collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chelan Butte A - Any Ram  (Read 9168 times)

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Chelan Butte A - Any Ram
« on: June 10, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
Hello there! 

My name is Kevin and I drew a sheep tag!  :drool: 

My buddy sent me a text that he struck out on drawing anything so I checked out mine.  I looked at my one of my boys' account first and came up empty. 

Mine was next, not selected, not selected, not selected not selected all the way to the bottom....selected, look to the left, what for? SHEEP ANY RAM!!!! What?!!  No way!!  I was in my office and I slammed my hand on my desk and hollered so loud and scared a couple guys I was working with, lol.

Then it was phone calls and texts for the next couple of hours. I didn't even have a chance to check my other boy's account until a couple of hours later. Needless to say I'm excited.

If you all have any input, I'm all ears.  I know I'm not a regular contributor but I've appreciated this forum over the years, yeah I guess I'm one of those guys... but hopefully you'll forgive me  :)

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Chelan Butte A - Any Ram
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »
Congrats!  Photos, photos, photos!
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 04:04:31 PM »
Congratulations! How many points?

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 04:11:47 PM »
 :tup: Congrats on your draw!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »
Congratulations! How many points?

Only 7 points.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 04:24:21 PM »
You should be able to find some up there. Tagging along.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 04:24:38 PM »
10 years ago I drew the same tag.  What an awesome hunt it was.  You are in for a really good sheep hunt.  Congrats!

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 04:27:46 PM »
Congrats!
IAFF #3728

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »
Congrats!  I also put in for that as my first choice with also only 7 points.  Lucky guy!  Good to hear you can win without 25 years of points!   Please keep us posted on how that trip goes. 

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 04:37:49 PM »
Congratulations!!!

I am 100% jealous.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 04:48:31 PM »
That's an awesome tag for sure!

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 07:14:09 PM »
congrats

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 08:03:33 PM »
Huge congrats.   You’ll have a great hunt :tup:

Shawn and I helping a hunter a few years ago.   
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:49:56 PM by Falcon »
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 08:44:26 AM »
 Congratulations! I sorta did the same thing on my 2006 Clemans B any ram. We were checking at work and I slammed my hand down on table so hard I thought the tips of my fingers were gonna pop. You’ll have a great hunt! We camped at Mud Lk. and took my ram in Sanford Canyon. I think thats the names of the places. They are hard to judge for sure. I spent a bundle on high-end optics for the hunt. They were (and still are) worth every penny IMHO. I’m sure it doesn’t need to be said BUT now is the time to start practicing: judging, shooting (don’t forget angles), photo posing etc. Any questions feel free to ask. Exciting for sure.

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »
That unit holds different groups of sheep make sure you find a nice ram before you squeeze the trigger. I think there's some tag holder videos out there. Don't be afraid to hunt via boat

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 04:31:45 PM »
Huge congrats :tup: Cant wait to hear about the hunt
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 11:52:22 AM »
Thanks everyone!

This is the first real premium tag that I've drawn. It's interesting the thoughts that go through your head, even in the first few days. 

I've done quite a bit of e-scouting and research the last couple of days, these are some of my initial thoughts which seem to be pretty common:

• Should I attempt to make this happen with my bow?  I'd love to give it a try but I understand how hard it is to commit to that when you see a ram you want to take if you have a rifle at your disposal.
  • How much help should I accept/seek out?  I tend to be a self sufficient type that likes to do it himself but I also like to think I'm not bullheaded and can take the advice of others.  I really appreciate the sentiment of Gringo31 on his 2016 hunt.
  • What caliber of animal should I hold out for?  I'm not the guy that has to have the biggest ram as measured by inches.  That's cool of course if it happens to be but to me it's more about the experience and how best to enjoy this gift that I've been given, well paid for and drawn I guess. :)
  • How do I even judge inches on sheep? See above, how much does that matter to me?  Regardless of that answer, I'll dig into it and learn.  Any resources you'd suggest?
  • How do I still try to fit in my other hunting that I look forward to all year, especially chasing elk with my bow?  For me it's pretty much out of state every year because I generally put in for the east side draw units. Of course I understand this is a OIL type of tag and want to give it the respect and time it deserves.

