurt if you set it up to send out periodic texts to someone with your location.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:05:34 AM by Stein »

Offline HikerHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
As far as plans go, I think it depends on your use. For me, I only need it during hunting season and I'm not trying to have full text conversations, the inreach freedom safety plan pencils out better.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 02:04:52 PM »
Sooo

I like the Inreach mini. But can I send a text message on it with out a cell phone? The Spot X has a key pad.

Does a key pad come on the mini screen when you select text message?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]