collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Norway Pass/Mt Marg Permits?  (Read 4512 times)

Offline furbearer365

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Norway Pass/Mt Marg Permits?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 07:40:12 PM »
I guess one question to be asked here is which way are you coming in from??  Coldwater, Hunters trail, Norway trail??  If you come in from Coldwater parking lot, there is no off trail access for the first 4.5 miles. Meaning you can technically hunt from the parking lot, but you aren't allowed to step off the trail till the back end of the lake, which is 4.5 miles. So in order for you to legally hunt that first 4.5, you would need your bull to expire literally on the trail. When I hunted it, I boated across, stashed my boat and motor, and hunted above Snow Lake, closer to Black Mnt.  Just something to think about

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »
I guess one question to be asked here is which way are you coming in from??  Coldwater, Hunters trail, Norway trail??  If you come in from Coldwater parking lot, there is no off trail access for the first 4.5 miles. Meaning you can technically hunt from the parking lot, but you aren't allowed to step off the trail till the back end of the lake, which is 4.5 miles. So in order for you to legally hunt that first 4.5, you would need your bull to expire literally on the trail. When I hunted it, I boated across, stashed my boat and motor, and hunted above Snow Lake, closer to Black Mnt.  Just something to think about

I don’t think the area along Coldwater is in the Elk Area.

You really have to get pretty close to Snow Lake before you’re really hunting. The hike in gives you a good look at some country on the Whittier Pass side of the trail, but nothing in the Norway Pass side until the last approach to Snow Lake.

We took a boat across Coldwater- it saved some energy. But with the electrics only (even running “twins”), it didn’t save much time. That trail along the lake is pretty flat and you could cover the length of the lake pretty quickly if you’re in shape.

But on the way out, it was pretty nice to sit and relax while the motors did the work!!

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 08:38:01 PM »
Maybe use a boat to shuttle supplies in for a week?

Offline Reinsurance shooter

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 02:05:16 PM »
I drew modern cow in the unit... as luck has it I also drew hangman antlered moose. Moose is priority one but if the lucky stars are out... I am keenly interested in following this thread.  Until then though,  I will put in the scouting and prep for elk - as the key to luck is putting yourself on a position to take advantage of it.

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2020, 02:24:20 PM »
I drew modern cow in the unit... as luck has it I also drew hangman antlered moose. Moose is priority one but if the lucky stars are out... I am keenly interested in following this thread.  Until then though,  I will put in the scouting and prep for elk - as the key to luck is putting yourself on a position to take advantage of it.

Unless you’re looking for a grueling cow hunt with some awesome views, I would be hunting cows in a much different part of the elk area than I would be hunting bulls (think areas with easy vehicle access).

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2020, 02:41:37 PM »

Unless you’re looking for a grueling cow hunt with some awesome views, I would be hunting cows in a much different part of the elk area than I would be hunting bulls (think areas with easy vehicle access).

S :yeah: And congrats on the moose tag! Keep us posted how it goes.

Offline Reinsurance shooter

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2020, 04:37:28 PM »

I hear you there. I had the upper smith creek is about 5 years ago.  Spent 5 days up there camping with my brother off a spur road. I just love the scenery and enjoy eating elk. A bull would be that much cooler, but hell, I am fine just getting in a hunt and not wading through a sea of blaze orange. 

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 09:53:45 AM »
You would think that WDFW knows this can be an issue and reserve some camping areas for the hunters during season.  Of course they have to make it ridiculous to hunt even if you draw the tag.  What do they want you to do, go reserve the spots in case you draw every 20 years.
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »

I don’t think the area along Coldwater is in the Elk Area.

You really have to get pretty close to Snow Lake before you’re really hunting. The hike in gives you a good look at some country on the Whittier Pass side of the trail, but nothing in the Norway Pass side until the last approach to Snow Lake.

We took a boat across Coldwater- it saved some energy. But with the electrics only (even running “twins”), it didn’t save much time. That trail along the lake is pretty flat and you could cover the length of the lake pretty quickly if you’re in shape.

But on the way out, it was pretty nice to sit and relax while the motors did the work!!

I believe they changed the areas up a bit back there...along the lake is lewit now until you get to the back end

Know the boundaries for sure

A mtn bike may be a good mlde of transportation to the back of the lake also...esp if the weather gets cranking

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]