These are just some of the things bouncing around in my mind.  I appreciate those of you that have reached out so far on this thread and also by DM. I look forward to getting up soon to get a lay of the country and get my eyes on some sheep!

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »
Should I attempt to make this happen with my bow?  I'd love to give it a try but I understand how hard it is to commit to that when you see a ram you want to take if you have a rifle at your disposal.

It's a long season if you have the time I would try with the bow 1st and than switch to the rifle when I becomes crunch time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2020, 01:08:34 PM »
Yes try it with your bow.
If and when I draw I will try with my bow first

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2020, 07:19:35 PM »
I would definitely take any and all advice that is given, there is a lot of very generous and knowledgeable people right here that I am sure are offering advice in your PM's right now. A sheep tag is a big deal! There are a ton of resources that you can help educate yourself on sheep behavior, judging, etc. a simple google search will provide a plethora of books, articles, videos, etc.

Here's a YouTube Link to Jay Scotts page, he has some good resources on judging and scoring and he's not a blow hard, he's got the experience to back it up.

When it comes to the hunt I would say choosing your crew is the most important part. I've been very lucky to be a part of some special hunts and the thing that made the hunt so special, were the people. Choose people with good attitudes, who are mentally strong and who will give this hunt the effort it deserves. Make sure that you portray your expectations to the people that you do involve. A lot of people will be inviting themselves along and asking to tag along and help, but be sure to assemble the right team. You'll only have this opportunity once. The main objective should be enjoying the hunt from this moment until you are driving home with a cooler full of sheep meat. Its an opportunity a lot of us dream about, a lot! Slow down, soak it up, find the sheep worthy of the tag and take lots of photos.

I would definitely be trying to contact past hunters, talking to biologists, and several of the more knowledgeable sheep guys and locals that watch the sheep all year, right here on the forum. Then be getting boots on the ground and inventorying rams.

Enjoy the ride! We're all extremely jealous.
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline liljozie495

• Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited RMEF NRA
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2020, 09:07:13 PM »
No offense but if your worried about time invested into a ONCE IN A LIFE TIME tag then you should probably surrender it other then that.... being I have a lot of good hunts myself this year... if I was in your shoes, I’d spend every possible second I can in there finding a big ram! Just my  :twocents: and yes I’d try to shoot the biggest ram you can to be honest.... you only get to do it once in WA and possibly ever  :dunno:

Can’t wait to see what you turn up and good luck man  :tup:
Boom boom boom...

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
No offense but if your worried about time invested into a ONCE IN A LIFE TIME tag then you should probably surrender it other then that.... being I have a lot of good hunts myself this year... if I was in your shoes, I’d spend every possible second I can in there finding a big ram! Just my  :twocents: and yes I’d try to shoot the biggest ram you can to be honest.... you only get to do it once in WA and possibly ever  :dunno:

😅

I thought long and hard about it but I don't think I'll be surrendering my tag.

I also don't have any intentions of shooting a dink.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I was just giving a window into my thoughts. Just being transparent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »
I would definitely take any and all advice that is given, there is a lot of very generous and knowledgeable people right here that I am sure are offering advice in your PM's right now. A sheep tag is a big deal! There are a ton of resources that you can help educate yourself on sheep behavior, judging, etc. a simple google search will provide a plethora of books, articles, videos, etc.

Here's a YouTube Link to Jay Scotts page, he has some good resources on judging and scoring and he's not a blow hard, he's got the experience to back it up.

