collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sbr question  (Read 3989 times)

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Sbr question
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »
Not worth the $200 for the stamp to have an SBR
 My 10.5" Pistol started as an " other " lower . I can cross state lines with it without hassle , it rides around loaded in my truck  . One thing people don't think about with 556 SBRs or pistols is they are loud as hell ,  unless you suppress them ( which I do ) my pistol unsupressed will give me a headache and make my ears ring ( even with EarPro ) after a mag or two with a regular muzzle device . You can get blast comps ( SLR makes a nice one $$ ) that directs the blast away from the shooter . I put one on my brother's 10.5" Pistol and it's not bad to shoot . As far as not shouldering the brace no LEO will hassle you , I've shot mine and my brother his  numerous times with Leo's that my brother works with and not 1 has said a thing . 
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 05:56:15 PM »
Not worth the $200 for the stamp to have an SBR
 My 10.5" Pistol started as an " other " lower . I can cross state lines with it without hassle , it rides around loaded in my truck  . One thing people don't think about with 556 SBRs or pistols is they are loud as hell ,  unless you suppress them ( which I do ) my pistol unsupressed will give me a headache and make my ears ring ( even with EarPro ) after a mag or two with a regular muzzle device . You can get blast comps ( SLR makes a nice one $$ ) that directs the blast away from the shooter . I put one on my brother's 10.5" Pistol and it's not bad to shoot . As far as not shouldering the brace no LEO will hassle you , I've shot mine and my brother his  numerous times with Leo's that my brother works with and not 1 has said a thing .
Interesting.  I never noticed how load mine was compared to my ar rifles,  I use Walker Silencers.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline NWShooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RockyMountain Elk foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, NRA.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 06:09:24 PM »
The SB Tactical AR Pistol brace can be placed against the should. The ATF sent SB Tactical a letter stating such. The brace just cannot be modified in any way or the strap completely removed. This letter only covers the SB braces. It is not a “Blanket” letter covering all AR braces. SB Tactical went at them with attorneys.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/blog/sb-tactical-announces-reversal-atf-open-letter-use-sb-tactical-pistol-stabilizing-braces/
A empty vessel makes the most noise.

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »
The SB Tactical AR Pistol brace can be placed against the should. The ATF sent SB Tactical a letter stating such. The brace just cannot be modified in any way or the strap completely removed. This letter only covers the SB braces. It is not a “Blanket” letter covering all AR braces. SB Tactical went at them with attorneys.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/blog/sb-tactical-announces-reversal-atf-open-letter-use-sb-tactical-pistol-stabilizing-braces/
And the SB Tacticals are the nicest braces on the market . I have an SBA3 and we put an SBA4 on my brother's.  I had a Kac blade before and it sukd .
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 06:58:53 PM »
  I had a Kac blade before and it sukd .

:yeah:

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 07:32:30 PM »
"Pretty sure it has to come from the manufacturer as a pistol in order for it not to be classified as a SBR."

If the lower was purchased as a complete rifle or rifle lower then it can't be made into a pistol. If the lower was purchased as a pistol lower or a striped lower purchased as a "other" then you can build it as a pistol without issue. You must also stay under 26" from the end of the muzzle threads to the end of the buffer tube otherwise it would be a firearm. Your muzzle devise and brace are not factored into that length unless permanently attached, pinned muzzle device for instance. You can't use a vertical fore grip, but you can use a angled for grip. If you do some searching you can find all of the specs that it has to fit into to be a pistol, or what you need to do to register it as a sbr. There is some risky gray area on what is defined as a firearm and how your gun might be looked at if enforcement ever decided to take issue with it if it is more than 26". My 5.56 10.5" barrel is 25.5" oal and works very well suppressed or unsuppressed. If you went with a 300blk you could go 7.5 or 8.5 but guys have mixed reliability under 10.5 with a 5.56. Just my experience with them anyway.
Mine is set up similar to the pic Russ posted. It uses the kak super tube and blade brace. The newer sba 3 and sba 4 braces use a carbine buffer tube and you can adjust the "length of pull" on your brace. There are some good youtube videos that explain the differences between the two a little easier to understand than what the atf paper reads. I would still recommend building a pistol instead of a sbr just because it's less of a hassle.
This covers legalities pretty thouroughly👍
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2020, 07:36:45 PM »
I would still recommend building a pistol instead of a sbr just because it's less of a hassle.

Also because you can carry it loaded in your vehicle

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 11:14:59 PM »
Thanks again for all the info guys. When I do build one it’ll definitely be the pistol route with the SBA4 brace. In the middle of building a rifle so as soon as till be building a pistol.

Offline NWShooter

• Hunter
  • Groups: RockyMountain Elk foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, NRA.
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 11:49:51 PM »
I would still recommend building a pistol instead of a sbr just because it's less of a hassle.

Also because you can carry it loaded in your vehicle

I completely agree. I keep a 12.5” 6.8 SPC, built of a 80% lower with a SBA3 brace and a LAW folder. Gassed up in the truck at all times. Makes for a small package and the 95gr Barnes TTSX’s are wicked in short barrels.
A empty vessel makes the most noise.

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Offline STEVO85

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »
Nwshooter brings up another aspect in the measurement of your pistol. If you use a folding adapter for your buffer tube then your length is measured with the buffer in the folded position. Therefore you could run a little longer barrel if you wanted.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 11:48:34 AM »
I actually prefer the cheek brace over the blade.

The blast on the AR pistol isn't that bad if you are outside. I wouldn't go to 7.5" with 223 like someone else said though.

Fun stuff

10.5 with a jcomp
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:06:12 PM by konradcountry »

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 12:17:55 PM »
SBA3 tough to beat!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
SBA3 tough to beat!
Yep, all my AR pistols have wear an SBA3

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)