collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 17 year wait {nooksack archery }  (Read 15821 times)

Offline haftard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: 17 year wait {nooksack archery }
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 07:38:19 PM »
I had the muzzleloader tag last year. I will say this about it. It realy sucks trying to hunt it when the tribe is driving around with rifles. Ibwould stay off of the spi and timber companie grounds. Pm if you wanna chat about it

Offline jk78

• Tracker
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 08:50:53 PM »
It was a good weekend for some gear test and scout of the unit. Found a few items that need to be replaced. Great country all kinds of weather and some steep terrain!  Hiked up hill a lot and reached several possible hunting locations far from a road and did I say steep. The views in between clouds were worth the hike. Early blackberries are ripe and saw bear sign often and a nice color phase bear at 40 yards eating away every so often sniffing the air smelling for my sweat soaked gear I had the wind and just enjoyed watching. Saw elk in the lowlands and some behind gates even several  mountain goats in different locations. I hiked in longer than I planned but made it work out. Looking forward to spending more time in the unit and hoping for some better picture weather next time and a few more gear mods.  Big country and google doesn't give the area any justice. The valley is vast and the snow topped peaks plentiful. Ready to continue the search and find the rut grounds.

Offline jk78

• Tracker
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 08:07:15 AM »
I would expect that many members enjoy summer scouting and bear hunting this unit I can only imagine the amount of time in hours many have spent learning the terrain. Seems that many hours will be spent behind glass and hiking into remote locations way more than my boots and glass can get done before the aug opener. I am willing to hike, bike, or drive to check out possible leads on solid bulls and am asking for members to keep a eye out for the elk that live in those remote places this year . I have located several spots and some elk and will keep putting the work in. Good luck out there the bears need to be thinned out.

Offline jk78

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 07:08:19 AM »
Hot couple days in the unit. Very little animal movement except for the few golden hours of the days. Spent more time checking spots and looking over area and camera locations. Good luck bear hunters they are out eating  grass and berries! Look over those shady creek spots well lots of sign and tracks with bears still standing in them if your able to find the right creek/ drainage! The elk seemed to hide out in the endless thick and bed very early. Looks like a few wallows are starting to get worked over also. Life is returning to the higher country and berries are ripe down low also seemed to be a bumper crop with  size being way above average. 3000 /3500  The search continues.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 08:05:21 AM »
Good thread so far. Excited to follow along on the hunt. Throw a rifle on your back next scouting trip and thin the bears out a bit to help the elk herd out. Those berry bears are delicious!

Offline jk78

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2020, 06:18:33 PM »
Got out again for a few weekdays to see if the lack of people would increase animal movement. Wanting to look over a new basin but also checking camera cards in many other locations. Decided to hike in to check an area that had peaked some interest. The hike in took a few hours with my pack and gear light and slimline for a overnight trip. With high hopes of adding another spot to my list. The terrain proving to be a major challenge and elevation change plus big rock bluffs that would make packing elk a nightmare! I enjoyed the view saw goats and even a stud buck. The evening brought rain and clouds. I decided to push deeper back just to ease my mind that the herd wasnt 1 ridge over. The wet ground proved to be an issue as I tested my pack integrity while sliding down the hill 200 yards grabbing anything around. What a ride and pack held up great along with 3 other rides down hill. Thinking of some micro spikes the wet weather really changed the traction in steep terrain. Luckily no elk were seen or any sign. I had a short window of dry weather and packed up and headed out to check cameras. I made it to one and found someone had been in the area cutting trail and littering  not sure if they were planning on getting it later but it left in my pack. I am not having good luck with cameras this year or really ever with elk I get cards full on blacktail in other areas. I saw 2 more bears and one smaller than my dog that must have been lost. Seems there are many undercover hunters driving subaru or  not enough of us in the hills they drive those things everywhere amazing. Been hoping to find a pocket of elk that are often overlooked and receive less pressure.  Been fun spending time in the unit and hope to turn up a few solid bulls soon. Have the meeting to get the seirra key next weekend. 

