collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Norway Pass/Mt Marg Permits?  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Norway Pass/Mt Marg Permits?
« on: June 11, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
So, drew the Norway Pass archery permit. I know a fair amount about this area. Have hiked it on and off and hunted it before (90's). So I basically know what the deal is.

So, after finding out I drew the tag I check the camping permits required for the Mt. Margaret backcountry during the hunt dates and they are basically...gone!

I can think of a couple alternates, none as good as actually overnighting in the area legally.

Anyone have any insights? Just didn't foresee dealing with this.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline sagemd

• Hunter
  • Groups: 98446
Re: Norway Pass/Mt Marg Permits?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »
So you drew a tag for Mt. Margaret back country  and now you can't get a back country camping permit?
That's no good. How are you supposed the hunt a back country if you can't camp there?
I applied for the hunt.  Don't know what I would do.
Sorry I'm not much help.
Let us know if you find a answer.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 10:05:39 AM »
So you drew a tag for Mt. Margaret back country  and now you can't get a back country camping permit?
That's no good. How are you supposed the hunt a back country if you can't camp there?

Yes. That's the scenario.

Online luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 10:10:41 AM »

They will send you a packet for the hunt with a contact.  I would just talk with them.  I'm 99% sure they'll let you camp in there.  You might try an email to Holman, Eric W (DFW) <Eric.Holman@dfw.wa.gov>  or    "Stephens, Nicholle R (DFW)" <Nicholle.Stephens@dfw.wa.gov> for clarification.  They were my contacts for my recent Pumice Plains hunt.  I'm not sure who the best contact is for the NFS there, but they would also be able to instruct appropriately.

You can also take a camper into the parking lot as a base camp (or at least I always have in the Windy Ridge parking area without issue).

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 10:18:04 AM »

They will send you a packet for the hunt with a contact.  I would just talk with them.  I'm 99% sure they'll let you camp in there.  You might try an email to Holman, Eric W (DFW) <Eric.Holman@dfw.wa.gov>  or    "Stephens, Nicholle R (DFW)" <Nicholle.Stephens@dfw.wa.gov> for clarification.  They were my contacts for my recent Pumice Plains hunt.  I'm not sure who the best contact is for the NFS there, but they would also be able to instruct appropriately.

You can also take a camper into the parking lot as a base camp (or at least I always have in the Windy Ridge parking area without issue).

Thanks. That's very helpful. :tup:

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:07:45 PM »

They will send you a packet for the hunt with a contact.  I would just talk with them.  I'm 99% sure they'll let you camp in there.  You might try an email to Holman, Eric W (DFW) <Eric.Holman@dfw.wa.gov>  or "Stephens, Nicholle R (DFW)" <Nicholle.Stephens@dfw.wa.gov> for clarification.  They were my contacts for my recent Pumice Plains hunt.  I'm not sure who the best contact is for the NFS there, but they would also be able to instruct appropriately.

I drew the ML tag last year and ran into similar scenarios. I noticed this year even fewer campsites were available a month ago.

WDFW Doesn’t have anything to do with the land management there, and in the emails I sent last year I didn’t get the feeling those that do manage it were the type to just “let” you do something outside of the rules for everyone else.

The letter WDFW sends out reiterates the rules in place for the Backcountry- no stock animals, no fires, no camping out of designated areas, etc.

Last year the weather was poor for the first few days, and although reserves, none of the camps were in use. By the weekend, the weather got sunny and there were lots of hikers in there. I also scouted it a few times around the archery season and there were plenty of non-hunting backpackers. So I wouldn’t count on the sites being randomly open.

If you have spent quite a bit of time in there, you might also recall that there are fairly limited places that would be very inviting to setup a camp outside of the designated areas. I imagine if you did that, you’d be wanting to take down camp every morning and set it up every evening to avoid issue.

I hope you are able to figure something out. It’s a great hunt, but a brutal one. And it would be even more brutal if you were having to trek into the hunting territory daily!

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 06:39:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

So far, it doesn't look like I should expect any accommodations to be attached to the hunting permit.

Still checking options.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:01:02 AM by Bullkllr »

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 07:28:04 AM »
Just camp, and if stopped,  say you are protesting.  The state won't do anything.

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 09:26:36 AM »
The F&G has nothing to do with the land inside Norway Pass. If you're trying to gain camping access through them, it wont happen, and there's really not much do other than getting a camping permit. Like was said earlier, unbelieveable hunt but brutal is an understatement if you're not careful. Have fun and I hope you have packers lined up

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
there's really not much do other than getting a camping permit.

Thanks for the input.

Right now that's the fundamental problem- there are none!

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 11:35:46 AM »
My understanding is If you don’t print out your permit to camp a week before your trip it is invalid. Even if you paid for it. worst case double check the sites a week out or so.   

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 12:02:10 PM »
I ran into this problem with my goat hunt in the unit last year. Using the trailhead as a base camp is probably your best bet. The bio, Eric Holman, is a great guy, but he won't be able to secure you a campsite - that is all run through the USFS. The good news is for that archery tag, you should be able to run into elk within 2-4 miles of the trailhead. PM me if you want some info where I was seeing elk in that unit in Sept last year.

Online luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 02:23:36 PM »
I ran into this problem with my goat hunt in the unit last year. Using the trailhead as a base camp is probably your best bet. The bio, Eric Holman, is a great guy, but he won't be able to secure you a campsite - that is all run through the USFS. The good news is for that archery tag, you should be able to run into elk within 2-4 miles of the trailhead. PM me if you want some info where I was seeing elk in that unit in Sept last year.

Sorry, I guess i gave some bad advice.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 02:39:09 PM »

Sorry, I guess i gave some bad advice.
Not bad advice. Seems like because of the limited "Mt.Marg Backcountry" camping they manage that differently than the Smith Creek and Pumice Plain hunts. Unfortunately those camping permits are popular with many hikers- not just hunters. Didn't figure they'd be gone. Anyway, thanks.  I'm still figuring to make the most out of it.

Offline HikerHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 04:08:53 PM »
I would keep checking to see if someone cancels their camping permit, but its probably not likely.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]