collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: IDFG may limit nonresident disabled veteran tags  (Read 3804 times)

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
IDFG may limit nonresident disabled veteran tags
« on: June 03, 2020, 08:48:58 PM »
Idaho is considering limiting the number of discounted non-resident disabled veteran deer and elk tags.  Apparently the tag sales are increasing each year to the point they are starting to have concerns about the numbers.  It's impossible to adequately thank our veterans and active duty military for their service, especially those who were injured - or never made it home.  However, I do support this proposal given the increase in numbers - in part because I know of so many great programs and people who help veterans with hunts.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/about/rules/provide-commission-authority-limit-nonresident-disabled-veteran-deer-and-elk-tags
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: IDFG may limit nonresident disabled veteran tags
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 07:50:24 AM »
I think a better alternative would be to make them choose either a deer or elk tag at the DAV price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 07:55:35 AM »
There might be a clue to the real concern in the proposed solution - cap them and sell the rest a full price tag.  Another solution would be to include the DAV tags in the statewide NR limit. 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
There might be a clue to the real concern in the proposed solution - cap them and sell the rest a full price tag.  Another solution would be to include the DAV tags in the statewide NR limit.
rolling it into the NR quota is the best option. Give them a discount but we can't ignore sound management practices. This is another another byproduct of the massive influx of new residents.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 11:29:23 AM »
Thank you for posting this. I submitted a comment. I bought a hunting DAV license & deer tag this year & probably will not even hunt ID & will continue to do so as long as a can use this program.  :tup:

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 02:16:54 PM »
I didnt realize they didnt count towards the NR allocation...thats a no brainer. I feel like they should be...

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 03:09:18 PM »
How about another idea is to quit allowing residents to buy tags also till later if at all?  Que the Idaho residents! :chuckle:

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »
Before limiting anything I would look at how DAV tags are affecting the harvest. Are all the DAV folks actually hunting? I know a buddy of mine bought the tags, but did not hunt, didn't even show up. I would also look at the percentage of DAV folks that are actually harvesting animals. As you know just because you buy a tag it does not mean you are going to get something. I would check out the above before I would risk loosing an income resource. I did not hunt the openers for elk or deer, I really did not notice hunter congestion.
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 03:14:43 PM »
I didnt realize they didnt count towards the NR allocation...thats a no brainer. I feel like they should be...

Then it's a revenue issue as they would lose selling NR full price tags.  My guess is that is one of the reasons it was originally not included and now they are selling too many DAV tags to ignore any longer.

If they put them within the quota, they would lose out on $698,000 just in elk tags.

Offline Snakeriver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 03:20:24 PM »
I hope they don't limit them, and I thinks its to bad other states dont give our DAV more discounts.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 05:46:24 PM »

Then it's a revenue issue as they would lose selling NR full price tags.  My guess is that is one of the reasons it was originally not included and now they are selling too many DAV tags to ignore any longer.

If they put them within the quota, they would lose out on $698,000 just in elk tags.
Yea, there's not a chance they roll these into the existing nr quota due to the revenue issue.  Especially since they are raising prices and cutting nr quota next year.  Keeping them separate, but limiting them should keep most folks happy  :dunno:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 05:53:55 PM »
I started hunting Idaho 4 years ago because of this program.  I don't think capping them is a terrible idea.  Its a great thing ID does for us, but if it's being overused, I'd rather see it controlled than eliminated. 
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 06:25:00 PM »
Officially announced today

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 06:29:24 PM »
Thank you for posting this. I submitted a comment. I bought a hunting DAV license & deer tag this year & probably will not even hunt ID & will continue to do so as long as a can use this program.  :tup:
You just talked me out of liking the idea of rolling it into the NR allotment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
Knew it was going to be capped eventually, glad they didn't cancel it. ID seemed packed this September with NR, no way I'll spend $900 next year to archery elk hunt in an area as crowded as WA.
Really disappointed to see they are doing away with the youth NR program, was hoping to take advantage of that as my kids got older. 
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal