collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: F350 front end shake  (Read 5625 times)

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: F350 front end shake
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2020, 06:50:15 AM »
If it has a shake my first thoughts are tires , Can you drive through it and does it only do it a certain speeds ? tires could also be cupped on the front . id swap front to rear and re drive , check steering linkage and ball joints while you got the jack out .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 07:04:05 AM »
^^happened to my old Tacoma. I’d hit 55mph and the front end felt like it was gonna rattle apart. Past that it was fine and slower was fine. That was just the speed it went haywire. Took it to les Schwab and they told me it was shocks. Changed those, still the issue. Then they said rims were bent. Swapped those and still same issue. Was talking to a buddy 6 months later and he mentioned tires, ran his hand over them and said yep, check this out. I felt/saw what he had said and sure enough, it was the tires. Swapped them out and no issue after that

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
If i was a gambler, I’d replace the trac bar and trac bar ball joint first.

I read something about the trac bar and its bushings.  But that was on some newer models that were having similar sounding problems.

I was able to get underneath and had my son turn the steering wheel with the engine off.  It seemed like there was play in the track bar ball joint. would I just have to replace the track bar ball joint and bushing?  The track bar is solid steel, i wouldn't think it would need replaced. 
Trac baars and trac bar ball joints have been a weak link issue with Super Duty for a very long time and continue to be.

Yup.
A correct leveling kit replaces the trac bar location and will create an equal distance between both front tires and the truck frame.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 09:26:16 AM »
I am currently experiencing this on my 2003 F-350.  Also some popping sounds when turning.  Whats the approximate cost for replacing ball joints and other mentioned fixes?
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 01:40:19 PM »
When I checked my track bar ball joint, I also raised the front end and checked my upper and lower ball joints by trying to get play top and bottom and side to side.  Everything seemed tight at the wheels.  The track bar ball joint did have a little play in it when the pickup was on the ground and I had my son turn the steering wheel left and right.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »
Hubs?   
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 04:28:10 PM »
We have changed ball joints/hubs and steering on my sons '99 F250 and '02 F350. Utube is your friend.  But I do have a lot of tools on hand. :)

Offline NitRally

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 10:48:20 PM »
Hubs?

This. Check the hubs. Had a similar issur on my truck the wheel bearings were shot. Pretty easy fix. Also check tire pressure. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »
Yep all of the above.   Unbalanced tires, rims, worn tie rod end, wheel bearings, ball joints, steering gear slop, loose steering gear, shot shocks.   Allows vibration at certain speeds which grows to a wobble or death wobble.  No weak links allowed. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal