collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sbr question  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Sbr question
« on: June 05, 2020, 12:03:12 AM »
In diving into the ar world and I’ve got a pretty stupid sbr question. I was talking to my brother and them and he was saying I need to fill out a form sent it in and get a stamp on the rifle. Cool. But than he goes on to say that if I want to go out and shoot it I need to notify some one I’m going to do that before I go to the range? Is this true? Again sorry for the question but I can’t find a straight answer on it.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Re: Sbr question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 05:01:59 AM »
If you go with a 10.5" barrel or shorter it is classified as a pistol.  Don't have to go through all of that then.  I have a AR pistol
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 05:31:33 AM »
Careful! Just because the barrel is 10.5" or shorter, doesn't automatically make it a pistol!  There are other stipulations to that loophole.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33:48 AM »
In diving into the ar world and I’ve got a pretty stupid sbr question. I was talking to my brother and them and he was saying I need to fill out a form sent it in and get a stamp on the rifle. Cool. But than he goes on to say that if I want to go out and shoot it I need to notify some one I’m going to do that before I go to the range? Is this true? Again sorry for the question but I can’t find a straight answer on it.

No, that is not true.  Once your SBR is approved you do not need inform anyone before shooting it at the range.  There are restrictions on taking it across state lines.  I suggest you get more, and better, info before tackling this.  There are some good youtube videos that are a place to start.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 05:35:51 AM »
If you go with a 10.5" barrel or shorter it is classified as a pistol.

That isn't true either.  The difference between an SBR and an AR pistol boils down to one thing; a Short Barrel Rifle is designed to be fired from the shoulder, a pistol is not.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 08:43:49 AM »
Sorry and have a arm brace for the pistol.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 08:54:24 AM »
Thanks everyone! Looks like my brother needs to look into the law a little better

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 08:57:53 AM »
I have a AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel with a arm brace.  I will find oictures and post it

Russell McDonald

Offline STEVO85

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 09:10:28 AM »
Once you get your stamp back then you treat it just as any other rifle other than crossing state lines with it. You have to fill out and get a approved 5320 transport permit to cross state lines. The route I went for ease of use is to build my 10.5 as a pistol. With the availability and quality of the different braces out there today I personally wouldn't go the sbr route because of the cost, time, and restrictions. As a pistol you can keep it loaded in a vehicle if need be and with the atf's reversal on being able to shoot a pistol from the shoulder I don't see the advantage of a sbr except for the cool factor if you were trying to build a replica gun or something. A pistol has 99% of the same usability with 0% of the hoops to jump through.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »
If you go with a 10.5" barrel or shorter it is classified as a pistol.  Don't have to go through all of that then.  I have a AR pistol

Pretty sure it has to come from the manufacturer as a pistol in order for it not to be classified as a SBR.  You put a short barrel or even a short barrel upper and an arm brace on an AR that was sold by the manufacture as a rifle, you better have it engraved as an SBR and have a tax stamp for it because you just made a short barreled rifle.

AR pistols made and sold as pistols, regardless of barrel length and even if they have an arm brace, are considered pistols and don't require a tax stamp.  The ATF has a memo on arm braces and how they can be fired from the shoulder.  It's been awhile since I read it but I recall it leaves a lot of room for interpretation.  If I remember it read something like you can occasionally shoot an AR pistol with an arm brace from the shoulder but if you intend to shoot it from the shoulder all the time, then not so much.  Like I said, it's worded kind of odd and leaves it open to interpretation with a lot of grey area.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »

Pretty sure it has to come from the manufacturer as a pistol in order for it not to be classified as a SBR.  You put a short barrel or even a short barrel upper and an arm brace on an AR that was sold by the manufacture as a rifle, you better have it engraved as an SBR and have a tax stamp for it because you just made a short barreled rifle.

AR pistols made and sold as pistols, regardless of barrel length and even if they have an arm brace, are considered pistols and don't require a tax stamp.  The ATF has a memo on arm braces and how they can be fired from the shoulder.  It's been awhile since I read it but I recall it leaves a lot of room for interpretation.  If I remember it read something like you can occasionally shoot an AR pistol with an arm brace from the shoulder but if you intend to shoot it from the shoulder all the time, then not so much.  Like I said, it's worded kind of odd and leaves it open to interpretation with a lot of grey area.
I bought mine as a pistol but it was only the lower kit that was labeled as a pistol.  Which as far as I can tell with the naked eye is the buffer tube is a different size where standard rifle stocks won't fit on it.  The upper seems to be standard to any upper just has a 10.5" barrel.

Russell McDonald

Offline NWShooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RockyMountain Elk foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, NRA.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »
WoW! I haven’t read so much confusion and misinformation. Concerning SBR’s or AR pistols in one place in a long time. Do the proper research. Ignorance is no excuse in the eye of the law. Look it up and read. He said, she said on a forum is nothing but misinformation.
A empty vessel makes the most noise.

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Offline STEVO85

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 04:28:45 PM »
"Pretty sure it has to come from the manufacturer as a pistol in order for it not to be classified as a SBR."

If the lower was purchased as a complete rifle or rifle lower then it can't be made into a pistol. If the lower was purchased as a pistol lower or a striped lower purchased as a "other" then you can build it as a pistol without issue. You must also stay under 26" from the end of the muzzle threads to the end of the buffer tube otherwise it would be a firearm. Your muzzle devise and brace are not factored into that length unless permanently attached, pinned muzzle device for instance. You can't use a vertical fore grip, but you can use a angled for grip. If you do some searching you can find all of the specs that it has to fit into to be a pistol, or what you need to do to register it as a sbr. There is some risky gray area on what is defined as a firearm and how your gun might be looked at if enforcement ever decided to take issue with it if it is more than 26". My 5.56 10.5" barrel is 25.5" oal and works very well suppressed or unsuppressed. If you went with a 300blk you could go 7.5 or 8.5 but guys have mixed reliability under 10.5 with a 5.56. Just my experience with them anyway.
Mine is set up similar to the pic Russ posted. It uses the kak super tube and blade brace. The newer sba 3 and sba 4 braces use a carbine buffer tube and you can adjust the "length of pull" on your brace. There are some good youtube videos that explain the differences between the two a little easier to understand than what the atf paper reads. I would still recommend building a pistol instead of a sbr just because it's less of a hassle.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 04:43:12 PM »

Most stripped lowers come as "other".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 05:49:12 PM »

Most stripped lowers come as "other".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yup that is how I got mine.  Stripped lower as other than a pistol lower kit.

Russell McDonald

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]