collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2nd year in still no success  (Read 7360 times)

Offline Bogie85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
Re: 2nd year in still no success
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 01:06:00 PM »
You won't regret sticking with it.

My biggest pointer:   find bird dense areas. 
Hunting where there are lots of birds will give you lots of opportunities to screw up and get some birds!!!!

Definitely trying, I found a spot last year. But this year it was swamped with hunters. So it screwed my chances.

Offline HikerHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 02:21:19 PM »
Definitely trying, I found a spot last year. But this year it was swamped with hunters. So it screwed my chances.

This season was definitely an anomaly because of how it was shortened which inherently makes areas more crowded. But its always good to have a couple spots in mind in case that happens again.

Offline scooby

• Tracker
  • Groups: Trout Unlimited, BHA, NWTF
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 04:07:05 PM »
I ate spring tag soup this year as well (also my second year). Last year I got out for a few days right when the season opened and I literally picked a few spots out at random on OnX and thought I was a genius when I settled on a patch of public ground with a dozen gobblers at least within ear shot. I ended up scaring them all away trying to chase after them :) You always read that you have to be patient but it's hard to be patient when you hear that gobble. Man it's a cool sound. I went a few more times later in the season and never got back on the birds/didn't figure out how to hunt them. I did see my first cougar at 20 yards (then went home and upgraded from bear spray to a 10mm) that came in to a hen call, my first Washington State moose, and a crap-ton of deer that I damn sure never say during deer season, and had a good time.

This year, a bit more of the same. Went out for a couple trips for a couple days alone in the woods and heard some gobbles, even called in a lone hen so close I could have probably grabbed her, and learned how and how not to pick a tick off. Good times. I'll be out again for deer and elk, (still unsuccessful there too, this will be my second year with that as well), but I'm definitely looking forward to April 15th, 2021 already to go try to get a turkey.

We'll get there. I came in to hunting pretty late in my 30's but have wanted to do it for a while now. Most of my friends who have hunted their whole lives and have meat in the freezer tell me that it's "more about being in the woods" and that getting skunked is just part of it. I agree with them like...90%. I want that other 10% though,  :tup:

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 04:13:35 PM »
I ate spring tag soup this year as well (also my second year). Last year I got out for a few days right when the season opened and I literally picked a few spots out at random on OnX and thought I was a genius when I settled on a patch of public ground with a dozen gobblers at least within ear shot. I ended up scaring them all away trying to chase after them :) You always read that you have to be patient but it's hard to be patient when you hear that gobble. Man it's a cool sound. I went a few more times later in the season and never got back on the birds/didn't figure out how to hunt them. I did see my first cougar at 20 yards (then went home and upgraded from bear spray to a 10mm) that came in to a hen call, my first Washington State moose, and a crap-ton of deer that I damn sure never say during deer season, and had a good time.

This year, a bit more of the same. Went out for a couple trips for a couple days alone in the woods and heard some gobbles, even called in a lone hen so close I could have probably grabbed her, and learned how and how not to pick a tick off. Good times. I'll be out again for deer and elk, (still unsuccessful there too, this will be my second year with that as well), but I'm definitely looking forward to April 15th, 2021 already to go try to get a turkey.

We'll get there. I came in to hunting pretty late in my 30's but have wanted to do it for a while now. Most of my friends who have hunted their whole lives and have meat in the freezer tell me that it's "more about being in the woods" and that getting skunked is just part of it. I agree with them like...90%. I want that other 10% though,  :tup:

I feel you man, I am 37 and just started hunting when I was 33. It's been a tough learning curve, I have yet to harvest anything. This is my 5th year going after Blacktail, I hope to make it happen. But who knows, I did get multi season so that helps. And that's what most people telling, you better your odds the more and longer you can be in the woods. Even if it's for a few hours, you just never know.

Offline scooby

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »

I feel you man, I am 37 and just started hunting when I was 33. It's been a tough learning curve, I have yet to harvest anything. This is my 5th year going after Blacktail, I hope to make it happen. But who knows, I did get multi season so that helps. And that's what most people telling, you better your odds the more and longer you can be in the woods. Even if it's for a few hours, you just never know.

I applied for and got a multi-season deer tag this year too. I'll probably try to get out for muzzleloader, and I might get a bow but I don't know if I'll have time to ethically practice enough to make it a good attempt. Summer is usually pretty busy for me and with ranges closed I just need to keep it realistic. More opportunity will be a good thing though, you're right!
I went duck hunting with a few guys from this board who needed another person to go with them for a guided trip at Potholes. It was so much fun. It was honestly 3 of us dudes who hadn't been duck hunting before blasting away at ducks so while I'm pretty sure I killed some, no one knew "who's" it was. We went away with a couple each and I learned that I wanted to duck and goose hunt. That will also be a bit more of a focus for this year. Even a couple geese a year is a pretty big cache of meat in the freezer. My wife is vegetarian but really supportive of hunting so it's nice that I only need enough for me technically  ;)

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 01:14:40 PM »

I applied for and got a multi-season deer tag this year too. I'll probably try to get out for muzzleloader, and I might get a bow but I don't know if I'll have time to ethically practice enough to make it a good attempt. Summer is usually pretty busy for me and with ranges closed I just need to keep it realistic. More opportunity will be a good thing though, you're right!
I went duck hunting with a few guys from this board who needed another person to go with them for a guided trip at Potholes. It was so much fun. It was honestly 3 of us dudes who hadn't been duck hunting before blasting away at ducks so while I'm pretty sure I killed some, no one knew "who's" it was. We went away with a couple each and I learned that I wanted to duck and goose hunt. That will also be a bit more of a focus for this year. Even a couple geese a year is a pretty big cache of meat in the freezer. My wife is vegetarian but really supportive of hunting so it's nice that I only need enough for me technically  ;)

I would love to go duck hunting someday, and goose. Was that duck trip expensive? Also for bow, you can just pick up an archery block and go find some public land and practice there. That’s what I do and just use my range finder to identify the ranges.

I have had a muzzleloaders for two years, but i am finally going to practice this year so I get the whole time thing. My wife likes to hang out with me go figure 13 years and she still isn’t over me yet. So my summers end up being honey do lists and trips with her and our son. But I am trying a sneaky maneuver of doing “hiking” but in reality I am scouting with them. We shall see how that works out lol.

Offline scooby

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 09:14:50 AM »

I would love to go duck hunting someday, and goose. Was that duck trip expensive? Also for bow, you can just pick up an archery block and go find some public land and practice there. That’s what I do and just use my range finder to identify the ranges.

I have had a muzzleloaders for two years, but i am finally going to practice this year so I get the whole time thing. My wife likes to hang out with me go figure 13 years and she still isn’t over me yet. So my summers end up being honey do lists and trips with her and our son. But I am trying a sneaky maneuver of doing “hiking” but in reality I am scouting with them. We shall see how that works out lol.

The duck trip was pretty reasonable at $300 (not including tip, lodging, etc) a person as long as you had at least 3 folks. You got a boat ride to a spot that the guide had decoys and a blind in the water already, breakfast, lunch and then a boat ride back. I may do it again, but what it really helped with was having the guide give pointers and shoot the breeze about how to hunt ducks and geese more efficiently and why they put the decoys where they did and all that. It was totally worth all the experience and knowledge for sure.  I may not do it again ($300+ would be a good investment toward my own duck hunting gear for sure), but it was 100% worth it.

The summer "hiking is also scouting" is totally key! My wife has amazing game eye, so it's nice that she wants to go outside, find animals and go hiking as much as I do.

I'll be on the lookout for a bow. It looks like a fun thing to do, I've just got to get some guidance on it and make the commitment!

Offline HAGEMANIAC

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, NWTF, RMEF, MDF, VFW, USAF
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »
I hunt the east side, helped two different buddies harvest their first ever birds this year.  If you wanna go out next year, just let me know I'll be around.  Would rather fill your first tag than my own any day. The important part is to not get discouraged and stick with it which it sounds like you're doing. Good luck this fall season on all your tags!  :tup:
God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »
I hunt the east side, helped two different buddies harvest their first ever birds this year.  If you wanna go out next year, just let me know I'll be around.  Would rather fill your first tag than my own any day. The important part is to not get discouraged and stick with it which it sounds like you're doing. Good luck this fall season on all your tags!  :tup:

Heck yeah I am always down to learn from someone who knows what they are doing. I have some spots that I know some turkey are at so you wouldn’t have to give up any of your spots.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
For whatever it’s worth I have a lot of success with turkeys and do think locater calls are a waste of time in my experience. I have been around turkeys a lot and have never heard one shock gobble to a real owl, crow or coyote. Trees falling yes, doors slamming shut yes, but the most effective turkey locater for me is a hen turkey call. When you get into a area that has turkeys and they shut up off the roost or never gobble at first light don’t get discouraged. Hang out and wait. Maybe call every now and then and wait. It’s nice getting woke Up from a mid morning nap to a fired up tom a few hundred yards away.

