collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: InReach or Spot X Messager? Why?  (Read 4439 times)

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: InReach or Spot X Messager? Why?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 02:33:59 PM »
But the Spot X is a lot cheaper. $20.00 per month 100 custom text messages. 19.95 activation fee, all other messages unlimited.

InReach $30.00 a month 40 custom messages. 24.00 activation fee. all other messages unlimited

Both year round.

UMMMMM
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »
Do a bit of googling on the reliability of spot vs inReach and how they process emergency messages.  InReach flat out works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 06:25:24 PM »
Do a bit of googling on the reliability of spot vs inReach and how they process emergency messages.  InReach flat out works.

That is why I went inreach.  One of my climbing buddies went through 3 spots in under a year via the warranty.   They honored the warranty but what a pain!  Did not give us warm fuzzies when it came to potential emergency use!

I have used the inreach on many trips including zimbabwe.  It was confiscated at Heathrow this year when i forgot to put it in a carryone and checked it by mistake (Li batteries i guess)  i got a replacement.  My wife works with International missionaries and they have a couple they send with their teams when they go overseas.

I have found the weather forecast requests to be very helpful when in the back country multiple days.   Very nice to get location based forecasts!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Turdle

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 11:42:39 PM »
 I just went with the inreach mini, recreation plan 25.00 per month. This is my first month, and only played with it a little. It works for me. I can go 10 miles from my house and be out of cell service. I do enough hunting, fishing, motorcycle riding, dirt and pavement, exploring back roads all through the year, I think its worth the piece of mind for me and the family to be able to text any info needed. And that's just for me, I come across others not as well prepared that may need it. The life it saves could be ..... :dunno:

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 04:51:57 AM »
I carry mine when I am working on the roof while the wife is out for the day!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 07:47:20 AM »
Inreach Mini can be had for 299 on a few sites right now.
Camofire had them the other day.
Makes me wonder if a new model is on it's way.

I just purchased an InReach Mini a couple months ago. Havent unboxed it yet.

Family had issues at home last season and I was out of service for 12 days.  Wife was not happy.

Offline HikerHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 10:42:30 AM »

Agree. They are different satellite networks. I actually switched from Spot to an Inreach mini because I was having messages not sent through even when above the treeline. I've haven't had a failed message from the Inreach yet.

Offline HikerHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
Sooo

I like the Inreach mini. But can I send a text message on it with out a cell phone? The Spot X has a key pad.

Does a key pad come on the mini screen when you select text message?

I have the mini and am satisfied with it, but mostly because I strategically utilize the preset messages and do only a few custom messages. Without a phone, inreach mini custom messages are a pain. You cycle through the alphabet with the up/down arrow buttons, but I knew that going into the mini and it hasn't been an issue for me.

Offline HikerHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »
But the Spot X is a lot cheaper. $20.00 per month 100 custom text messages. 19.95 activation fee, all other messages unlimited.

InReach $30.00 a month 40 custom messages. 24.00 activation fee. all other messages unlimited

Both year round.

UMMMMM

I believe the inreach plan you're looking at is $25/month, so its a total of $65 different for the entire year. Even if I'm wrong and its $125 more for the year, that's a small price to pay, if your life counts on it, for a more reliable satellite network.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
All good points. I have been watching a few Inreach videos. Seems like the Mini would be the best for me. I carry a Rhino so don't need the Explorer.
My service with Spot is up in October so I am ahead of the game. If I can figure out how to cancel the Spot Service in September. They don't make the cancel easy. Tried to find it last night and even with directions couldn't figure the cancel part out.  :bash:

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline HikerHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »
All good points. I have been watching a few Inreach videos. Seems like the Mini would be the best for me. I carry a Rhino so don't need the Explorer.
My service with Spot is up in October so I am ahead of the game. If I can figure out how to cancel the Spot Service in September. They don't make the cancel easy. Tried to find it last night and even with directions couldn't figure the cancel part out.  :bash:

I couldn't figure out how to cancel my Spot either so i had to call customer service.

Offline Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 05:34:52 AM »
It’s super easy to cancel when your ready. One click on your computer.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 07:08:49 AM »
It’s super easy to cancel when your ready. One click on your computer.

I played around with it 15 minutes or so couldn’t figure it out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal