collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taller front sight  (Read 6353 times)

Offline gaolista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Taller front sight
« on: June 03, 2020, 06:08:35 PM »
I have an ace in the hole peep and am at the front end of the ramp and shooting low at 100.  I cannot find a shorter front sight for the life me. Any advice? Shooting a CVA Optima v2. Thanks in advance.  The title says Taller, I meant Shorter.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Taller front sight
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
It should likely be a standard dovetail front sight and not rifle specific. Just measure the height and find a generic replacement with the correct dovetail in a lower height. Look at Midway or Brownell’s for a good selection.

Offline gaolista

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:08:15 PM »
It should likely be a standard dovetail front sight and not rifle specific. Just measure the height and find a generic replacement with the correct dovetail in a lower height. Look at Midway or Brownell’s for a good selection.
Thanks for the reply. The stock sight isn’t a dovetail, so I assume I’d have to find a dovetail mount too? I’m guessing that is a standard size probably? Thanks for the help!

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 11:47:13 PM »
I have an ace in the hole peep and am at the front end of the ramp and shooting low at 100.  I cannot find a shorter front sight for the life me. Any advice? Shooting a CVA Optima v2. Thanks in advance.  The title says Taller, I meant Shorter.

The real issue is that the rear sight is too far forward, it should be right near the back of the barrel right near the breech plug. It is built this way so you can put a rail on the gun for a scope and not have the stock rear sight interfere. The solution to your problem is to get an Eabco peeprib. Once your rear sight is further back then the stock front sight will work just fine. Plus, if you ever want to throw a scope on then you can (hunt in a firearms restricted area or in a state that allow scopes on a muzzy).

https://www.eabco.net/PeepRib-Peep-Sights-for-CVA-Optima-Kodiak-Wolf-and-Accura_p_13910.html

On mine I removed the sight that came with the peeprib and put a Williams ghost ring on it.

Offline gaolista

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 05:27:21 AM »

The real issue is that the rear sight is too far forward, it should be right near the back of the barrel right near the breech plug. It is built this way so you can put a rail on the gun for a scope and not have the stock rear sight interfere. The solution to your problem is to get an Eabco peeprib. Once your rear sight is further back then the stock front sight will work just fine. Plus, if you ever want to throw a scope on then you can (hunt in a firearms restricted area or in a state that allow scopes on a muzzy).

https://www.eabco.net/PeepRib-Peep-Sights-for-CVA-Optima-Kodiak-Wolf-and-Accura_p_13910.html

On mine I removed the sight that came with the peeprib and put a Williams ghost ring on it.
Thanks for the reply. I have my ace in the hole rail mounted all the way back and my peep is right in front of the plug and I’m still at the end of the ramp. Might need to get the file out.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 06:37:39 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I have my ace in the hole rail mounted all the way back and my peep is right in front of the plug and I’m still at the end of the ramp. Might need to get the file out.
Same problem with my same gun.  I've bought two sights and both are almost off the rail, my front site (or what ever is closest to end of barrel), is too tall.  sabatloader sent me a fix but I still need to buy it and see.  there is a topic on here with all the info you should need, I just hope it all works out before muzzy season.  It's been a very frustrating time finding both sites that work together.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Online dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 06:45:46 AM »
I also bought the optima last yr and have the same issue. 

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 06:53:44 AM »
I'm hoping this works.     https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/optics/sights/williams-western-precision-muzzleloading-sight-set-cva-traditions-t-c.html              My only concern is will the site at the end of the barrel still be too tall. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline gaolista

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »
I'm hoping this works.     https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/optics/sights/williams-western-precision-muzzleloading-sight-set-cva-traditions-t-c.html              My only concern is will the site at the end of the barrel still be too tall.
Yeah I’ve looked at the globe, but I’m afraid in lowlight situations having the fiber will probably be better.

Offline gaolista

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 02:48:40 PM »

Same problem with my same gun.  I've bought two sights and both are almost off the rail, my front site (or what ever is closest to end of barrel), is too tall.  sabatloader sent me a fix but I still need to buy it and see.  there is a topic on here with all the info you should need, I just hope it all works out before muzzy season.  It's been a very frustrating time finding both sites that work together.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll have to search thru the threads, any chance you have a link to it?

Offline gaolista

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »
I’m about ready to get the file out, the other part of the equation that I don’t know is just how much lower I need to go. If anyone has experience and would have advice that’d be awesome! Ideally I’d like to be able to use the whole ramp and not keep the peep cling onto the front end even after the solution.

Offline MeatMissile

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 05:36:55 PM »
I replaced the factory front sight with a Williams .405 fiberoptic front sight.  Its a standard round cut .8 something to fit my barrel.

Offline gaolista

• Tracker

Offline gaolista

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »
I replaced the factory front sight with a Williams .405 fiberoptic front sight.  Its a standard round cut .8 something to fit my barrel.
Might have to go with something like this one. I assume similar to the Williams one that you switched to.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828810516

Offline gaolista

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 05:36:18 PM »
Well, after going back and forth, I’ve decided to 3D print shims that will go under the peep rail. 3D printed parts are remarkably strong, I’ll just need to get longer screws. Can anyone confirm they are 8-40 sized screws? I’ll keep you posted how it all works out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]