collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tragedy Averted (everyone please read)  (Read 108782 times)

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Tragedy Averted (everyone please read)
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
Great write up man. I am sure who ever sold it feels very bad. Probably didnt even know it was blocked or he probably wouldnt have ever sold it. Specially knowing it was going into a little kids hands.

But thanks for sharing the story. Good read!

:dunno:
:chuckle:
:hello:

This is all a little confusing to me ... what are you guy's trying to say???
Rob I am glad shorty was not hurt over this... I would be out for someone's a$$  >:( and I still may be!!! but I'm glad you guy's are smart enough to examine a weapon before shooting it! You can never be too careful!  ;) Nice job brother!!!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2009, 11:32:18 PM »
Alright lets get something straight FOR EVERYONE!.... >:(  >:(

What they are trying to say was that I was the one that traded it to Killbilly over 6 to 8+ months ago and he then sold it to huntnphool another several months after i gave it to him........and i shot that gun probably two weeks prior to me giving it to killbilly and posted on in this site about how sweet of a shooter it was.....some of you guys replied.......that was the last time it got shot in my possession........I was the last person to shoot it before giving it over to killbilly and at the time i didn't even own a 22 rifle........i sold it to catwithboost probably a year before that at our first ever HUNT_WA meet and greet..... and now the 17HMR has switched hands 2 more times since i owned it.......So its my fault naturally. No one knows how or when it got there....

Regardless or not i know that I wasn't the one who put the 22 bullet in that 17HMR....But obviously while it went through possesion it got a 22 round shot through it some how. and could have hurt someone very bad....Could have! thank God it didn't......... that being said having a 22 shell lodged inside the receiver of the rifle probably wouldn't have ever allowed for a 17HMR round to even be chambered....let alone i have no idea how a magazine rifle would have ever chambered a 22 shell....who ever put the 22 shell in it would have had to have loaded it by hand with the magazine loaded. So to me this was no accident. or the person who did it just didn't know any better.....

BUT IF YOU LOOK AT BOTH BULLETS THERE ALOT DIFFERENT.......ALOT!

All i was saying with that post........is that i feel bad that this all happened and that i am relieved that no one got hurt. NO ONE! and that i have a little more common sense to give a hazardous weapon away to a friend....which killbilly is, hes like a crazy uncle to me.....specially with the potentail that i thought he would have shot it.....that would have been terrible!

So just like what huntnphool said..... This was a big mistake on someones part....(SOMEONES.....DONT KNOW WHO!)....But for future lessons we should all be aware of what happened and check the barrel for obstructions.....

(Please dint harass me over this....If you have comments or questions you can PM me.....)

This was the last time i shot my rifle before i traded it to killbilly. Almost a year ago in June.
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,7686.0.html

and again thanks God no one got hurt.....! Specially the little one....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:18:18 AM by Coasthunterjay »

Offline Aneoakleaf

• Aneoakleaf
  • Longhunter
  • I Hunt therefore I am an endangered species
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2009, 12:29:31 AM »
I Hope Shorty is enjoying her gun by now. It seams this gun has passed threw several hands in the last couple years and somehow none of the owners has an idea how or when the gun got pluged. The bottom line is ...someone who never had permission to handle the gun HAS handeled it and hand loaded it with the wrong shell. Now having had 5 kids ...I can tell you that one of them sometime is going to and did in this house , have his friends shooting guns here without permission. There was no amo unlocked. they brought their own. It can happen anywhere unless there's a trigger lock. This case was long before the locks came along. I hope you all will use the locks and check ALL your guns before using them.  Thank God for the big things in life! ;)
Christian,
Floral Designer...retired,
Mother, grandmother, Writer, Photographer ,
Bowhunter Education State Chairman
wife, hunting & fishing  partner
Hunter, Fly Fisherman,partner, Wife

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2009, 01:54:20 AM »
 :dunno:  :chuckle:  :hello: ..........  :dunno: Rob I'm sorry this happened! I'm trying to figure this out, maybe some one of these 3 can add something here?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2009, 06:00:21 AM »
I Hope Shorty is enjoying her gun by now. It seams this gun has passed threw several hands in the last couple years and somehow none of the owners has an idea how or when the gun got pluged. The bottom line is ...someone who never had permission to handle the gun HAS handeled it and hand loaded it with the wrong shell. Now having had 5 kids ...I can tell you that one of them sometime is going to and did in this house , have his friends shooting guns here without permission. There was no amo unlocked. they brought their own. It can happen anywhere unless there's a trigger lock. This case was long before the locks came along. I hope you all will use the locks and check ALL your guns before using them.  Thank God for the big things in life! ;)

Well said.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2009, 03:32:13 PM »

I was the last person to shoot it before giving it over to killbilly and at the time I didn't even own a 22 rifle.