I have called in fired up toms from opening day to the last day of the season at all times of the day. And don’t think that you have to use a decoy. The more I hunt them the more I conclude they ARE STUPID. But they are kick to hunt. Stick with it, giant chicken season is long and full of opportunity.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 10:20:03 PM »
For whatever it’s worth I have a lot of success with turkeys and do think locater calls are a waste of time in my experience. I have been around turkeys a lot and have never heard one shock gobble to a real owl, crow or coyote. Trees falling yes, doors slamming shut yes, but the most effective turkey locater for me is a hen turkey call. When you get into a area that has turkeys and they shut up off the roost or never gobble at first light don’t get discouraged. Hang out and wait. Maybe call every now and then and wait. It’s nice getting woke Up from a mid morning nap to a fired up tom a few hundred yards away.

I have called in fired up toms from opening day to the last day of the season at all times of the day. And don’t think that you have to use a decoy. The more I hunt them the more I conclude they ARE STUPID. But they are kick to hunt. Stick with it, giant chicken season is long and full of opportunity.

This helps, we accidentally scared some out of their roost with a shock call from 60 yards away. And the more I used the shock call, the more timid they got imho. I overthink everything, so I was thinking maybe it's just me. But by day 4 I was really hesitant to use the shock call. I wanted to stick to the hen calls, but my buddy (also a newb) was adamant about using the shock call and that's when we saw them fly. Lessons learned, he's worried that the hen call moving is going to make them think you are moving towards them.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2020, 11:32:41 AM »

This helps, we accidentally scared some out of their roost with a shock call from 60 yards away. And the more I used the shock call, the more timid they got imho. I overthink everything, so I was thinking maybe it's just me. But by day 4 I was really hesitant to use the shock call. I wanted to stick to the hen calls, but my buddy (also a newb) was adamant about using the shock call and that's when we saw them fly. Lessons learned, he's worried that the hen call moving is going to make them think you are moving towards them.

That’s fine if they do. It’s typical for the hen to travel to the tom. And often they will meet in the middle. Remember owls eat turkeys. I believe they are one of the biggest turkey predators and they smack them right out of the tree.

Offline HikerHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 12:01:28 PM »
That’s fine if they do. It’s typical for the hen to travel to the tom. And often they will meet in the middle. Remember owls eat turkeys. I believe they are one of the biggest turkey predators and they smack them right out of the tree.

The Meateater podcast recently interviewed a turkey researcher that talked about how hard owls are on turkeys. Just like you said, they smack them right out of the tree and drive them to the ground from the sounds of it.

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2020, 04:26:23 AM »
I have been hunting turkeys in N.E. Washington for about 18 years. I have gotten a bird every year.  My hunting methods have changed considerably since I started. I do not call near as much, never use a decoy, and be very patient. I have found that while first light is a wonderful time to be in the turkey woods it is not the most productive time. The best thing about the early morning is it confirms there are turkeys around. When you do get one to come in off roost, a thrill. I get most birds in spring after 8am till noon. I use a box call, scratch box call and wing bone calls. Box call to find them, scratch box when they are with in 100 yards and wing bone if they hang up. If I am not familiar with area, I walk and use box call every couple hundred yards. I will do two series of calls and move on. Listen close if located where you can hear a train whistle at a road crossing it will make gobblers call. A ravin may cause a shock call also. Once I set up I wait 5-10 minutes before calling to let things settle down, and will give a two call series each series 3 yelps moderate volume.. I wait 15 minutes before calling again. I can not stress enough on being still and quite. There eye sight and hearing much superior than a deer. A wise gobbler may come in completely silent, very slowly, looking continually. Very enjoyable especially using my flint lock 12 ga.  The fall season a completely different hunt a ambush  hunt. Good luck.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]