collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The wait begins  (Read 25579 times)

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: The wait begins
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »
I don't know that this is your problem but VLD type bullets have a much different nose profile than other bullets so it's possible for a lighter weight bullet but with a much less sloping, non VLD type profile, to actually come up with a shorter OAL because a more stubby-ish profile will contact the lands sooner where as a lot of the VLD type will go up inside the throat area before it touches anything.  Hopefully that makes sense.   

Did you have something like a Wyatt's extended mag box installed, sounds like maybe you did?

Nobody likes spending any more money than they have to but since this is a SA WSM build, IMO, you should have considered going with Wyatt's Outdoor SA Mid length kit in this build.  Yes, it would have cost a little more but it would have allowed you to stretch things out to an OAL of 3.200 and based on the conversation I had with Karl back on page 2 these mid length kits are working/feeding very well.  That's not to say what you have won't work but it would have allowed you more flexibility with a SA WSM build.

Remember, they can always go in and add more freebore to get the OAL length you want but unless you plan to single feed you'll also always be limited by magazine length.

Offline dmoua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2020, 06:51:15 PM »
I don't know that this is your problem but VLD type bullets have a much different nose profile than other bullets so it's possible for a lighter weight bullet but with a much less sloping, non VLD type profile, to actually come up with a shorter OAL because a more stubby-ish profile will contact the lands sooner where as a lot of the VLD type will go up inside the throat area before it touches anything.  Hopefully that makes sense.   

Did you have something like a Wyatt's extended mag box installed, sounds like maybe you did?

Nobody likes spending any more money than they have to but since this is a SA WSM build, IMO, you should have considered going with Wyatt's Outdoor SA Mid length kit in this build.  Yes, it would have cost a little more but it would have allowed you to stretch things out to an OAL of 3.200 and based on the conversation I had with Karl back on page 2 these mid length kits are working/feeding very well.  That's not to say what you have won't work but it would have allowed you more flexibility with a SA WSM build.

Remember, they can always go in and add more freebore to get the OAL length you want but unless you plan to single feed you'll also always be limited by magazine length.

I must have confused myself when he said to throat it for 215’s knowing  I was going to run 185’s in case I wanted to run something bigger. I thought throated for a heavier bullet means I would have more room to mess with the 185’s but apparently it’s the opposiste.

I have his 3” mag box installed but with the 185’s right now touching the lands the loaded round is way shorter than SAAMI spec with hardly any meat left on the ogive to measure.
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
I wonder if it was set up to use 215s at mag length and be close to the lands as opposed to being set up to use 215s long?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »
You have any spent brass and bullets and a comparator you can measure 215s with? 

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2020, 07:16:33 PM »
I wonder if it was set up to use 215s at mag length and be close to the lands as opposed to being set up to use 215s long?

I don’t know. But as of right now there is no room to seat the 185’s any longer. Shawn has emailed me back so I will get the rifle back to him to get this corrected. Not his fault, communication error.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
You have any spent brass and bullets and a comparator you can measure 215s with?

I don’t have any 215’s.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »

I must have confused myself when he said to throat it for 215’s knowing  I was going to run 185’s in case I wanted to run something bigger. I thought throated for a heavier bullet means I would have more room to mess with the 185’s but apparently it’s the opposiste.

I have his 3” mag box installed but with the 185’s right now touching the lands the loaded round is way shorter than SAAMI spec with hardly any meat left on the ogive to measure.

I was referring to, possibly, why the 150 Hornady and 180 Winchester rounds you couldn't get the bolt to close.  If those bullets aren't a VLD profile it's possibly, due to their less sleek profile, they'd touch the lands much sooner and not allow you to close the bolt.  It's also possible the length from base to shoulder on the brass is longer on those other two cases but if they're factory loaded ammo that stuff is usually pretty undersized so it's doubtful but certainly not impossible.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2020, 10:06:17 PM »

I don’t have any 215’s.

If they worked that would be the simple solution - pm if you need a few to test with.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2020, 10:57:19 PM »

I was referring to, possibly, why the 150 Hornady and 180 Winchester rounds you couldn't get the bolt to close.  If those bullets aren't a VLD profile it's possibly, due to their less sleek profile, they'd touch the lands much sooner and not allow you to close the bolt.  It's also possible the length from base to shoulder on the brass is longer on those other two cases but if they're factory loaded ammo that stuff is usually pretty undersized so it's doubtful but certainly not impossible.

I understand the different nose profile of the other two bullets not being as slim as the VLD type bullets and that they may be touching the lands before I can close the bolt.

I was under the impression that the 215 are basically a bigger version of the 185's so being that he suggested we throat for the 215 VLD's then I would have plenty of seating depth to mess with on the 185's. Maybe I am not understanding something with this whole custom build. I just know that what it is now won't work at all with 185's.

I don’t have any 215’s.

If they worked that would be the simple solution - pm if you need a few to test with.

Thank you, I really appreciate the offer. I will talk to Shawn tomorrow and see what my options are and go from there.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2020, 12:01:19 AM »
You can always seat whatever bullet you want at whatever OAL you'd like to run and make up a dummer round then take that with you and they'll match the throat to your dummer round.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2020, 12:25:57 AM »
You can always seat whatever bullet you want at whatever OAL you'd like to run and make up a dummer round then take that with you and they'll match the throat to your dummer round.

Good to know. I don't have a set COAL but I just want to maximize the use of the 3" magazine. Right now at 2.148" CBTO is jammed right into the lands which is just whack. If anything I will just have him throat it for the 185's if that's still even possible.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2020, 05:56:08 AM »
I’d make a dummy round with your 185’s about .030” shorter than mag length and have him throat it for that.  Will give you space to chase the lands and cycle well from your mag
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2020, 08:25:53 AM »
I’d make a dummy round with your 185’s about .030” shorter than mag length and have him throat it for that.  Will give you space to chase the lands and cycle well from your mag

I just talked to Shawn, very helpful and explained what he did. However I don’t see myself shooting 215’s ever so I will be dropping it off to have it throated for 185’s. I will make a dummy round before heading to his shop.

Thanks for all the helpful replies gents.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »

I just talked to Shawn, very helpful and explained what he did. However I don’t see myself shooting 215’s ever so I will be dropping it off to have it throated for 185’s. I will make a dummy round before heading to his shop.

Thanks for all the helpful replies gents.
Goad hes gettin you fixed up. Those 185s are a good match for the wsm.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2020, 11:07:17 AM »
Current WSM setup is a Wyatts long box and SAAMI chamber, 2.260" base to the ogive with 185s and h4831sc at 2995. You'll have lots of room for those 185s in that long box  :tup:

185s perform super nice. I've shot several big game animals from 30 yards to much, much farther and they haven't disappointed.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]