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2020, 04:31:20 PM »
Got out again for a few weekdays to see if the lack of people would increase animal movement. Wanting to look over a new basin but also checking camera cards in many other locations. Decided to hike in to check an area that had peaked some interest. The hike in took a few hours with my pack and gear light and slimline for a overnight trip. With high hopes of adding another spot to my list. The terrain proving to be a major challenge and elevation change plus big rock bluffs that would make packing elk a nightmare! I enjoyed the view saw goats and even a stud buck. The evening brought rain and clouds. I decided to push deeper back just to ease my mind that the herd wasnt 1 ridge over. The wet ground proved to be an issue as I tested my pack integrity while sliding down the hill 200 yards grabbing anything around. What a ride and pack held up great along with 3 other rides down hill. Thinking of some micro spikes the wet weather really changed the traction in steep terrain. Luckily no elk were seen or any sign. I had a short window of dry weather and packed up and headed out to check cameras. I made it to one and found someone had been in the area cutting trail and littering  not sure if they were planning on getting it later but it left in my pack. I am not having good luck with cameras this year or really ever with elk I get cards full on blacktail in other areas. I saw 2 more bears and one smaller than my dog that must have been lost. Seems there are many undercover hunters driving subaru or  not enough of us in the hills they drive those things everywhere amazing. Been hoping to find a pocket of elk that are often overlooked and receive less pressure.  Been fun spending time in the unit and hope to turn up a few solid bulls soon. Have the meeting to get the seirra key next weekend.

Atleast you get your meeting. Probly just to your key. The Skagit river tag meeting was canceled. So far all i got is cows on my camera and deer and some racoon.

Offline overthefalls

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2020, 09:43:30 AM »
I was up high in Weyerhauser this weekend looking Blacktail and stumbled across the elk herd. 40 + cows/ calf's, several spike bulls and a 5x5 bull. Looks like they're feeding on fireweed, definitely glassable in the clear-cuts in the early morning/ evening if you get the right vantage point.

Offline jk78

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »
Spin 05 hope you find a decent bull down low this year. I have noticed a trend over the years of posters not following up on the forum. I will do my best to take everyone along on this hunt. I am a novice at best with the tech side of life. Out of respect for the people who have shared locations I will not include the areas but try to share the journey and hopefully success of a lifelong dream. I have come in contact with fellow hunters from this forum that share common interest and hunting areas. In a world fool of craziness meeting hunters who have shared spots, willingness to take time out of hunting or just there daily lives, even to help me pack a bull is truly humbling, I always thought like minded people were a dying breed. When were out hunting getting to know hunters doesnt always work out when trying to avoid each other.  Thank you to all who have helped and continue to help and to the forum for giving the resource! 12 days to opener and I feel like this is a dream and am going to wake up.  jk

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2020, 09:52:10 AM »
Thanks for the updates. Pulling for you!

Offline jk78

• Tracker
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2020, 10:22:34 AM »
Got the key to spi and getting ready to spend the next few days looking for a good bull.  Looking forward to this hunt and hunting the unit. I expect the first part of the season to be slow but welcome the mountain air. My list of things to do are all checked off and time to load up the gear and move to the 418. Good luck to the other 7 hunters!

Offline jk78

• Tracker
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2020, 09:51:29 AM »
Finding shooter is one thing getting a shot another! Seen over 20 bulls and 1 shooter lots of eyes and noses cows coming within 5 yards and bull in the middle. Rut activity is slow so far but have heard Some bugles and herd talk. Should get better as the days to September are getting close. The view is great and haven't seen another elk hunter yet. The bear's in an area I can't hunt them seem to be plentiful and big. I have been eating berries in the shade and so have they. I have found solo hunting can be great except for spending time with friends on these long days. Jk

Offline Bowhunter3

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 10:03:47 AM »
Great update  :tup:

Offline jbeaumont21

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 10:14:42 AM »