When it comes to the hunt I would say choosing your crew is the most important part. I've been very lucky to be a part of some special hunts and the thing that made the hunt so special, were the people. Choose people with good attitudes, who are mentally strong and who will give this hunt the effort it deserves. Make sure that you portray your expectations to the people that you do involve. A lot of people will be inviting themselves along and asking to tag along and help, but be sure to assemble the right team. You'll only have this opportunity once. The main objective should be enjoying the hunt from this moment until you are driving home with a cooler full of sheep meat. Its an opportunity a lot of us dream about, a lot! Slow down, soak it up, find the sheep worthy of the tag and take lots of photos.

I would definitely be trying to contact past hunters, talking to biologists, and several of the more knowledgeable sheep guys and locals that watch the sheep all year, right here on the forum. Then be getting boots on the ground and inventorying rams.

Enjoy the ride! We're all extremely jealous.

Thanks Duckhunter!  Yes, I've been watching a bunch of Jay Scott stuff including that video you linked.
Very good input in regards to the hunt, the crew and doing it for yourself and not others. I
I appreciate the input and support!

Offline JWBINX

• Scout
  • Groups: LIFE NRA, RMEF
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 07:21:20 PM »
All other hunting (Elk,Deer, Etc) should be be placed on hold till your
finished ( Ram on the ground) hunting that ram tag! :tup:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
Take your bow, and your rifle on your back.  Shoot any ram you look at and would be happy with.  OIL means you have exactly one shot at it, so do what feels right.  They guys buying governors tags can put a number up, most of the rest of us should calibrate our expectations with the understanding we will have one tag.

If you would be happy with tag soup, hold out.  If not, adjust accordingly.  Nobody can tell you what hunt you should have.

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 07:50:09 PM »
All other hunting (Elk,Deer, Etc) should be be placed on hold till your
finished ( Ram on the ground) hunting that ram tag! :tup:

I agree. 

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2020, 07:53:53 PM »
Take your bow, and your rifle on your back.  Shoot any ram you look at and would be happy with.  OIL means you have exactly one shot at it, so do what feels right.  They guys buying governors tags can put a number up, most of the rest of us should calibrate our expectations with the understanding we will have one tag.

If you would be happy with tag soup, hold out.  If not, adjust accordingly.  Nobody can tell you what hunt you should have.

Good input. This kind of stuff is helpful. When you're in this position it's hard to know what to think sometimes so it's nice to get some good advice.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 12:38:00 PM »
The core of the sheep habitat is the south side of Chelan Butte and approximated by the wildlife area boundaries.  It's one of the most doable areas to hunt DIY with minimal help/info if that is your inclination.Good luck, pleae share a writeup of your hunt and of course lots of pictures.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline hunterednate

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2020, 01:04:02 PM »

😅

I thought long and hard about it but I don't think I'll be surrendering my tag.

I also don't have any intentions of shooting a dink.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I was just giving a window into my thoughts. Just being transparent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I feel you. It feels really weird to suspend all the other hunts you enjoy doing year after year to focus on a new species and new area. I felt the same tension when I drew my WA goat tag last year.

But....I don't regret for a moment focusing on that hunt and that hunt alone. If you end up shooting a smaller ram or eating tag soup, at least you'll know it wasn't because you spent time hunting elk when you could've been scouting for your OIL tag. You can put your mind at rest knowing that you gave your best regardless of the outcome.

And congrats on the tag!!! You'll have a blast.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »
I have seen them from my boat on the river.

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2020, 02:54:53 PM »
No such thing as tag soup on chelan butte sheep hunts...Something very bad would have to happen like antifa taking over chelan county....

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2020, 08:12:49 AM »
Just wondering how this hunt is going, if you have been able to get out yet.  PM if you would like

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
Saw guys posted across river on highway with spotters out. Not. Sure if it was this hunter, but the typical way this area is hunted. Wishing good luck! Hopefully pics soon!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2020, 07:31:48 PM »
Well??

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2020, 06:29:13 AM »
Have you already taken him to the Taxi?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »
Have you already taken him to the Taxi?
I've still got his skull and horns but the taxi has my cape.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:48:34 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]