Yeah but I thought Killbilly had loaned you one of his .22's to shoot after your shoulder surgery.  You didn't have any .22 bullets left over after returning it?

No one except you had access to the .17?  A buddy of yours didn't decide to borrow the gun and put the round through it?  With out thinking you grabbed a hand full of shells and loaded them into the magazine?

and now the 17HMR has switched hands 2 more times since I owned it.......

Regardless or not i know that I wasn't the one who put the 22 bullet in that 17HMR....But obviously while it went through possesion it got a 22 round shot through it some how.

I have met and talked with Killbilly on several occasions.  I have been friends with Billythekidrock (Killbillys hunting partner) since before I moved back to Washington back in July of 07. . . . . . I am pretty sure Killbilly and BTKR have known each other for around 40 years?

I can't see Killbilly lying over something like this.  If he says he didn't shoot the rifle between getting it from you and selling in to huntnphool than he didn't. 

Killbilly isn't stupid enough to try and shoot a .22 through a .17.

BUT IF YOU LOOK AT BOTH BULLETS THERE ALOT DIFFERENT.......ALOT!

If you don't have a .22 or a .17cwhere did you get the shells for the pic?

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2009, 06:22:30 PM »
 :yeah:
That's the magic question everyone is asking??? It looks an awful lot like the .22 that Huntnphool pulled out of the barrel?  :dunno:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »
:yeah:
That's the magic question everyone is asking??? It looks an awful lot like the .22 that Huntnphool pulled out of the barrel?  :dunno:

I agree.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 08:12:05 PM by billythekidrock »

catwithboost

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2009, 07:05:16 PM »
All the shooting with a 22 I have done that is not a everyday round to have laying around.  :dunno:

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
My other question is why wouldn't you have cleaned the rifle before selling it to Killbilly?  or at least gone over it? 

I have always had an anal habit of looking down the barrel of my rifle (still sounds bad every time I say it :o) before and after I clean it.

If Killbilly didn't shoot the rifle and Huntphool didn't shoot the rifle.  I am pretty sure both have gun safes and it would be pretty hard for someone to sneak off with the .17 and shoot a .22 shell through it.  Killbilly and Huntnphool didn't shoot the rifle before the obstruction was found. 

It had to have been fired either by you Jay, or someone close to you.  Maybe you should start asking your friends and family if the may have barrowed your .17. 

You say Killbily is like an uncle to you.  Why would you call him a liar by suggesting that it was shot after he received it?  After he told you he never fired it!

As for huntnphool, I have talked guns with him on more than a few occasions.  He knows his rifles.  Their is no way he is dumb enough to try shooting a .22 bullet through a .17 rifle. 

I'm not even that stupid and I don't have a 1/10 of the gun knowledge that those guys do.

The obstruction was put their while you owned the rifle Jay.  Wether you did it or not.  I think you should either come forward and confess or ask around and find out who took your gun with out your permission! 

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 07:35:24 PM »
Were you the only one to fire that rifle?  Are you sure?  Also were you the only one to load the magazine on the rifle?  No possible way a buddy thought he was being cute and playing a joke by putting the .22 in at the last shot?  If so that is a stupid ass joke and I would be kicking some ass.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »
Well man, it was well know among some of us who all the transactions were done by.  You were not sold out, or put down, but you sure opened your mug again when you should have kept it shut.  Its fine to man up about it...but that first post...
Great write up man. I am sure who ever sold it feels very bad. Probably didnt even know it was blocked or he probably wouldnt have ever sold it. Specially knowing it was going into a little kids hands.

But thanks for sharing the story. Good read!

appears pretty weasel to me.   Michelle had so many good points I can't even keep track.   This was probably an instance when you should have kept your mouth shut and learned something.  NOT make excuses.   

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »

MB

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »

MB

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 07:55:34 PM »
Pretty much sums it up. :rolleyes:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]